UFC News and Discussion Thread

How about this for a tough break: John Phillips heads over to Ireland to join up with Conor McGregor's team ahead of his UFC debut. Because he's only just joined up with them, he's currently living in a camper van in SBG's car park. About a week before the fight, he is denied an American visa because he doesn't have a fixed address, which apparently makes him a risk of staying there illegally, and so is pulled from the card. 

Another fun one. Diego Brandao is back tonight, fighting for EFN is Russia. Except he can't leave the country because his passport expired and he's apparently been staying at the embassy there. Oh, and he's decked out in his old UFC Reebok kit ? 

He just won with a pretty sweet armbar too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo.. that featherweight title fight, eh? Holm looked rough as hell after that one. She also believes that de Randamie's punches after the bell were intentional. De Randamie, for what it's worth, says they weren't. 

Technically, the fight stops when the referee intervenes, rather than on the buzzer, so it's more a case of slack refereeing than anything else.

Appalling officiating on the card though. Eric Colon consistently gave baffling decisions, (28-28 in Poirier vs Miller, 30-27 Silva vs Brunson), and despite being friends with him, Doug Crosby was allowed to judge Nik Lentz's fight, and hey, guess what, whilst two judges scored it 30-25 to Lentz's opponent, Crosby only went 30-27. 

Josh Barnett on CM Punk and UFC

"Well, I think they invested all this time and effort and energy into him, then, absolutely, they should give him another fight." Barnett continued, "I don't know what kind of contract he has, but usually, it's a multi-fight deal. He was getting into some pretty deep water to begin with, but I don't think he was mistaken in that, in any sense of the word. I think that he knew what a difficult climb this was going to be. But kudos to him to step forward and do it anyways."

While Barnett described Mickey Gall, Punk's opponent at UFC 203, as "a very talented fighter on the rise," 'The Warmaster' suggested that culling a more favorable opponent for Punk would be a bit much to ask of UFC.

"I think people would be more interested to see a back and forth, see a match that was hotly contested, but it's really up to them. It's a lot to ask a company like the UFC to do such a thing, but it's within their power."

Brock Lesnar has notified the UFC of his retirement from MMA

Brock Lesnar has made no official announcements, but he has notified the UFC of his retirement from MMA, a UFC spokesperson confirmed with MMA Fighting on Tuesday.

Lesnar has also been removed from the USADA drug-testing pool, meaning he is no longer officially on the UFC roster, per USADA spokesperson Ryan Madden. Last week, it was reported that Lesnar’s name had been removed from the UFC’s unofficial online roster.

Yeah, pretty awful refereeing in that one, not sure why he's standing there watching somebody like Lewis rain down shots on an out of it fighter.

I think Hendricks is in a pretty bad position despite winning last night, just don't think he's big enough or good enough for this division right now. He can't go back down a division because the weight cut is/was destroying him and at Middleweight I can't see him being a credible threat to the top fighters. Don't see him beating any of the current top 10 and imagine he'd get mauled against guys like Rockhold etc. 

Matt Riddle:

“I get this question a lot and Sometimes I’m like f**k that dude Dana White because he is an asshole, he was really cold blooded towards me. And if you think about it, the situation I’m in. One of your employees had their third child and is still doing good work but failed a drug test again, maybe he needs help? Maybe you go another route he did, called me a loser and did all that.”

[...]

“I’m not the biggest fan of Mr. White,” he continued. “I don’t think he has good business ethics. I don’t think he does things properly, I don’t think he treats people properly. I think that’s about it, I could sit here and badmouth him all day, but at the end of the day I just don’t think he’s a good person. Does that mean he’s not going to be successful? Probably the opposite. He’ll probably be extremely successful for the rest of his life because he’s a mean person and bad. But at the same time, that’s just how the world works sometimes.”

Guy had a 5 fight win streak cut to 3-0 (2NC) and forfeited thousands of dollars in fight purses because he couldn't follow the rules. Zero sympathy when he's moaning about getting cut and not being able to pay his bills.