General Movie Thread

Jimmy

I would assume Wick will be moved. I doubt Lionsgate wants to lose money to... Keanu Reeves. Unless the studios decide to work something out and make it some big Keanu event. 

Edited by livid

Went and saw Jumanji: The Next Level today.  Not as good as the...first?  maybe 2nd?...if you count Zathura then third?  Whatever.  Not as good as Welcome To The Jungle, which was to be expected, but still a really good movie.  One issue though, in the trailers they talk about how the game is glitching out.  Thats not addressed in the movie at all.  I don't even think they mentioned the game being glitched.  

Halloween H20: Someone in the writing room became very enamored with the idea of Micheal Myers being so single minded that the car he arrives in has all four tires blown out. He drove from Illinois to California. That means The damned Boogyman had to stop for gas. How does Micheal Myers get gas? Does he kill people and siphon it? Does he bum rush people and take their fillup at the pump? They don't tell us that there's a trail of bodies between the two states so the best I can figure is the owner of the car had a credit card he's using. But how does mute Micheal Myers order gas at a station that doesn't have the swipe outside?

Wouldn't it have been better for him to hop car everytime one runs out, killing the owners, leaving a body trail? This way Laurie could hear about it on the news and dig in when everyone is like "It's been 20 years, he's not coming for you". Everyone else could be like "Not every murder hobo is Micheal Myers, it's been 20 years, it's not him." at that point acting like Laurie's losing it. She would be vindicated for preping when Myers shows up and starts dropping her kid's friends.

Yea, there is a reason why every few movies, its basically a reboot of the series.  The Halloween movies make no sense

H20 has it's flaws but I feel like if they had stopped to make Halloween movies after that it would have been a decent send off for Michael and Laurie. Of course since the movie was successful they couldn't simply leave it at that and had to make another one with what has to be one of the most ridiculous retcons in movie history.

And can you believe that this franchise has spawned 5 different timelines?

1. The H20 timeline (1, 2, H20, Resurrection)

2. The Thorn timeline (1, 2, 4, 5 and Curse Of Michael Myers)

3. The Halloween 2018 timeline (1, Helloween 2018)

4. The Hallwoeen 3 timeline 

5. The Rob Zombie timeline

The reviews for Cats are coming out!  How is it?

Boston Globe

My eyes are burning. Oh God, my eyes.

Collider

Can you make a movie so bad that the Academy takes back your Best Director Oscar? Asking for Tom Hooper.

The Beat

Cats is the worst thing to happen to cats since dogs.

Hollywood Reporter

Cat-astrophic.

LA Times

"Cats” is both a horror and an endurance test.

Slashfilm

There is a thin line between idiocy and genius, and Cats pukes a hairball on it and rubs its ass all over it.

Variety

Nine may not be enough lives for some of the stars to live down their involvement in this poorly conceived and executed adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s hit musical.

Little White Lies

I felt the light inside me slowly fading.

The Playlist

Once Tom Hooper's 110 minutes of Cats are over, theater is dead. And we unchosen ones are left, tragically, to continue living.

New York Times

It's amazing to see what Adult Swim can accomplish with a $100 million budget. I never knew Tom Hooper was capable of making a surrealist nightmare that would rival Jodorowsky, that could baffle David Lynch, that would prompt even the dark god Cthulhu to emit an impressed eldritch shriek of “nehehehehehe”

Vulture

To assess Cats as good or bad feels like the entirely wrong axis on which to see it. It is, with all affection, a monstrosity.

The Daily Telegraph

Glad to report that Cats is everything you’d hoped for and more: a mesmerisingly ugly fiasco that makes you feel like your brain is being eaten by a parasite. A viewing experience so stressful that it honestly brought on a migraine.

Den of Geek

One of the weirdest and most garish monstrosities to be birthed out of the Hollywood studio system in this century.

Vanity Fair

It’s an ugly stray who smells bad and should not be invited into your home, certainly. And yet it is its own kind of living creature, worthy of at least some basic compassion.

The Guardian

A purr-fectly dreadful hairball of woe. 1/5.

Indiewire

Tom Hooper’s feline musical is an absurd and exuberant mess. This visually dense adaptation of the Andrew Lloyd Webber hit is at once too crazy for this world, and not quite crazy enough.

Newsday

Fans of the stage musical may swoon, but others will be severely allergic.

The Wrap

Andrew Lloyd Webber’s feline fantasy musical becomes a garish hairball. It’s hard to “ruin” Webber’s already strange musical, but Tom Hooper’s wrongheaded attempt certainly tries. Tom Hooper’s jarring fever dream of a spectacle is like something that escaped from Dr. Moreau’s creature laboratory instead of a poet’s and a composer’s feline (uni)verse, an un-catty valley hybrid of physical and digital that unsettles and crashes way more often than it enchants.

Bleeding Cool

Cats is a strange beast to begin with, but the combination of strange CGI makes the translation from stage to screen even worse.

Slant

This adaptation gets straight to the heart of the material, which is basically two hours of stray cats introducing themselves.

Rendy Reviews

On a scale of one to Zemeckis, Hooper's Cats boldly goes beyond the uncanny valley and creates a tier of its own.

Screen Junkies

A spectacular disaster...This movie feels like a prank but I don't know on whom.

The Jam Report

The most inexplicably bizarre film of the year, it's jawdropping for all the wrong reasons.

RTE Ireland

First off, full disclosure - I am not a cat person. Second off - after watching this frankly mortifying film adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cats, I'm not altogether sure I am a movie person anymore either.

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Gazz said:

The reviews are so universally scathing, that it sort of makes me want to go and see it.

No joke on nothing, Taylor Swift cat has awoken feelings in me I haven't felt since Cheetara.

1 hour ago, Colly said:

No joke on nothing, Taylor Swift cat has awoken feelings in me I haven't felt since Cheetara.

giphy.gif

• Like 2