General Movie Thread

Jimmy

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, JMarushin said:

The more in depth you think about the movie Cars the more screwed up and weird it feels

Weren't the first two the worst of all the Pixar movies? I remember not hating the third one, though. 

I think they're unfairly slated to be honest. They aren't up there with high concept Pixar films like Inside Out or Coco, but as actual kids films they're perfectly fine. My son was obsessed with them at 3 so I've seen them all multiple times and don't hate them which is impressive.

14 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Weren't the first two the worst of all the Pixar movies? I remember not hating the third one, though. 

12 hours ago, Colly said:

I think they're unfairly slated to be honest. They aren't up there with high concept Pixar films like Inside Out or Coco, but as actual kids films they're perfectly fine. My son was obsessed with them at 3 so I've seen them all multiple times and don't hate them which is impressive.

Oh yes, they are fine movies. My daughter (2) has watched them a ton of times by now.

This is going to sound like I am high (I'm not though) but the disturbing part is if you start to think about the details of them. Like the anatomy of the cars - they've got tongues, what do they use them for? Where's the brain located and what is it? Do cars die of old age or health reasons beyond being demolished - I know Doc Hudson died because the actor playing him died (or something like that) but why did the character die and what from? In reality, you could keep a car running for eternity with the right parts and mechanics. Are there baby cars or how do they reproduce? Why do they reproduce? Do newer cars get built, are there personalities programmed, do they have souls?

Also, they do like NASCAR style races but if you think about it, in their world thats basically like the equivalent of track and field or cross country, which are really not popular to that level in our world. 

51 minutes ago, JMarushin said:

Oh yes, they are fine movies. My daughter (2) has watched them a ton of times by now.

This is going to sound like I am high (I'm not though) but the disturbing part is if you start to think about the details of them. Like the anatomy of the cars - they've got tongues, what do they use them for? Where's the brain located and what is it? Do cars die of old age or health reasons beyond being demolished - I know Doc Hudson died because the actor playing him died (or something like that) but why did the character die and what from? In reality, you could keep a car running for eternity with the right parts and mechanics. Are there baby cars or how do they reproduce? Why do they reproduce? Do newer cars get built, are there personalities programmed, do they have souls?

Also, they do like NASCAR style races but if you think about it, in their world thats basically like the equivalent of track and field or cross country, which are really not popular to that level in our world. 

I mean, it’s a cartoon, mate 😂

If you watch "Robots" most of those questions can be answered if you appllied that movie universe to cars. Also the Nascar style races are big because is what any car can do,but only a few are great at it, just like most sport in the real world, just because is the equivalent of an unpopular sport in our world, doesn't mean it has to be the same in fantasy universes, heck even in the same world they are different popular sports in each country and regions, In the USA you can see an stadium packed with 100 thousands fans for football, but here a regular football game is just the family of the players in the stands(if there any stands at all).

I watched Us last night. I have so many thoughts about this movie. Jordan Peele is an exceptional director. Sign me up for whatever he releases next.

Us as a movie was so fascinating. I was fascinated by how they handled privilege and the idea of American myth making. 5/5 film for me. 

• Like 4

Watched Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga tonight on Netflix.  Its not a great movie by any stretch, basically your standard Will Ferrell "Dumb Guy Comedy" but the songs in it are FANTASTIC.  They really put work into the musical numbers

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/07/2020 at 03:38, Jericode said:

Bad Times At The El Royale disappointed me as a film but had some great acting in it. Jeff Bridges, Jon Hamm, and Chris Hemsworth are all brilliant as their respective characters.

I love Cynthia Erivo's performance as well. Her speech to Hemsworth basically telling him to just shut the fuck up already is one of my favorite monologues aimed at a villain in a good while. A lot of good stuff in that movie that never actually coalesces into a good movie in and of itself.

• Like 2

Oh yeah, that was excellent as well. Great acting, great setting, but I've already forgotten what the point was and I only watched it on the weekend.

BlacKkKlansman on the other hand was brilliant, really powerful watch. Super unsettling at times.

Searching was an interesting one, whole film told through a computer screen about a father's search for his missing daughter. John Cho totally carries it and really gets all the emotion across well.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Baddar said:

Courteney Cox has signed on for Scream 5 next year. 👏

Not sure what the general consensus is with the scream films, but I loved them, well apart from when no.4's ending was ruined when i worked at cineworld and some guy came out blabbing what the ending was on premiere night :(