General Movie Thread

Jimmy

Since I'm bored at work because I hate Mondays, here's who I want to win with maybe who I think will win in brackets or something:

Best Picture: Little Women (1917)
Best Director: Bong Joon-ho (Quentin Tarantino)
Best Actress: Saoirse Ronan (Renee Zellweger)
Best Actor: Adam Driver (Joaquin Phoenix)
Best Supporting Actress: Florence Pugh (Laura Dern)

Also Pitt just won but I'm actually fine with that, though I would have loved it if Tom Hanks won. 

Parasite winning everything it did was great, I haven't seen it but I've heard a lot of good and I genuinely am surprised it did THAT well tonight, but by all accounts it's well deserved. 

Very pleased with the Joaquin Phoenix win; he's never been one of my favorite actors, but I thought he was stellar in Joker (i really loved the movie as a whole and thought it should have absolutely won Best Cinematography to be honest, though I'm thrilled it won the Best Score because that was one of the most memorable scores in recent history). Renee Zellweger winning felt like a big comback thank you welcome home win. I would have rather seen Scarlett Johansson take the win or Cynthis Erivo. I'm fine with Pitt winning, and Laura Dern as well, though I was pulling for Florence Pugh. 

Elton John scoring the win was surprising, but also felt like another "thanks for being you" award. Genuinely, the songs nominated were all fairly lackluster overall, except for Stand Up from Harriet. That was a jawdropping performance and a really great song and they missed the mark not awarding it tonight. 

A little surprised at Production Design being awarded to Once Upon A Time in Hollywood (thought certainly not a bad thing), as I thought Jojo Rabbit might have snagged that one. Its a weird category, and maybe because this field is what I do for a living, but I'm surprised to see the Production Designer and Decorator nominated for this and Art Director not being involved. Seems strange to me... I will say though, boo on the Production Designer thanking "you know, the team", but props to the Decorator for naming them even quickly, and for giving a shout out to the Props Master by full name, as they/we are largely forgotten by the Academy as a whole (as well as most award shows). 

Costume Design was going to nobody outside of Little Women, the scale of the work they did is enormous and it looks really great; I've done period stuff like this and it's not easy to do (though I'd argue a period piece set in the 70s has it's own immense challenges and I have a lot of respect for the teams of Joker and Once Upon A Time in Hollywood), though it's another category I could have seen Jojo Rabbit take. And the hair and makeup for Bombshell was a lock, surely. Nobody came close. 

I'm okay with the Oscars giving time to Best Song winners who never performed the song at the actual Oscars but only as long as it's Man or Muppet's turn next year.

• Like 4

As cathartic as it is to drag the dude who had that Parasite take, and the fact that he tweeted that after Best Original Screenplay meaning he probably got a billion tweets dragging him during every subsequent Oscar win it got is pretty funny, keep in mind that stuff like this is often not a sincere opinion but rather a grift to get attention and work your way up the right-wing media ladder.

• Like 4

It might have one or two near the end. It's really not a horror movie, though it does probably count as a thriller. To me, "dark comedy" is probably the correct label.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, JMarushin said:

Joan Cusack as Jessie in the Toy Story Franchise is one of the worst, shittiest casting decisions of all time

That's certainly a hot take. I think it's something not everybody has liked, maybe, but I fucking loved her voice as it. Joan Cusack has a certain vulnerability in her voice that makes you want to root for her, IMO. It's why her character was one of my favorites on Shameless before it got too weird. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Benjamin said:

That's certainly a hot take. I think it's something not everybody has liked, maybe, but I fucking loved her voice as it. Joan Cusack has a certain vulnerability in her voice that makes you want to root for her, IMO. It's why her character was one of my favorites on Shameless before it got too weird. 

My daughter's fallen in love with Toy Story so we've watched the first 3 literally almost 50 times each, if not more, the past 2 months or so (along with A Bug's Life) and I can say that Jessie is the most grating character in the entire franchise.

Her voice does not match Jessie at all - all of the other characters I can feel the immersion in but she definitely breaks a viewer out of it (at least for me). She literally comes off as insane - which I can understand to an extent in Toy Story 2 given the context of her background, but even in that movie it is way overdone.

• Like 1

That reminds me that my cousin and his son have been watching Toy Story, but they don't watch Toy Story 3 because the little guy's terrified of Lotso Huggin bear. Can't blame him.

• Like 1