House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

Can we ban this guy? I don't care if it's a real spoiler or not. I want him banned.

You're a real piece of shit maninblack. You post a possible spoiler that is of future episodes/seasons without any warning? There is a special place in hell for your kind of people.

Although I don't share the same fervor as my companion here, I do agree that if you're going to post a plot spoiler that hasn't happened yet in the show, to mark it as such. Now if maninblack was simply saying he wanted to see it happen and didn't know, sure, that's fine. With spoiler tags after a recent episode people will assume that it's talking about what just happened, and I've always seen people warn about possible spoilers later if they haven't happened. Just a bit of courtesy would be nice.

Zan, could you PM me to confirm or deny that maninblack just spoiled something without warning? I didn't read his comment so I have no clue what he said, but if he did so I'm going to have to make an actual decision.

Okay. maninblack is warned. No suspension on posting abilities because it's more being careless than malicious. There's actually precedent in the rules stokie set up about posting outside the spoiler box, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of us haven't read them.

So, from now on let's set some clear rules about spoiler tags in here.

1. Anything from season one of the show and the first book doesn't need spoiler tags. If you're in this thread it should basically be expected that you're not going to be mortified over reading about something that aired a year ago.
  2. Anything from this current season operates under the same rule as wrestling; post it behind spoilers for the first 48 hours, ideally with some sort of comment indicating that it's from that season. After that, it's fair game.
  3. Anything from the second book onwards must be behind a spoiler cut with text outside the cut noting it's a book spoiler, out of courtesy for those of us who are watching the show with little to no knowledge of what happens in the book. Once the second season finishes, discussion of the second book will probably be fair game.

Does anyone have any problems with that?

I think what he posted was a bit of a gray-area though. When I first read it it sounded like he was saying something along the lines of "I hate this character and I hope I get to see he/she die", but I can see how it could be interpreted as "I know this character is going to die and I am excited to see it". It's just the sort of thing that I can see someone post without knowing if it actually comes true.

So...I guess if you're making predictions make it clear if you're only just speculating?

Oh, and in happier news, we're getting a 3rd season! Yaaaaaay!

Yes please people. Not all of us read the books. Dont assume we already know something is going to happen. I'm hoping if that was a real spoiler I forget that I saw it by the time it happens. It's a distinct possibility but I'm still upset that we dont have this kind of thing down by now.

I think what he posted was a bit of a gray-area though. When I first read it it sounded like he was saying something along the lines of "I hate this character and I hope I get to see he/she die", but I can see how it could be interpreted as "I know this character is going to die and I am excited to see it". It's just the sort of thing that I can see someone post without knowing if it actually comes true.

So...I guess if you're making predictions make it clear if you're only just speculating?

Yeah, definitely, I agree with this.

Guest mr. potato head

Since it hasn't quite been 48 hours:

Wonderful episode. Theon's sister is great. Tyrion and Bronn are great. Arya is great. Only complaint is that with so many characters, most only get one scene an episode (or less, THERE'S A WAR GOING ON SOMEWHERE!).

RE: MPH's spoiler. (No actual spoilers for anything other than general pacing issues).

Agreed, it does seem a bit all over the place, but I guess that's part of the problem of condensing a book written from several POV characters into an episodic series. It's a necesary evil, and I imagine it won't be nearly as noticeable when it comes to rewatching series' en masse.

My only quibble with the episode was Stannis and Melisandre fucking on the table. From what I remember there was no indictation that anything like that was ever going to happen in the books (I'm still to read Feast for Crows onwards), Stannis is stoic, emotionless and removed from everything but taking what is rightfully his, the fact he doesn't have a male heir is hardly ever mentioned.

Also, the fact that his wife is only mentioned in passing leads me to think they're not going to show Stannis' daughter or Patchface on screen.

My only quibble with the episode was Stannis and Melisandre fucking on the table. From what I remember there was no indictation that anything like that was ever going to happen in the books (I'm still to read Feast for Crows onwards), Stannis is stoic, emotionless and removed from everything but taking what is rightfully his, the fact he doesn't have a male heir is hardly ever mentioned.

Also, the fact that his wife is only mentioned in passing leads me to think they're not going to show Stannis' daughter or Patchface on screen.

ACoK Book Spoilers:

I think it was implied that Stannis sexed Mel in order to make the Shadow Assassin, so it's not entirely out of the question.

ACoK Book Spoilers:

I think it was implied that Stannis sexed Mel in order to make the Shadow Assassin, so it's not entirely out of the question.

Continued spoilers

The one that kills Renly? Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. Been a while since I've read that book.

ACoK Book Spoilers:

My memory is completetly failing me as to where and when it is so I'm going to apologise for being so stupidly vague but with regards to the above spoiler,

there is something that implies an offer to another character and so the possible implications could be confirmed. Not quite as in your face as the TV show makes it though

Again, sorry for the vagueness hopefully not too bad!

But...but...sex! And sex! And more sex! It'd been at least fifteen minutes since the last sex scene, they couldn't take the risk that the audience might forget it's an 'grown up' show.

Just finished blazing through this up to date, after having put it off as 'boring elfy crap' for ages. Holy Fuck, I could not have been more wrong. America has the best dramas. Love every minute of it. Every episode feels so long, but not in a bad way, if that makes sense? I often forget that things have happened in the same episode as the one I'm watching, and not a few before. When does this air over there, so I can get my next fix?