General Movie Thread

Jimmy

I watched Vox Lux last night and it was a very odd movie. I don't love it or hate it, it's just... a movie I'll probably never think about again. Which is disappointing, because Natalie Portman is usually awesome.

Probably going to watch Lowlife later - anyone seen that?

Is The Mask not as well remembered as I thought?  I was thinking about it today and I realized anytime you see a Jim Carey movie on TV, its either Ace Ventura, Dumb And Dumber, The Cable Guy or Me, Myself and Irene (maybe sub in Liar Liar in place of Me, Myself and Irene).  The Mask is always left out, and that was the one that really helped lift Jim Carey into a bankable star for the time

On 14/08/2019 at 20:07, tristy said:

I watched Vox Lux last night and it was a very odd movie. I don't love it or hate it, it's just... a movie I'll probably never think about again. Which is disappointing, because Natalie Portman is usually awesome.

Probably going to watch Lowlife later - anyone seen that?

Oh no way, Vox Lux totally stayed with me. There's a few things that didn't land, but it was such a bold vision and made such distinct choices, it really worked for me. 

17 hours ago, Lint said:

Is The Mask not as well remembered as I thought?  I was thinking about it today and I realized anytime you see a Jim Carey movie on TV, its either Ace Ventura, Dumb And Dumber, The Cable Guy or Me, Myself and Irene (maybe sub in Liar Liar in place of Me, Myself and Irene).  The Mask is always left out, and that was the one that really helped lift Jim Carey into a bankable star for the time

Personally, i'm not a fan of Dumb and Dumber at all. The Mask is okay, but other than the "SMOKIN'!" line, the Cuban Pete bit, and Cameron Diaz being in it, its not that memorable for me. 

Also, if you want to see Jim Carrey in a really good, non-comedic role, go watch The Majestic. I highly recommend it.

Comparing scenes between the two Lion King movies. I find it funny the fight between Scar and Simba looks more like an actual cat fight in the cartoon with the embellishment being Scar 's big jump.

1 hour ago, LittleDaniel said:

i was skeptical of a between two ferns movie, but I'm definitely gonna check that out!

"Have you ever seen a chicken strip?" "I've never seen a chicken wear clothes." got a good laugh out of me. I didn't even know they were doing a Between Two Ferns movie. 

EDIT: Also, JoJo Rabbit looks... cute. 

... weird.

Yeeeeah Lauren Lapkus being involved (the person who delivered that line) is one of the reasons I'm excited, I dunno if I could watch a movie centered solely around Galifinakus.  I like him, I like his standup, but I dunno if I could do a whole movie of mostly him.

I've been a Lauren Lapkus fan since here bit in the characters where she played a stripper who came out to the stage with 'Brick' by Ben Folds Five. I don't think I've had a quicker turn from realization to on the floor laughing quicker. Since then I've listened to her podcasts and stuff, great stuff.

So I've seen It and It Chapter Two in a double feature since I didn't catch the first one in cinemas when it was originally released. Part 1 was amazing. Part 2 was very meh and waaaay too long at about 170 minutes. 

Spoiler

I feel like they could have cut out most of the flashbacks to 1989 when the looser's club was separated without loosing anything of importance. 

Disney are remaking Home Alone for their upcoming streaming service. :mellow:

15 minutes ago, Arjen Robben said:

Joker won the top prize at the Venice Film Festival which... feels kinda surreal.

I’ve been having an ongoing argument with a friend about this movie. Mainly I’ve been trying to explain how this isn’t a “superhero” movie as he’s fed up with superhero’s taking over Hollywood.

This is clearly not anything like prior superhero movies, even Batman franchises. It’s a character  piece, with the only real connection to the superhero world being that the character is that of the Joker. Or, how he becomes the Joker.

Still, I agree, I’m surprised. Really looking forward to seeing it.