UFC News and Discussion Thread

The UFC is opening up a Women's Flyweight division, with the winner of TUF 26 to decide its first champion. Because apparently there's such a ton of talent that we need 4 women divisions, despite one of them not even having an actual division besides the champion. 

Also, they confirmed some of the rumoured fights for UFC 213, namely Cowboy / Lawler, Werdum / Overeem and Pettis / Jim Miller.

• Like 1

Bisping/GSP appears to be off, Dana has said that they're not willing to wait until October for GSP to be ready when the fight was originally planned for July.

Bisping is going to face Yoel Romero instead, where he will be mauled.

• 2 weeks later...

Whitaker / Romero are facing each other at UFC 213 for the interim middleweight championship, because... why not, I guess. Have one contender knock another off and hope you can make that absolute trash of a superfight in GSP / Bisping.

Also, holy tone deafness, UFC & Reebok. They gave out a coupon code for 50% off for a ONE-TIME PURCHASE at Reebok.com. The fighters have to use apply the promo code at the check out page :rolleyes:

De Randamie (and management) has refused to fight Justino for the title, because of doubts regarding her past usage of performance enhancing drugs. It's an interesting statement to make, but since Justino hasn't been caught since 2011 and her previous ban was lifted retroactively by USASA, and De Randamie barely has any credibility as a champion or as a fighter, (and the fact she won the title in a dubious match as is.) It really comes across as her ducking an opponent that would be a massive favourite to beat Germaine with not much effort.

• Like 1

Does anyone even care about de Randemie or her title anymore? Cyborg has already moved on to Megan Anderson or the absolutely shit Angela Magana it seems. It's actually interesting who I would want Cyborg to maul more, de Randemie or Magana.

de Randemie is garbage tbh. She needs to stfu and fight, or not. But definitely she can stfu.

In other words, Gustafsson fucking amazes me. The same guy who doesn't look at all like a true title threat in just about any fight he's in, goes to fucking war and damn near (and arguably did) beat both Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier. Wouldn't mind seeing Gus/Jones 2.

Also, I thought Misha Cirkunov was going to be one of the breakout guys at 205... He might still be, but after his fight against Oezdemir, Oezdemir looks like a beast as well. Maybe the 205 pound division is getting a bit more interesting... Still no guys that can really compete with DC and Bones, though.

Couldn't be any happier to see Alex Nicholson get fucking wrecked. Big ups to Jack Hermansson on that one.

Marcin Held's stock is also now at an all time low. 

Great card though, most of the fights delivered. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Big Bratwurst said:

de Randemie is garbage tbh. She needs to stfu and fight, or not. But definitely she can stfu.

In other words, Gustafsson fucking amazes me. The same guy who doesn't look at all like a true title threat in just about any fight he's in, goes to fucking war and damn near (and arguably did) beat both Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier. Wouldn't mind seeing Gus/Jones 2.

Also, I thought Misha Cirkunov was going to be one of the breakout guys at 205... He might still be, but after his fight against Oezdemir, Oezdemir looks like a beast as well. Maybe the 205 pound division is getting a bit more interesting... Still no guys that can really compete with DC and Bones, though.

Couldn't be any happier to see Alex Nicholson get fucking wrecked. Big ups to Jack Hermansson on that one.

Marcin Held's stock is also now at an all time low. 

Great card though, most of the fights delivered. 

The whole de Randemie situation is fucking weird. It seemed like they brought in the 145 division because they were stuck for a headliner at 208, and now they don't seem to want to do anything with it. There's currently two fighters in the division, they don't seem to be in any hurry to sign Megan Anderson, and I get the feeling they will give Cyborg a harsh punishment for the Magana bullshit because they don't seem to want to give her a title shot. 

Gustafsson is a baller, always rated him. Kind of shitty that Trevor Smith makes more sponsorship money than Gus though. Oezdemir vs Manuwa is the fight to make now I reckon. 

Nicholson sucks, and Held will be cut. So underwhelming. 

Also afternoon cards are the best. 

5 hours ago, Cymbols said:

The whole de Randemie situation is fucking weird. It seemed like they brought in the 145 division because they were stuck for a headliner at 208, and now they don't seem to want to do anything with it. 

I would assume they made the division to try and squeeze the last bit of marketability out of Holly Holm, so when she lost to a relative unknown the entire division has been left out in the cold.

They seem to be obsessed with adding more divisions but I really can't see how there's a big enough talent pool for four separate Women's divisions.

6 hours ago, Cymbols said:

Oezdemir vs Manuwa is the fight to make now I reckon. 

I wouldn't mind watching Gus/Manuwa on the undercard of Jones/DC 2 if both men are ready by then. If not I'd be cool with Oezdemir vs. Manuwa, while Gus gets the next shot I guess. Wish Rumble wouldn't have retired. Would love to see a rematch with either Gus or Manuwa.

4 minutes ago, The Big Bratwurst said:

I wouldn't mind watching Gus/Manuwa on the undercard of Jones/DC 2 if both men are ready by then. If not I'd be cool with Oezdemir vs. Manuwa, while Gus gets the next shot I guess. Wish Rumble wouldn't have retired. Would love to see a rematch with either Gus or Manuwa.

Gus won't fight Manuwa again, after they fought they started training together and are now good mates. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cymbols said:

Gus won't fight Manuwa again, after they fought they started training together and are now good mates. 

Ah, hadn't known that. Shame, I think them fighting now would be much better than the last one.

Few things about 212.

1. Matthew Lopez looks like a murderer. Kid didn't have much trouble against Eduardo, and Eduardo is a very, very good fighter. That's 3 fights to begin Lopez's career and 3 wins over top 15 opponents. This kid is the real deal.

2. Kelleher is another rising talent at 135, jeez that talent is stacked and is getting more and more guys that can compete. Kelleher submitted the sturdy top 15 staple in Iuri Alcantara, even on late notice. The question is who you give him next. One thing for sure, bantamweight is loaded. Garbrandt, Dillashaw, Cruz, Assuncao, Moraes, Sterling... And way more rising as well. Incredible.

3. Antonio Carlos Junior might be the next gatekeeper at middleweight. Talented enough to beat guys not quite over the hump, but I don't see him being good enough to compete with the bulk of top 15 any time soon. And even if he does, not top 10.

4. Paulo Borrochinha or however you spell his last name is a murderer as well. Beach strikes, hard hitter, great potential. He's one to watch at 185.

5. Assuncao vs. Moraes was a good fight to me, shame the fans shit on it though. I think the judges in Brazil are terrible. In what world could you give Assuncao a 30-27 win there? A split decision victory did nothing to further Assuncao and many (myself included) think Moraes was the victor. If Moraes got the win, he would be poised for Cruz/Garbrandt/Dillashaw... But with the judges giving him a loss, maybe he should face someone a little lower in the rankings like Johnny Eduardo or Iuri Alcantara who both lost tonight... But the direction I'd go is have him face Brian Caraway. Two clear top 10 bantamweights, and two guys that are both coming off losses to Assuncao. Book it.

6. Assuncao is a tougher one to book. He can't go against Garbrandt/Cruz/Dillashaw as he hasn't seemed impressive enough. It seems he might always be stuck right outside that top bunch. I would prefer him to face Jimmie Rivera, but he's set to go against Thomas Almeida and that's gonna be in late July. So I'd rather see him go against either John Lineker or John Dodson, I'd choose the former. Let Lineker come in and throw those bombs, see if he can top Assuncao. If he can? You have 4 guys at the top of the Bantamweight rankings that's would be fun fights in any way that they're booked. Garbrandt vs. Lineker would be a slug fest. Cruz vs. Lineker would be a battle of smart, tactical striking and amazing all around game against a brawler who wants to take your head off, but also has severely underrated ground skill. Dillashaw vs. Lineker would be a mix of both. So book Assuncao vs. Lineker and hope Lineker can rise to the occasion.

7. Belfort wants five more fights? Lord... I don't think anyone wants to see him 5 more times. Maybe give him one more fight in the UFC.. Put him up against Uriah Hall and hope he rises to the occasion, or let Johny Hendricks come in and knock his head off before sending him to Bellator. Other than that, I'd like to see Silva vs. Belfort 2, but Anderson wouldn't sign for that... outside of that fight, Rashad Evans vs. Vitor Belfort could be marketable and a showdown between two guys that used to be incredible. Hector Lombard also stands out as a potential loser goes to Bellator fight, but that's the last one I'd like to see. Hall, Hendricks, Evans. Take your pick. I think all 3 would send him packing.

8. Really annoyed that Gadelha got the win here. A JJ/KK rematch in Poland would've been the fight to make. Instead, we get Gadelha as the victor who's already lost to the champ twice seemingly stuck. I'm not sure who I'd wanna see her fight, and the same with KK... Sigh.

9. Max Holloway, welcome to the top. He looked great after seemingly being nervous at the beginning. He's the king of the mountain at Featherweight now, and a dream of mine would be Holloway vs. McGregor 2, but Conor isn't coming back to featherweight... maybe not even to the UFC. Realistically, you could give him Cub Swanson like he asked, and that's the road I'd go down while having Frankie Edgar fight Lamas now that Chan Sung Jung is out of their fight, with the winner being next in line. Possibly the last opportunity for Edgar to fight for the belt.

10. Aldo really should try and head to a different weight class with a reinvention. Featherweight passed one of the P4P GOAT's with Conor and Holloway. Seeing him in a new weight class with new opponents would be a nice sight. If not, though, let him fight Pettis if he beats Jim Miller... that would've been a super fight two or three years ago. If Pettis fails, Aldo and Korean Zombie.

• Like 1

Fun card really. 

Good for Holloway, dude deserves all the credit he gets. Will be interesting to see if the UFC pull the trigger on a Hawaii card. Worked out perfectly for Frankie Edgar too, and Cub Swanson. 

Wasn't quite as enjoyable as Friday's Cage Warriors card, but maybe that's because I'm more invested in the guys that compete for them. Craig White was the big winner, for me. 

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

I don't know if this should be in here or the Boxing thread, but Mayweather v McGregor has been agreed and signed by both parties and  looks set to be taking place on August 26th. 

I'm betting that it's going to be a terrible fight.

Really not sure who I want to win. It really has to end on a KO though.

Germaine de Randamie has been stripped of the Women's Featherweight title for refusing to fight the number one contender, that being Cyborg.

The vacant title will be on the line in the co-Main Event of UFC 214, Cyborg facing Invicta Featherweight champion Megan Anderson.

It should be noted that the UFC cares so little about this division that they don't even bother doing rankings for it.

• Like 2