House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

The Brotherhood without Banners will become more important as the story progresses. As alluded to in the episode though, they are a group that is anti-Lannister.

Spoiler regarding who the group is led by (Character from season 1)

The group is led by Beric Dondarrion, who is the man that Eddard Stark sent out to bring the King's Justice to The Mountain.

Damn, the temptation to click on that spoiler link is goddamn strong. I hate that I have to wait an entire week for the next episode, damn.

Just started on the second book today, about a few pages into the prologue. Don't know why, but I don't feel like reading it, it's like I really want to watch the entire second season before I dive into the book.

A Storm of Swords (third book) spoilers concerning the Brotherhood Without Banners and a few other characters:

NBT's post reminded me that the Brotherhood Without Banners is who finds Catelyn's corpse after the Red Wedding and resurrects her. It's going to be awesome when they get to the Red Wedding in the show, and the events after that.

Also, a very minor thing from the episode that annoyed me to no end:

They took away Renly's peach (from the Stannis/Renly scene)! I don't get why =\ It was a really character defining moment for Stannis and Renly in the books. On top of that, I felt like the scene was poorly set up: it wasn't really established in the show where exactly Stannis came from.

Meh, I don't want to come across like a BOOK IS BETTER RAWR whiner, but it bugs me that we keep getting unnecessary Ros scenes when the time could be used to pad out the other scenes bit more. She's getting almost as much screen time (or more) as Sansa or Robb, ffs.

I thought it was a stonkingly good episode. Joffrey was on fine form as the despicable little shit, and his send a message to Tyrion through the girls was chilling. I was delighted to see the fact that the nudity in each of the scenes in this episode actually had merit as far as the story and characters went, made a great change of pace from the usual "lol, here's Littlefinger and some tits".

I thought it was a stonkingly good episode. Joffrey was on fine form as the despicable little shit, and his send a message to Tyrion through the girls was chilling. I was delighted to see the fact that the nudity in each of the scenes in this episode actually had merit as far as the story and characters went, made a great change of pace from the usual "lol, here's Littlefinger and some tits".

This. There's nothing wrong with there being nudity as long as it actually does something.

Damn, the temptation to click on that spoiler link is goddamn strong. I hate that I have to wait an entire week for the next episode, damn.

Just started on the second book today, about a few pages into the prologue. Don't know why, but I don't feel like reading it, it's like I really want to watch the entire second season before I dive into the book.

I don't think it will really spoil anything, I'd be surprised if people actually remember the character given how small of a role they played in the first season.

A Storm of Swords (third book) spoilers concerning the Brotherhood Without Banners and a few other characters:

NBT's post reminded me that the Brotherhood Without Banners is who finds Catelyn's corpse after the Red Wedding and resurrects her. It's going to be awesome when they get to the Red Wedding in the show, and the events after that.

The resurrection of Catelyn (Who is a character I hate) really soured me, I still haven't started Feast yet because of it. And while the Red Wedding was a really shocking moment, Robb getting slaughtered in favour of the Freys was annoying to me. It seems like the book will favour Arya or Jon Snow becoming Winterfell's heir but Robb was my preferred choice.

NBT (more Storm of Swords book spoilers so beware, blah blah blah):

I don't really feel too strongly about Catelyn one way or the other, but I loved how she takes over the Brotherhood and rather than being an honourable band of outlaws, she turns it into this vehicle for her own personal vengeance.

As for Robb's death, I feel the same way about him being heir to Winterfell and hated seeing him die, but that seems to be George RR Martin's M.O. - killing off the characters most people like. <_<

Just finished reading Storm of Swords so spoilers ahoy about said book.

Jesus was their a lot of death! The deaths of Catelyn and Robb actually sickened me, Lysa's death was great, I never liked her but finding out she was the one who killed Jon Arryn was a shocker too, I mean it's clear she never liked him but killing him :o I fear for Sansa stuck with Little finger though, poor girl hasn't had much luck :(

I'm going to assume that Tywin Lannister's death is going to take up a big part of A Feast for Crows, had a flick through the chapters as I tend to like to see which POV characters are in the book and am I right in thinking Danys and Tyrion are not in a Feast for Crows? I really like both characters :( interesting to see that news of Danys' dragons has begun to spread in Oldtown as well going by the first chapter which is all I've read so far.

I really did enjoy Tyrion's line though about Tywin's death, it was not true that Tywin shit gold. I'm really scared of dying now as the book talks so much about the shitting aspect of it!

Ayra is drifting further and further away from Winterfell and I cannot see her getting back their again, same for Jon, so annoyed he was voted commander, I wanted him to take up Stannis' offer and become the lord of Winterfell, glad he found ghost again though. Very little mentioning of Bran and company throughout the book though.

Such is the scale of his book that I really think each character could have two or three books a lone on their experiences, I mean sometimes you can go 150 to 200 pages without hearing from one of them, which is something I enjoy as it keeps so many stories going at the same time and I like when they occasionally cross paths but miss each other.

Final word on Catelyn at the very end, what the fuck?! She's alive? How?!

Edited by Sam

Couldn't sleep and I had the season one episodes just sitting there so I blasted through them all. The show is great stuff, although I'm not entirely shocked by anything in particular. Ned's beheading I felt was always going to happen, although I did hope that maybe he'd be spared, but I do like it when a show/story is ballsy enough to kill off main characters if it helps the plot. Enjoying the feud between the Lannisters and the Starks although I spent four episodes confused because it wasn't made clear to me that Jaime and the queen were brother and sister, that or I just didn't expect an incest angle. She's getting it on with all the Lannister boys it seems!

Favourite characters are probably Dany's advisor, Jon Snow or the dwarf, although the latter I find amusing but not award winning. Favourite storyline is easily the whole Khalisse bidness. Was worried that it'd become an abuse angle, designed to shock and show us how barbarian the barbarians really can be. Very glad she won over the Kahl, and he was pretty damn bad ass, wish we'd have got some more mileage from him. Dany makes me think of Boudicca, and I've loved her story so far. Gaining power over her husband, eating a horses heart and keeping it down, and generally being willing to do whatever it takes to reclaim the kingdom. Her brother's death got a hearty thumbs up from me.

Question: Why the fuck can't she feel fire? Is it the dragons blood? But to whoever complained that she wasn't bald like the books had her: fuck that, she's perfectionist beauty. I'm hoping she continues on and becomes a bad ass feared leader who mounts a great effort against whoever happens to hold the throne come season 3/4, whenever they get to it. I've a feeling season 2 will introduce more of "north of the wall" and we'll get a few more complications thrown in around the plot that will, hopefully, lead to all those damn Lannister's getting beheaded - except the dwarf, he's cool.

Holy shit.

That shadow thing was fucking weird, but hey, 100,000 men aren't really going to be too great a test for something like that. I figured she was evil of some kind, but that was not what I anticipated. Fucking crazy. A few friends of mine don't like the magic aspect, but we're gonna get fucking DRAGONS, so reality has to vanish somewhere.

Bronn is brilliant, really really brilliant. Joffrey continued to be a proper cunt, but he does it all in such a heelish way that I cannot wait for him to get his comeuppance. I just hope it's something substantial and not "dammit, infection strikes again". Tyrion is great stuff too, very glad that he's actively trying to be good whilst the rest of his family are bastards. Not in the Jon Snow way.

My only complaint is that there just doesn't seem to be enough time per episode to fully showcase everything that's going on, and we've only got 10 episodes to get through everything. Now, if this was the length of a season of LOST (24/25 episodes), or even 18, it might work out, but I feel like a lot is going to be missed out at this rate. Then again, time doesn't seem to be a factor on the show so maybe they'll get around things like that.

Have to echo the annoyance with most scenes with Ros being a waste of time, but this episode didn't feel that way so I'm glad about that. And now to stay up until the next episode becomes available!

Edited by Devil In Jouzy City

Such a good episode tonight!

Renly is dead, and that makes me sad....but two characters are now up there in my favorites! Brienne (I think that's her name?) and the creepy guard/prisoner near Arya...he is just so awesome. "You saved three lives, we will take three lives."

That is AWESOME.

Such a good episode tonight!

Renly is dead, and that makes me sad....but two characters are now up there in my favorites! Brienne (I think that's her name?) and the creepy guard/prisoner near Arya...he is just so awesome. "You saved three lives, we will take three lives."

That is AWESOME.

I know right! That little smile on her face right at the end of episode when she pieced it all together was priceless.

Fantastic episode.

Really rooting for Brienne (sp?) and I'm very glad that she's going to be defending Cat, I hope she manages to get some measure of revenge for Renly, poor guy died without doing a whole lot.

Felt kinda sorry for Theon because, bless him, he's trying. I'd have just stabbed the guy who was questioning me and gone about my day, but he's clearly a pussy >_>. Annoyed that he's gone against the Stark's though, stupid Alfie. Speaking of Starks, where the hell is Robb and why is he not the main character! I demand more Stark.

Wait, was this episode the first without any nudey scenes? I can't remember, but maybe they've listened :o! (Or they're waiting for littlefinger to return to his whore house so Ros can get her ten minutes an episode back).

The big character death this episode would have been a lot better if the fucking episode summary hadn't made it blatantly clear what was going to happen. As it stood, it felt like kind of a clunkily-written and anticlimactic scene. I think the latter was intended, the former not so much.