House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

I get what you're saying, but....there are consequences when you miss deadlines, and in just about any other occupation he'd be unemployed by now. But he'd rather do them at his own pace, rather than trying to meet deadlines, which quite frankly smacks of disrespecting his fans. There are plenty of authors who do multiple books a year - one I know of usually cranks out 4 to 6 (which would probably equal 2 to 3 of Martin's)- yet he goes and writes/edits other things instead of finishing. And he's said that another writer won't be allowed to finish the series if he does not.

Instead of Martin saying `fuck you to those people', there are people who should be saying `fuck you' to him. 

And yes, he's 67. But there have been 5 and 6 year breaks between some of the novels. If Winds of Winter is the last novel, then everything should be fine. If he ever gets it finished.

Bottom line is, Martin is a slow fuck for a writer.

*edited to add* If he doesn't have the next book out by August, then there will have only been 5 books released over 20 years.

Edited by GhostMachine

I'd rather he do the books in his own time than have him rush it. 

To say anything along the lines of "You must finish this thing I like quickly, because you might die soon, and then I won't get the thing I like!" is quite a juvenile mentality to have. It is perfectly fine to say you want the book to be finished ASAP because your a huge fan but there really is no need to bring mortality into the discussion.

• Like 8

What is the 'damned padding' you're referring to exactly?

I also agree with Walker, I'd rather wait another year and get the best version of the novel he's capable of doing than have him rush half the book for the sake of 'pleasing the fans', which is a rubbish argument anyway since almost all of the comments I've seen regarding his announcement have been outpourings of support for him.

It's his book, his story, what's the publisher going to do if he misses the deadline? Sack him? No, they'll just extend the deadline and maybe cut a percentage of his fee. I'm sure he's made enough money for that not to matter to him very much. Sure they could try and sue him but what good what that do them or him?

I hate this idea of disrespecting fans, he's putting down on paper a story that came to his head before any fan ever got involved. I was reading a blog post on the "Machete Order" for Star Wars and the author pointed out that regardless how you feel about the Prequels, George Lucas had a story he was dying to tell and whether the fans are happy or not, he did it how he wanted, that is the story he wanted to tell. Same with George RR Martin, it's his story and while we might be gutted about it, he can do what he damn well pleases. To us A Song of Ice and Fire might be a huge deal, but frankly to him, he's got other works he wants to do which may take priority. Also he has said time and time again that he only works at home and because of the success of the show and books he's had contractual commitments to do appearances here there and everywhere, so his time is limited.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

I get what you're saying, but....there are consequences when you miss deadlines, and in just about any other occupation he'd be unemployed by now. But he'd rather do them at his own pace, rather than trying to meet deadlines, which quite frankly smacks of disrespecting his fans. There are plenty of authors who do multiple books a year - one I know of usually cranks out 4 to 6 (which would probably equal 2 to 3 of Martin's)- yet he goes and writes/edits other things instead of finishing. And he's said that another writer won't be allowed to finish the series if he does not.

Instead of Martin saying `fuck you to those people', there are people who should be saying `fuck you' to him. 

And yes, he's 67. But there have been 5 and 6 year breaks between some of the novels. If Winds of Winter is the last novel, then everything should be fine. If he ever gets it finished.

Bottom line is, Martin is a slow fuck for a writer.

*edited to add* If he doesn't have the next book out by August, then there will have only been 5 books released over 20 years.

Good Lord.

On 03/01/2016 at 11:32, Jericode said:

What is the 'damned padding' you're referring to exactly?

I think what they mean is.

On 03/01/2016 at 11:01, metalman said:

He's also very fat.

I was just thinking.. (season 5/6 spoiler talk, just a really stupid laugh really)

Spoiler

What if Jon Snow is hella really dead? It'd be some masterful work were he. Kit Harrington's been spotted around Dublin, there's photos of him hanging around set, but what if season 6 opens and it's Jon Snow's lifeless body, set alight, and then a shot of his charred ashes, and the Night's Watch just carries on like normal. It'd be hilarious - upsetting to probably like, every fan of the show and the books - but still bloody hilarious. 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think I saw a few

Spoiler

theon being 'baptised' meaning he's returned home, looked like the Kingsmoot too.

Asha looking disheveled in one shot.

Boltons were the army in that shot, could see their banner on the shield. Couldn't see the opposing flag?

Not much else which wasn't obvious to me. Catch anything else worth looking on?

Edited by Tigerstyle

Yes caught a few things:

Please only click if you've read the books or have knowledge of the ASOIAF universe.

Spoiler

- Caught an image of EURON~!

- Caught an image of Young Ned Stark leading his men to the Tower of Joy

- Arthur Dayne? 

https://i.gyazo.com/646adf57c3bfc29992f2b32926da0a37.png

- Mel about to resurrect Jon?

• 2 weeks later...