House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

The latest episode...

I knew it wasn't gonna happen but I willing Theon to snap there

:(

Fucking Ramsey man... I hope they save his death for Theon or Jon Snow. And I hope it hits Walking Dead levels of horrific.

On the plus side, Bronn is my hero. And it was nice to see Tyrion and Jorah findong some common ground. How does greyscale work? That slaver touched Jorah's face, does he have it now?

Something needs to happen with Arya soon. She's fast becoming this season's Brann.

I think it's a bit unfair to judge against other seasons when this one has yet to reach it's conclusion.

I'd wager that most people's love for a particular season is punctuated by the "big" penultimate episodes.

Personally, I think this has been one of the best narrative wise. A bit lacking on the action at times perhaps, but I'm feeling a much greater sense of drama and tension than I have in other seasons. Ultimately, it will be disappointing if all of this isn't leading to something big though.

I couldn't disagree more about that Arya point. I'd say her story arch is by far the most intriguing.

Up until this season I'd have agreed, but not feeling it much this season. Having said that, this episode did a fair bit to further things for her, so I'm hopeful for where it's headed.

• Like 1

I don't think they've done themselves any favours with how they're playing this season out. They've muddled about with the Martells, Jaime and Cersei's stories to the point where their motivations don't make any sense. Enough light hasn't really been put on the Martells either.

This season should've been all about the Iron Born, Martells, Arya, Jon and Cersei with Tyrion, Dany and Sansa's stories slowed down. I think HBO were a little bit scared of focusing on unfamiliar characters so we've gotten a bit of an amalgamated plot that is a small bit off.

Still very entertaining though, can't deny that!

Is anyone else feeling slightly underwhelmed with this series? The whole thing has felt too slow.

Not the worst series of TV by any stretch, but so far I would say it's been the weakest season for me.

Not just you, I've felt it too. It's still not Even close to bad, but it's noticeable in comparison to other seasons.
  • Like 1

Show's still good but there is a bit of an air of "fuck, we really thought that there'd be another book at this point." I'm also just like genuinely angry at the villain stuff right now in a way I wasn't with Joffrey and Tywin at the helm.

• Like 3

The whole Margaery thing felt really dumb down. Now Cersei's just being overly evil to the Tyrells for no reason, and it's getting a little silly. Plus if anything we should start hating Tommen just a bit more now, considering how fucking useless he is.

The Sansa stuff was just eurghhhh. Hated it. The worst part of it was that you knew what was going to happen, and they still played that shit out for like 10 minutes.

Bronn / Jaime versus the Sand Snakes might be the worst fight scene of the show. Just so poorly executed, especially considering it involves such monumental characters. The whole way that Bronn and Jaime got into the Water Gardens was fucking ridiculous as well, it was so fucking easy for them to sneak in and just find a royal member of the family. Areo was awesome, though, seriously hope we get him in a duel soon.

The Tyrion / Jorah parts were great, though. That's a fantastic duo, this season's Arya / Hound, almost.

I also am not looking forward to what they showed in the preview, the whole "Jon is going beyond the Wall" thing was already played out, and now it makes no sense why he'd do it again and leave Castle Black in the hands of people he clearly cannot mistrust after the biggest battle they've suffered in years. It's just another excuse to go and play with stuff in the North, when the more intriguing aspects are at the Wall itself.

• Like 1

Now Cersei's just being overly evil to the Tyrells for no reason

I mean, there's a reason but it's incredibly petty and stupid, just like Cersei. My first thought when Tywin died was pretty much "oh this is going to suck for the Tyrells." 50% of why Cersei's plan hasn't imploded yet is probably because they're overestimating her ability to understand/care about why they're needed.

• Like 1

I mean, maybe I'm just misremembering past episodes, but I don't remember much that the Tyrells did that pissed her off. Unless they emphasize the "a new queen, more beautiful and more beloved" aspect, which I guess they kind of did in the season opener, but after that, I only remember the one interaction where Margaery basically made fun of Cersei to her face. It just doesn't feel like much, and is getting muddied and trampled upon, I think, as it doesn't seem to be what the show is focusing on, and seems to be more of Cersei hates the Tyrells for some reason, when it should be more of a personal thing with Margaery.

I also wished they incorporated the part from the book that she basically drinks a fuckton now, and she basically tries to be too smart and make her own deals that are super suspect, because she's trying to prove that she can be a better leader than any man on the throne. It would a whole new layer to her character rather than what she is now, which is basically that she's the bad guy.

I mean, maybe I'm just misremembering past episodes, but I don't remember much that the Tyrells did that pissed her off. Unless they emphasize the "a new queen, more beautiful and more beloved" aspect, which I guess they kind of did in the season opener, but after that, I only remember the one interaction where Margaery basically made fun of Cersei to her face. It just doesn't feel like much, and is getting muddied and trampled upon, I think, as it doesn't seem to be what the show is focusing on, and seems to be more of Cersei hates the Tyrells for some reason, when it should be more of a personal thing with Margaery.

I also wished they incorporated the part from the book that she basically drinks a fuckton now, and she basically tries to be too smart and make her own deals that are super suspect, because she's trying to prove that she can be a better leader than any man on the throne. It would a whole new layer to her character rather than what she is now, which is basically that she's the bad guy.

Really? Because I feel like they have added all those layers you're talking about. Not only is she doing it to spite Margaery, she's acting out of fear based on what a psychic told her as a child and is trying to prove she's just as cunning and manipulative as her father. All while she gets a nice day buzz going on.

I've enjoyed the season so far. It's been light on action but it just seems more cohesive than it has in the past.

• Like 3

Cersei is jealous of Margaery's influence over Tommen and the fact that Cersei is no longer the Queen, having been replaced by a younger, prettier, more popular Queen. Also her default mode to anyone who isn't a Lannister is comtemptible hatred anyway.

• Like 4

Yeah the Cersei storyline is completely stupid. They've almost removed her entire motivation to hate her and brilliant plan to entrap and remove Margaery Tyrell and dumbed it down to "Loras is gay and coincidentally there's a rent boy who knows Margaery knows and his flimsy word is enough to imprision the goddamn Queen".

Forgot to mention Bronn and Jaime too, what a completely stupid sequence that was. No way could they have accessed Myrcella and Trystan like that if Jaime Lannister sans his sword ever did engage the Sand Snakes in battle he'd be torn to shreds in seconds.

I have a bad feeling the show and characters is going to go rapidly downhill now that they're making shit up.

Also future book spoilers for Jon

I assume with the dumbing down of the stories, there's no Val or Alys Karstark, Mance is really dead and they're just making up a new plot with him going beyond the wall with Tormund?

• Like 1

The only thing I like at all about the Cersei storyline is Jonathan Pryce being on the show. Hopefully her scheme backfires and she ends up in deep doo-doo.

But what I'm really damn tired of is Daenerys. I usually DVR the show and watch it the next day, and lately I've been sorely tempted to fast forward when she is onscreen.