General Movie Thread

Jimmy

3 hours ago, Pooker said:

Does anybody remember a movie called Rock-a-Doodle? Released in 1992, part live action, part animation. 

ROCK-A-DOOOOHOOOOOOOOODLEDOOOO!

• 2 weeks later...

Just to go on a rant for a bit, but am I the only one who has real issues with the volume levels of pretty much any recent film?

I'm watching Capt America Winter Soldier at the moment and I have to have the remote constantly in one hand to turn the TV down whenever there's the slightest bit of an action scene to avoid being deafened, and then back up again whenever anyone is speaking or I can't hear what they're saying. That's just one example though, it's been every film I've watched recently on any platform.

Are subtitles really the only way to get out of this never-ending back-and-forth?

It seems a major issue on Disney+ from what I've seen so far. Fine on cartoons, but I watched the first Iron Man the other day and had to turn my tv to about 3 times the highest volume it's ever been at before, only to be half deafened by any time the music came in.

I have this problem with pretty much everything we watch these days, whether TV, film, new, or old. It’s gotta be something to do with sound mixing and modern TVs. It’s a pain though.

• Like 1

Onward was fine as a movie, but that ending was incredible. A huge risk for a Pixar movie. Anyone who has lost someone early in their lives would definitely be hit hard. 

• Like 3

American Psycho at 20: Mary Harron: "Patrick Bateman never really left us"

It's a pretty good interview with Mary Harron, who directed and co-wrote American Psycho. Mental to think that film is on the verge of turning 20.

it’s part of his mask. It’s a part of the fact that he doesn’t have a core set of beliefs, really. He has impulses or desires, but he doesn’t have an ideology of what he wants. So he’s happy to adopt whatever as camouflage.

Sounds familiar...

• Like 1

On 13/04/2020 at 10:35, Colly said:

Christ. I can't handle the end of Coco without crying, I've got no chance.

I haven't seen Coco, but I managed the ending of Onward just fine. And trust me, I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to emotional stuff on TV. 

On 12/04/2020 at 17:35, RPS said:

Onward was fine as a movie, but that ending was incredible. A huge risk for a Pixar movie. Anyone who has lost someone early in their lives would definitely be hit hard. 

I lost my dad at 18 and I was definitely getting hit in the feels during the ending. Honestly think I would have a hard time watching Onward again because of it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pooker said:

I lost my dad at 18 and I was definitely getting hit in the feels during the ending. Honestly think I would have a hard time watching Onward again because of it.

I just loved what it said about selflessness and grief. It was the perfect ending to the movie. 

• Like 1

James Gunn tweeted out a list of 54 "A+ Action Movies" to watch in quarantine.  AVClub published the list, as well as where you can rent/buy the movies online

https://film.avclub.com/james-gunn-recommends-54-a-action-movies-to-watch-in-1842965694

I've never had a favorite director until I started to follow James Gunn on Instagram. He does a lot of Q and A's and gives some awesome insights into what it's like to be a director.