House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

No Ned Stark?

No Drogo?

No Badass-Drogo Baby?

:angry:

Tiny baby dragons?

:o

Fair trade off? Not quite, but damn, that Targaryen (can't remember her first name) girl is going to fuck shit up. Really enjoyed the finale! Ayria has a new friend in Robert's bastard (I was surprised I realized that)! Rob is winning the war! Jon is going beyond the wall! So many good things for next season.

Wow. That's all I can say. What a way to go out. The entire final episode was one big moment after another that I'm sure we'll be talking about for years to come. Favourites were obviously the final moment with the Dragons, Robb and the moment where everyone is chanting for him to be King of the North and Jon Snow marching to war.

Poor Arya. :( I hope nothing too bad happens to her.

Seriously, that season finale. I knew it was going to be immense. Man, now that Daenerys has three dragons, Robb is preparing for war and Joffrey is arming himself, I can't fucking wait to see what happens in the next season. That finale was everything it should be.

I feel like they made a mistake with making this episode the finale. Last week felt incredibly finale like, whilst this one felt like it was a season opener, setting the scene for what was to come. I feel a little let down, since it was probably the episode with the least 'omgwtfbacon' episodes. Still, the emotion was great, particularly Sansa.

Also, dragons :w00t:

It'll probably be over looked by Maester Pycelle's little scene was my favorite moment of the finale. HE DOES SQUATS! He stretches before council meetings! It makes me want to learn so much more about him now that we've seen he's putting on a mask. And that exaggerated little stoop at the end complete with the "Is it really worth all this shit?" sigh was wonderous.

I have to agree that I would've liked to seen Renley, just to remind us he's in the picture, but they have alot to build up so I can understand if they don't slap him in.

Seeing more of Little Finger and The Spider's respectful hate for each other is nice, so they pretty much just take jabs at each other and freely argue about whose the better treasonous wretch when they're alone in a room together. Good to know.

Baby DRAAAAAAAAGOOOONS! Frickin' awesome.

Shame Rhaego the stallion dragon who will mount the.. wait, worms? ewww... Died offscreen, but it would've have totally killed the vibe, so it's really for the best.

So Robert's Bastard decides to wait and threaten the fat kid picking on the little orphan boy untill the orphan boy is about to shank fatty? A little late maybe? But Stark and Baratheon 2.0 should be made of win.

Dani? Just awesome.. Just awesome.

Plus more baby dragons.

Shame no Bronn this episode.

Charles Dance/Peter Dinklage are perfect together and Tyrion's reaction to being acknowledged as Tywin's son was amazing.

Jaime Lannister is actually developing into one of my favorite characters, which I didn't expect. Him talking with Cat really sold him to me. He was truthful up to a point, didn't dishonor himself by begging for mercy or trying to deal, and was completely sympathetic to her understandible rage. He's a human being and not a archetype. Thumbs up.

Jon Snow? Still fairly bland to me, but he's got a wonderful supporting cast on the wall to carry him.

Bran riding Tonks? Adorable. Shaggy Dog? Adorable. Remembering who Rickon is? Finally.

I have to agree that I would've liked to seen Renley, just to remind us he's in the picture, but they have alot to build up so I can understand if they don't slap him in.

Man, I didn't say this before now but I fucking loved Renly this season because he basically came off as a fairly levelheaded person trapped in an idiot/asshole factory. No clue if that changes as time progresses or if my read's wrong, but I'll find out down the line anyway.

And on a related note, Stupid Ned is my new favorite internet meme.

ex.

tumblr_ll5xxcNXLV1qjuha7o1_400.png

and

tumblr_ll5xifjbdw1qhlu53o1_400.png

Man, I swear all anyone that's read the books does is complain about the little things.

You've met geeks before, right?

My girlfriend has read the book, she's not complained at all.

Only thing she has done is point out the minor differences (like the scene with the dragons at the end? She is supposed to be bald).

I will agree that the finale didn't quite feel like the finale, parts of it even felt like the premiere for Season 2, especially the big reveal at the end. However, if this show has taught us anything, it's that they don't play by traditional television roles. In a normal show, Stark getting beheaded would've been the finale, but here, it felt more like the climax of a book and the finale served to tie up any additional loose ends. Obviously there are still plenty of cliffhangers, but it wrapped up the season nicely, even if the big shocking twists were a week earlier.

• Admin

I watched this from the start and I went into it with absolutely no idea of what to expect, I'd never even heard of the books. I got waaaaaay more than I bargained for and I can't believe 10 episodes went in so fast. For the first time in I don't know how long I actually anticipated each episode every week and on quite a few occasions I was left :o never moreso than with Ned's execution. My jaw quite literally dropped when it happened and I echo previous posters sentiments with regards to HBO having the balls to actually kill Sean Bean's character off given that he was the poster boy for the first series.

Can't wait for season 2 and without sounding too clichéd at this point I really want the books. Utter brilliance.

EDIT: Oh and the opening credits are absolutely epic. Usually I fast forward things like that but I watched them every week without fail.

All those that are saying it 'doesn't fit as a finale' obviously haven't read the book (or indeed, a summary of it). All they did in the last ep was round up the main bits that were missing from the end of the first book.

All those that are saying it 'doesn't fit as a finale' obviously haven't read the book (or indeed, a summary of it). All they did in the last ep was round up the main bits that were missing from the end of the first book.

What difference does that make? You don't have to follow the series based precisely by the book. If rounding things out would fit better moving one episode over to the next season, why not do it? It's hardly a major debate point, but that comment just irks of "your opinion is less significant because you haven't read the books".

What difference does that make? You don't have to follow the series based precisely by the book. If rounding things out would fit better moving one episode over to the next season, why not do it? It's hardly a major debate point, but that comment just irks of "your opinion is less significant because you haven't read the books".

Not at all. It was more a point of that the writers/producers are sticking closely to the books (at least so far anyway). Hence why some people found the events shown as, I dunno, odd maybe? If this was an original series, then yeah, they'd probably have created the ending differently. The point was more that someone who had read the books (or, indeed, the generally summary of the first book on wikipedia or something) wouldn't have been surprised at all with the choice of material for the last few eps. It wasn't at all meant to belittle anyone's opinion, moreso point out that that's (roughly) how the book goes and that they were sticking to it.

I do like that, from what I gather from fans, they're following the books. I can't stand when producers try to re-imagine this stuff. There's a reason it got popular in the first place.

What kind of differences have you noticed so far between the series and the books?

I dunno, I think it held up well as a finale even without the book excuse, especially following the model of a lot of HBO dramas. "Baelor" resolved the main arc/story of the first season but you couldn't have ended the season on Ned's execution, in my opinion. The season finale is there, aside from the obvious need to give the Dany/Dothraki stuff the time it needed to properly come to a close, to pick up all the pieces from the minor storylines; Jon becoming fully committed to the Watch over family ties, Robb having to take more and more responsibility, Tyrion's daddy issues getting paid off with the Hand of the King appointment, etc.