General Movie Thread

Jimmy

It's in the trailer. I don't think we need to put Han's return in spoiler tags. If they want us to be surprised bit it they shouldn't have put it in there.

Edit: Nevermind. Totally forgot that Mia was Dom's sister. Makes totally sense to bring her back since this is about family. 

Edited by Hellraiser

‘The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent’, Starring Nic Cage as Nic Cage, Gets Release Date  and oh my god this sounds like the most Nic Cage movie ever

It's been distributed on Netflix over here, I assume it's been and gone at the cinema in the US?

Actually, here you go:

While everyone was freaking out about Uncut Gems hitting Netflix everywhere except for the U.S., it turns out the Safdie Brothers had something special planned for U.S. audiences: Uncut Gems will return to theaters this weekend with a new post-credits Q&A segment featuring the directors and star Adam Sandler.

Uncut Gems centers around a neurotic, gambling-addicted NYC Diamond District denizen, played by Sandler, whose series of high-stakes bets leaves him in a situation fueled by anxiety and one leap of faith after another.

The post-viewing Q&A segment features (and is directed by) the Safdie Brothers, with appearances from Sandler and other Hollywood guests. The Q&A takes place in a Los Angeles diner and, according to the trailer, Sandler doesn’t even know the conversation is being filmed.

• Like 1

It's worth seeing in the theater because it means you have no choice but to see it without pausing to catch a breath or walk away from this absolute fucking maniac for a while. I know that can sound like a bad thing and depending on your tolerance for movies that are deliberately trying to make you uncomfortable, it probably is, but for me I definitely benefited from having no choice but to keep watching.

re: awards, it sucks. Sandler should be up for Best Actor, but the Oscars do have a long history of denying great dramatic performances by comedy stars. I bet he wins at the Independent Spirit awards as a consolation. Also, good lord the Oscars are on Sunday, why are the Oscars on Sunday.

5 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

It's worth seeing in the theater because it means you have no choice but to see it without pausing to catch a breath or walk away from this absolute fucking maniac for a while. I know that can sound like a bad thing and depending on your tolerance for movies that are deliberately trying to make you uncomfortable, it probably is, but for me I definitely benefited from having no choice but to keep watching.

re: awards, it sucks. Sandler should be up for Best Actor, but the Oscars do have a long history of denying great dramatic performances by comedy stars. I bet he wins at the Independent Spirit awards as a consolation. Also, good lord the Oscars are on Sunday, why are the Oscars on Sunday.

This might be true. I watched Uncut Gems at home. I didn't really like it and turned it off at about the hour mark. Maybe if I was in a theatre setting and forced to keep going, I would have got past it and enjoyed the movie. Or maybe I was just in the wrong mood for it. Not really sure why I was put off by it. 

It's just a stressful movie to watch for most people. I didn't feel it until the last twenty minutes, when I super, super felt it. I think it's ultimately really good but it's extremely Not For Everyone and that's probably a bit part of why the Oscars blanked it even though they shouldn't have.