House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

I do like that, from what I gather from fans, they're following the books. I can't stand when producers try to re-imagine this stuff. There's a reason it got popular in the first place.

What kind of differences have you noticed so far between the series and the books?

Theyve followed the book pretty closely, as far as adaptations go. That said, plenty of scenes were trimmed in dialogue, missing some of, IMO, the better lines in the book (notably the scene with Lord Frey -- they cut almost all of the humor from the scene). On the other hand, theyve added in a lot of (s)exposition scenes, so anything featuring Roz is new material. There's also a few new scenes, such as the conversation between Varys and Littlefinger: basically, any scene that doesn't have a Stark, Jon, Tyrion or Dany in it is fresh material.

The cast is also much trimmed down from the book, with a large number of secondary characters of varying importance not appearing, for obvious casting reasons. (Though I do like how they've squeezed who they can in, like Maege Mormont (Jorah's sister) in as a background extra, not to mention Beric Dondarrion's one scene)

They also added a lot more material concerning Theon Greyjoy and Balon's Rebellion, presumably to set up Theon's far larger role in the next season

• 1 month later...

Anyone else been reading the books since season one finished? I'm about a hundred pages away from finishing book three, part two. Some of the twists have been crazy, particularly

[Massive spoiler, no joke]

The Freys killing Robb Stark and Catelyn Stark at the wedding. I've just got past The Mountain killing the Red Viper of Dorne but have a feeling Tyrion will escape his death sentence somehow.

Neh, not your fault at all, mate, I even saw your post say "until book three" or something ike that, and I still clicked it. Itchy fingers, I guess :blush:

I'm only until book one, myself, till episode three, I think, with Catelyn and Tyrion in the inn.

EDIT: As in, as I said in the reading thread, I'm reading it day by day, following it by episodes. As in Day 1 I read till the end of epiosde 1, Day 2 till the end of episode 2, etc. Works for me, and it's pretty cool to see the similarities and differences.

Edited by Ben D.D. Cuntface

Oh yeah, I did the same. I'm actually re-watching each episode, but with the book it's just... I don't know, but to me it just gives a more detailed view of why everyone is doing what. Awesome.

Also, I must mention that the mere title "A Song Of Ice And Fire" is brilliant.

Stephane Dillane has been cast to play Stannis in season two which I'm happy with; he should do a good job. I was impressed with his role of Thomas Jefferson in 'John Adams'. Only qualm I have is he could be a little on the scrawny side as I always pictured Stannis a little more broad shouldered.

That was my thinking as well, I always thought Stannis would be taller and broader than Dillane appears to be (Although I don't think I've ever seen him in anything). The casting of Melisandre on the other hand looks brilliant, Brienne of Tarth as well.

Just finished book three, part two. Disappointed with the big reveal in the epilogue, it works for Beric but I can't see it working here.

So I gave this show a third try, and apparently three times a charm. From episode 5 on it really started to click with me and I saw the appeal. I do admit the first two times I watched it I had a few beers already, and my concentration wasn't awesome anymore so I couldn't follow the story well <_< Watched 5 episodes in 2 days now, in HD :wub: But fuck, Sean Bean is dead?! He was one of the main reasons I watched. I almost feel like it's bad casting, 'cause it might turn people off.

Edited by The Quasi Juice

That was my thinking as well, I always thought Stannis would be taller and broader than Dillane appears to be (Although I don't think I've ever seen him in anything). The casting of Melisandre on the other hand looks brilliant, Brienne of Tarth as well.

Just finished book three, part two. Disappointed with the big reveal in the epilogue, it works for Renly but I can't see it working here.

The difference is that Renly never actually came back from the dead, it was his brother who donned his armor for that battle.

And yeah, the Red Wedding is probably the biggest whammy in the series, although the rest of SoS is just one holy shit moment after another. Be warned though, the next two books are slooooow going.

Can someone assist me? I'm reading the book, but also have the TV series ready to go.

In the book, I've reached the point where:

Daenerys has got married, Bran has been shoved off the roof and has broken his back....ermm, Jon has set out to the Wall.

Basically, about 100 pages in. Am I in a position to watch any of the episodes yet without spoiling things for me? Got an itching to start watch, but rather read things first than watch them.

Can't recall 100%, but I'm pretty sure you can watch episode one, and only that. Better to wait for others to confirm though.

I'm halfway through book 2 and its awesome.

Most amazing thing ever.

Glorious! But should be marked with spoilers - especially the last scene.