General Movie Thread

Jimmy

1 hour ago, Benjamin said:

I really need to see Jojo Rabbit, 1917 and Knives Out.

Is Ford v Ferrari good? It looks incredibly boring. 

I loved it, but then again it could've just been 2 hours of footage of the GT40 and I'd still love it, because that is a damn beautiful car

But seriously, yes, it was a really good movie if you have an interest in that sort of thing.  Damon and Bale have great chemistry together.  There are some light comedy moments that actually work well with the plot of the movie and the car testing/racing scenes were beautifully shot.  There was a small plot point that didn't make sense to me, but it might've been something I missed the first viewing and would make more sense if I watch it again

• Thanks 1

I wish I loved JoJo, but I felt a little underwhelmed, I'm disappointed Scarlett is nominated for Best Supporting Actress over Shuzhen Zhao. In general, the shut out of The Farewell is majorly disappointing. 

Little Women is fantastic and if it was directed by an esteemed male director then their name would already be in the process of being etched on the trophy.

Some wonderful films and performances got recognised, but it was another awful year for nominations and another example of the film industry's inability to close the chasm between those (old white men) at the top of the industry and the rest. 

As I've gotten older, I've become less and less invested in award shows (although lol gimme an oscar one day pls). Hopefully one day we can level the playing field but it's so far off.

7 hours ago, Benjamin said:

I really need to see Jojo Rabbit, 1917 and Knives Out.

Is Ford v Ferrari good? It looks incredibly boring. 

It’s really boring. I couldn’t make it through it. 

I do think ultimately this was a particularly great year for movies (as opposed to say the last two years) and not that I really care about the Oaxaca anymore, but yeah some of those acting nominations are pretty garbage. Like, some people are blatantly there just to have a big name (Zellweger, Hopkins, Theron) and there’s definitely some stuff being overlooked. Personally speaking the biggest injustice in all this was The Last Black Man in San Francisco being completely and utterly ignored by literally every award show. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MDK said:

I dunno how The Irishman got nominated for best film. It was okay but nothing out of this world.

Big win for Netflix though. 

I think when Roma got nominated it spoke to at least the fact that they were finally realising that your movie doesn’t have to be released in a theatre to be considered “cinema”.

37 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

I think when Roma got nominated it spoke to at least the fact that they were finally realising that your movie doesn’t have to be released in a theatre to be considered “cinema”.

It got a limited release which is good enough for me.

1 hour ago, MDK said:

It got a limited release which is good enough for me.

It was over 40 minutes long and not part of a series so I considered it a film :shifty:

22 minutes ago, Josh Mulaney said:

Roma got a two week run in 70 mm at one of our local independent cinemas and I super regret not seeing that.

Have you not seen it yet?

I enjoyed the Irishman (though it took me two sittings to get through) but I don't know if I enjoyed it enough to consider it to be best picture, tbh. I wouldn't have nominated Pacino for best supporting either - he's by no means bad in the movie and he definitely wasn't at his scene chewing worst by any means, but I think his performance was the weaker out of the 3 principal actors. On the other hand I am really happy Joe Pesci got nominated, too. Joe Pesci in my mind is Tommy DeVito from Goodfellas, a little psycho, and his turn in the Irishman made me see past that as he put in a really calm performance as an older, more respected mafioso. For him to do it after not acting for almost a decade was impressive, too.

I liked JoJo Rabbit. I think the marketing campaign was brilliant as it made the film out to just be a zany imaginary friend is Hitler film, but it 100% is not that at all. Emily absolutely loved it.

1917 looks like one of those films you have to see in the cinema.

I didn't see Dunkirk, so this might not be what you're asking, but 1917 isn't about battles and gunfights, although there are gunfights. It's intimate and personal and beautiful and tense, and I just think it would benefit from being seen on the big screen