House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

Point me in the right direction please.

And yeah, I love Jorah.

The World of Ice and Fire is the companion anthology that delved into the history of the series' universe more, and you can probably get it online easily enough. It's around $25 on Amazon at the moment.

Alternatively, if you don't want to buy the full book with all the other details, the ASOIAF Wiki has some more information.

Valyria

The Valyrian Freehold

Dragonlords

Doom of Valyria - Contains a section making references to the books which may conatin spoilers, but it's separated, so you should be able to avoid it easy enough.

Valyrian Steel - Contains some spoilers, but if you've watched everything on the TV Show you should be fine. Also has a list of the Valyrian Steel Swords; references some familiar names, but I doubt some of the characters will make it into the show, so it shouldn't spoil anything major. I can copy and paste a couple of things if you don't want to risk it.

High Valyrian - The language of Valyria. I'd avoid the 'familiar characters' as some potentially important book characters who haven't (and may not) appear in the TV series are on the list. Better safe than sorry.

• Like 2

The whole history of Valyria is one of the more fun parts of AWOIAF. That whole area is so interesting, I spent ages reading about the Freehold and its government. The Doom is one of the more boring parts, specifically because very little is known about it.

This is probably my favorite episode of the season, everything was so engrossing. The only part I hated about this episode was

Barristan dying :( Boo! He's so fucking bad ass and he's suddenly just lying there on a slab of rock.

And Jon Snow going north of the Wall, those were some of the most boring moments of season 2 and 3. Castle Black is infinitely more interesting.

Also, not enough Tyrion this episode.

The whole history of Valyria is one of the more fun parts of AWOIAF. That whole area is so interesting, I spent ages reading about the Freehold and its government. The Doom is one of the more boring parts, specifically because very little is known about it.

This is probably my favorite episode of the season, everything was so engrossing. The only part I hated about this episode was

Barristan dying :( Boo! He's so fucking bad ass and he's suddenly just lying there on a slab of rock.

And Jon Snow going north of the Wall, those were some of the most boring moments of season 2 and 3. Castle Black is infinitely more interesting.

Also, not enough Tyrion this episode.

Every episode.

Add me to the list of folk who like Jorah.

Spoilers for the episode and also speculation of what might be to come (from someone who hasnt read the books).

Another great episode. I love that Game of Thrones can go from being action packed one week, to being more considered and narrative driven the next, yet still maintain such high quality.

Am I the only one who thinks that they're hinting massively at Jon's true origins lately? A few episodes ago, Stannis made a comment along the lines of Ned "not being the type" to cheat on his wife. This week, Eomund says, "A Targaryen alone in the world is a dangerous thing" and the camera pans up to show us Jon arriving.

I've never read the books, so I don't know what they hint at, but is it too much of a stretch to think that Jon Snow is actually Ned's sister's child and son of Rhaegar Targaryen?

• Like 1

Spoilers for the episode and also speculation of what might be to come (from someone who hasnt read the books).

Another great episode. I love that Game of Thrones can go from being action packed one week, to being more considered and narrative driven the next, yet still maintain such high quality.

Am I the only one who thinks that they're hinting massively at Jon's true origins lately? A few episodes ago, Stannis made a comment along the lines of Ned "not being the type" to cheat on his wife. This week, Eomund says, "A Targaryen alone in the world is a dangerous thing" and the camera pans up to show us Jon arriving.

I've never read the books, so I don't know what they hint at, but is it too much of a stretch to think that Jon Snow is actually Ned's sister's child and son of Rhaegar Targaryen?

I also haven't read the books...but apparently that is one of the bigger fan theories.

It's a theory that makes a lot of sense to me, especially with the hints you've mentioned. Not only that, but Ser Barristan, supposedly a man of great honour, has on more than one occasion spoken about what a great man Rhaegar was, something that's at odds with the widely told story that he kidnapped and raped Lyanna Stark.

As someone who loved Lyanna dearly, I could imagine Robert Baratheon encouraging the tale because the alternative possibility is that Lyanna, unwilling to marry Robert after the war, secretly married Rhaegar. Ned, knowing this, would then take Jon back to Winterfell and raise him as his own illegitimate son after realising that Robert would seek to kill anyone linked to the Targaryen family line, something we saw manifest itself when he was determined to have a young Daenerys assassinated.

This is also from someone who hasn't read all the books (I've only read the first two), so I'm speculating just as much as you are. Still, food for thought.

• Like 3

I've got a quick question in regards to the books.

I never read the books, but I picked up the first book for when I went on holiday back in January. I only read a bit of it but struggled because I'd already seen the TV show. I know a lot of people have read the books then watched the TV show but has anyone else watched the TV show then read the books? Just wondering for other peoples experiences. In my head I just automatically assume its easier doing it the other way as in having already read it then watching it.

It's a theory that makes a lot of sense to me, especially with the hints you've mentioned. Not only that, but Ser Barristan, supposedly a man of great honour, has on more than one occasion spoken about what a great man Rhaegar was, something that's at odds with the widely told story that he kidnapped and raped Lyanna Stark.

As someone who loved Lyanna dearly, I could imagine Robert Baratheon encouraging the tale because the alternative possibility is that Lyanna, unwilling to marry Robert after the war, secretly married Rhaegar. Ned, knowing this, would then take Jon back to Winterfell and raise him as his own illegitimate son after realising that Robert would seek to kill anyone linked to the Targaryen family line, something we saw manifest itself when he was determined to have a young Daenerys assassinated.

This is also from someone who hasn't read all the books (I've only read the first two), so I'm speculating just as much as you are. Still, food for thought.

See, I still find this an extremely hard sell any way you cut it.

All the targaryans have silvery white hair and purple eyes in canon. Jon Snow has normal eyes and jet black hair. With seed being strong and all that, you'd expect a Targaryan bastard to have silvery hair and purple eyes, but Jon doesn't, he's often described as looking like a true Stark in features.

See, I still find this an extremely hard sell any way you cut it.

All the targaryans have silvery white hair and purple eyes in canon. Jon Snow has normal eyes and jet black hair. With seed being strong and all that, you'd expect a Targaryan bastard to have silvery hair and purple eyes, but Jon doesn't, he's often described as looking like a true Stark in features.

But didn't they establish that dark hair is dominant over blond hair in the GoT universe, meaning that that's how Ned knew that Joffrey couldn't have Baratheon blood? The Targaryens have always been silver-haired because the family had been in-breeding for centuries, but if a Stark procreated with a Targaryen, there would be a chance that the dominant dark-haired gene would prevail over the recessive silver-haired gene.

Well, according to the theory, he is a true Stark. Evidently Lyanna's genes were dominant over Rhaegar's.

There's more evidence in the books that he is Lyanna's son. She dies on a 'bed of blood', which could be afterbirth. It's also said that Arya looks like a young Lyanna and that Arya and Jon are the most similar looking of the Stark children.

I've got a quick question in regards to the books.

I never read the books, but I picked up the first book for when I went on holiday back in January. I only read a bit of it but struggled because I'd already seen the TV show. I know a lot of people have read the books then watched the TV show but has anyone else watched the TV show then read the books? Just wondering for other peoples experiences. In my head I just automatically assume its easier doing it the other way as in having already read it then watching it.

I did it that way! Read them all after finishing season 4.

I found it easier to grasp the complex world and vast amount of characters having the names and mental picture of the characters already established. Getting through GOT is a bit of a slog due to knowing all the storylines, which is also true for Clash of Kings to an extent. As the books go on the more and more is left out or changed from the series so it gets much more entertaining.

If you're a fan of the universe created by George RR Martin your missing out masisvely by not reading the story as intended by the author, especially given the alarming amount of contetn they've changed, removed and amalgamated in Season 5.

If you don't want to read the books, I'd advise you guys to read A World of Ice and Fire. The whole history of the world, including Westeros, Essos and Valyria is explained in it, and it is fantastic. As far as I remember there aren't any show spoilers as well, it's up till Robert's reign as king. It's also fantastically illustrated.

• Like 1

Well, the books also divulge a lot of what is in AWOIAF, so it might be a bit frustrating to reread descriptions about how certain locations look like, for instance. However, if you're interested in stuff like the lineages and history of houses and stuff, it's probably a lot easier to read that first, as that's in proper sections instead of told in a narrative format. For example, I could never properly differentiate between the Targaryen kings until I read AWOIAF, even though I'd read all the main books and the short story ones as well.

• Like 1