House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

If you don't want to read the books, I'd advise you guys to read A World of Ice and Fire. The whole history of the world, including Westeros, Essos and Valyria is explained in it, and it is fantastic. As far as I remember there aren't any show spoilers as well, it's up till Robert's reign as king. It's also fantastically illustrated.

Is it similar to JRR Tolkein and The Silmarillion?

I've got the first book which I'm going to try and get into again, can take it with me and read it on the way to and from work. Could always pick that book up to and read that before reading the first book

If you don't want to read the books, I'd advise you guys to read A World of Ice and Fire. The whole history of the world, including Westeros, Essos and Valyria is explained in it, and it is fantastic. As far as I remember there aren't any show spoilers as well, it's up till Robert's reign as king. It's also fantastically illustrated.

Is it similar to JRR Tolkein and The Silmarillion?

I've got the first book which I'm going to try and get into again, can take it with me and read it on the way to and from work. Could always pick that book up to and read that before reading the first book

I don't think so, I've never read the Silmarillion but pretty sure it's another story like the Hobbit? AWOIAF is like part history book, part encyclopedia, part novel. It's written in the style of a Maester having written it for Tommen, IIRC.

Sounds like its best to delve into that before trying to read the books. I'll have a look on my lunch break to see if I can find it.

Regarding the theory about Jon Snows heritage:

The theory would also explain why Melisandre is all over him as he is of royal blood.

He's a Stark and comes from the lineage of Kings in the North though, so he has royal blood whether Rhaegar is his father or not. I kinda hope he's not a Targaryen at this point, it seems to make too much sense for that to be the case now. Although I don't think there's any chance Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna, she definitely went willingly.

On the book front I don't think there's a need to read any encyclopedia if you've seen the shows. The books fill in the relevant history and if you lose track of the characters, all the houses in their present form are listed on the back of every book.

There really isn't any 'need' to read TWOIAF, but I'd definitely recommend it, it's tremendous fun. I'm a history buff anyway, but there's lots of cool stuff in it that never come up anywhere in the books or show, such as the 'Five Forts'. It really fleshes out the world at large, lots of good non-Westeros based stuff to dive into.

Re: Episode 5, Tyrion and Jorah

Book and TV spoiler

Have they switched which one of them catches Greyscale? Or am I remembering things incorrectly.

Jon Connington catches greyscale in the book. That whole scene occurs before Tyrion is ever captured by Jorah but seeing as Connington and Young Griff have been left out of the TV series they've given Jorah part of his storyline

• Like 1

Book and TV spoiler

Have they switched which one of them catches Greyscale? Or am I remembering things incorrectly.

Jon Connington catches greyscale in the book. That whole scene occurs before Tyrion is ever captured by Jorah but seeing as Connington and Young Griff have been left out of the TV series they've given Jorah part of his storyline

My prediction after this week's episode:

Jorah is going to die at the end of this season, I think. I think he'll do something crazy when he finds out Dany is going to marry, and he'll be killed by Grey Worm or something because he already knows he's going to die and will throw himself in harm's danger.

If this was a normal TV show I'll be guessing that he gets himself killed by protecting Tyrion somehow after they have bonded, but this is Game of Thrones.

• Like 1

Book and TV spoiler

Yeah, Tyrion never catches it. They're just moving the storyline to a different character.

There really isn't any 'need' to read TWOIAF, but I'd definitely recommend it, it's tremendous fun. I'm a history buff anyway, but there's lots of cool stuff in it that never come up anywhere in the books or show, such as the 'Five Forts'. It really fleshes out the world at large, lots of good non-Westeros based stuff to dive into.

I ended up purchasing it anyway yesterday. I'm big into my history anyway so just learning about other things that aren't related to the TV show and books will keep me interested. Think I'll read that before going into the first book again. Goal is to basically get all the books read before Season 6 which may seem ages away but that's probably how long it'll take for me :P

Book and TV spoiler

Yeah, Tyrion never catches it. They're just moving the storyline to a different character.

I should probably reread the books, my memory of things is all over the place, ha.

As an aside, do they ever mention who stops the spread of Shireen's Greyscale? Surely they'd be a major part of Stannis' camp? Or out making loads of cash in Essos and Valyria?

Definitely felt this was the strongest episode so far of a season that hasn't really grabbed my attention as much as previous (not saying it's bad by any means, just that it hasn't been as good as previously). Jon continues to be by far the most interesting because he's actually involved in the political machinations that make the show so intriguing, but I'm glad to see Daeny finally getting to be entertaining again as well.

Book and TV spoiler

Thrilla

You might be rememebering Tyrion constantly checking for Greyscale by pricking his fingers to see if it hurts.

• Like 1