House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

Oh wow, Cersei.

On top of the most obvious dumb thing she did this week, there's the second, more delightful potential fuckup; she just sent her main enforcer to Braavos.

Braavos, where precisely one other main cast member is. A main cast member that's wanted to kill him for like three and a half seasons. Watch out for A Girl, Meryn Trant.

I hadn't thought about that. Now you've got my hopes up.

As for Cersei, I'm with many others in thinking that this could well be her downfall. Enlisting the help of a violent religious cult to remove homosexual "sinners" when you're in an incestuous relationship with your brother is a classic case of not thinking things through.

Also, Jonathan Pryce's High Sparrow is great. He delivers his lines in such a gentle, measured tone, which surely belies his presumably ruthless methods of command.

• Like 1

Oh wow, Cersei.

On top of the most obvious dumb thing she did this week, there's the second, more delightful potential fuckup; she just sent her main enforcer to Braavos.

Braavos, where precisely one other main cast member is. A main cast member that's wanted to kill him for like three and a half seasons. Watch out for A Girl, Meryn Trant.

As for Cersei, I'm with many others in thinking that this could well be her downfall. Enlisting the help of a violent religious cult to remove homosexual "sinners" when you're in an incestuous relationship with your brother is a classic case of not thinking things through.

Also, Jonathan Pryce's High Sparrow is great. He delivers his lines in such a gentle, measured tone, which surely belies his presumably ruthless methods of command.

Is Meryn one of those on Arya's list? If so, could someone remind me for why?

Oh wow, Cersei.

He killed Syrio.

Oh wow, Cersei.

He killed Syrio.

Oh wow, Cersei.

He killed Syrio.

So he did, thank you.

On that point, we never actually saw Syrio dead did we?

Oh wow, Cersei.

He killed Syrio.

So he did, thank you.

On that point, we never actually saw Syrio dead did we?

Nope

Who else is there now to protect Cersai? Tywin, who was the main reason people respected and feared the house Lannister and who managed to win a war without winning a battle, is dead. Cersei's uncle who is now in charge of Casterly Rock hates her. Jamie and Bronn are in Dorne. Her loyal enforcer was sent away to the iron islands. By arming the Sparrows and giving them free reign to imprison and do god knows what to whomever they see fit which lead to Margaery's brothers arrest she managed to piss of the last remaining ally. Her son, the king, is totally whipped by Margaery. Most of the common folk hate her. The Greyjoy's have taken over the north and are plotting with Little Finger to overthrow her. Stannis The Mannis has managed to raise an army with the single purpose to overthrow her and is backed by the iron bank who withdrew their support of the Lannister rule. Then there are Oberyn's lover and their daughters who want her dead. Also there is a much more immediate threat in the form of the aforementioned Sparrows who are going to turn on her as soon as they find out (if they don't know already) about her incestual relationship with her brother and King Tommen's and Joffrey's true origin. The only ones I can think of who are loyal to her are her Maester and whatever Gregor Clegane has become. I'd be disappointed if she doesn't kick the bucket this season.

• Like 1

Who else is there now to protect Cersai? Tywin, who was the main reason people respected and feared the house Lannister and who managed to win a war without winning a battle, is dead. Cersei's uncle who is now in charge of Casterly Rock hates her. Jamie and Bronn are in Dorne. Her loyal enforcer was sent away to the iron islands. By arming the Sparrows and giving them free reign to imprison and do god knows what to whomever they see fit which lead to Margaery's brothers arrest she managed to piss of the last remaining ally. Her son, the king, is totally whipped by Margaery. Most of the common folk hate her. The Greyjoy's have taken over the north and are plotting with Little Finger to overthrow her. Stannis The Mannis has managed to raise an army with the single purpose to overthrow her and is backed by the iron bank who withdrew their support of the Lannister rule. Then there are Oberyn's lover and their daughters who want her dead. Also there is a much more immediate threat in the form of the aforementioned Sparrows who are going to turn on her as soon as they find out (if they don't know already) about her incestual relationship with her brother and King Tommen's and Joffrey's true origin. The only ones I can think of who are loyal to her are her Maester and whatever Gregor Clegane has become. I'd be disappointed if she doesn't kick the bucket this season.

Think you're confusing the Greyjoys with the Boltons. You're right, though, but she thinks she has the Sparrows on her side.

• Like 1

I find it interesting to look at the long-term effects of overthrowing the tyrannical reign of Aerys II. Robert Baratheon, despite bringing some form of stability and peace for a while, was a loutish drunkard who wildly overspent and did nothing to bring up his children. Then there was Joffrey, a cruel, impulsive little tosser, followed by Tommen, a kind-hearted young man without any authoritative presence whatsoever. All of them were backed up by a ruthless woman who isn't quite as clever as she believes she is.

I suppose those are the pitfalls of hereditary rule, but when you've got a line of complete misfits who are all incompetent leaders in drastically different ways, stability falls by the wayside and chaos ensues. And, as Littlefinger put it, chaos is a ladder, and that's become the underlying theme of this show.

I find it interesting to look at the long-term effects of overthrowing the tyrannical reign of Aerys II. Robert Baratheon, despite bringing some form of stability and peace for a while, was a loutish drunkard who wildly overspent and did nothing to bring up his children. Then there was Joffrey, a cruel, impulsive little tosser, followed by Tommen, a kind-hearted young man without any authoritative presence whatsoever. All of them were backed up by a ruthless woman who isn't quite as clever as she believes she is.

I suppose those are the pitfalls of hereditary rule, but when you've got a line of complete misfits who are all incompetent leaders in drastically different ways, stability falls by the wayside and chaos ensues. And, as Littlefinger put it, chaos is a ladder, and that's become the underlying theme of this show.

I don't think any of that needs to be spoilered :P

It's crazy to think that they didn't even have a good ruler before the Mad King. Jaehaerys II ended up marrying his sister even though his dad was against incestual marriage, and ended up pissing off some of the biggest houses in the land (the Tyrells and the Baratheons). He then made Aerys and Rhaella marry each other even though they didn't want to, which is probably a big cause of why they ended up hating each other and made Aerys such an asshole. Jaehaerys' father himself was the guy who was trying to bring dragons back into Westeros, and he messing with them ended up with him dying and his son taking over before he was ready. That's like 3 generations of Targaryens being morons, followed by 3 Bartheons / Lannisters being morons. It's a miracle King's Landing hasn't fallen apart yet.

I finally got around to watching this episode!

The Faith Militant are fucking scary. I hope nothing bad happens to Loras, I've always liked him. I probably just killed him though. >_>

Ser Barristan. :(

I don't think any of that needs to be spoilered :P

It's crazy to think that they didn't even have a good ruler before the Mad King. Jaehaerys II ended up marrying his sister even though his dad was against incestual marriage, and ended up pissing off some of the biggest houses in the land (the Tyrells and the Baratheons). He then made Aerys and Rhaella marry each other even though they didn't want to, which is probably a big cause of why they ended up hating each other and made Aerys such an asshole. Jaehaerys' father himself was the guy who was trying to bring dragons back into Westeros, and he messing with them ended up with him dying and his son taking over before he was ready. That's like 3 generations of Targaryens being morons, followed by 3 Bartheons / Lannisters being morons. It's a miracle King's Landing hasn't fallen apart yet.

For anything else you want to say about them, Tywin, Varys, and Littlefinger are the reasons that the realm didn't fall completely apart. Each for their own reasons, but they held it together while the Targs went mad and Robert drank and whored.

It seems as though Houses Tyrell and Greyjoy have had some degree of success by bucking the trend and letting the women have some degree of responsibility. Granted, it was presumably a last resort for Balon Greyjoy, who, by all accounts, is a complete moron, but letting Yara command his ships was one of his few good decisions. As for the Tyrells, without the likes of Olenna and Margaery around, they'd have been kicked to the curb long ago.