General Movie Thread

Jimmy

On 18/04/2020 at 10:26, Pooker said:

I lost my dad at 18 and I was definitely getting hit in the feels during the ending. Honestly think I would have a hard time watching Onward again because of it.

Yeah, I lost mine when I was 9 and the ending definitely got me pretty good too.

6 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Ooh, I kinda’ want to rewatch the Edge of Tomorrow now. 

Should I also fuck my brain up and watch Lady Vengeance? :unsure:

Watched that for the first time a few weeks ago and was really surprised at how good it was!  Wasn't it kind of a flop in theaters though?  I think it would've done better had they used the name they later used, Live, Die, Repeat

I don't know if the name would have changed things either way, I feel like I remember the ad campaign just wasn't that great and didn't really capture how fun the movie is.

15 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I don't know if the name would have changed things either way, I feel like I remember the ad campaign just wasn't that great and didn't really capture how fun the movie is.

It really was a fun movie but I think Live, Die, Repeat better explains the premise of the movie then Edge of Tomorrow does

It does, but for me it's literal in a kind of clumsy way. Good tag line, not a great movie name. It is what it is now, though, it became a big hit on DVD/VOD/streaming with that name.

Like, I think the real problem was the fact that it was as good as it was basically came as a surprise to everyone who didn't make it. There was no advance buzz for it at all from what I recall until the reviews/word of mouth started popping up like "hey, this one's actually good, check it out." That's basically at the point where Tom Cruise's name can't really carry movies on its own anymore too, it came a year after Oblivion and I think the general feeling was "oh, it's another one-off Tom Cruise big budget sci-fi movie that isn't anything more than okay."

3 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

It does, but for me it's literal in a kind of clumsy way. Good tag line, not a great movie name. It is what it is now, though, it became a big hit on DVD/VOD/streaming with that name.

Like, I think the real problem was the fact that it was as good as it was basically came as a surprise to everyone who didn't make it. There was no advance buzz for it at all from what I recall until the reviews/word of mouth started popping up like "hey, this one's actually good, check it out." That's basically at the point where Tom Cruise's name can't really carry movies on its own anymore too, it came a year after Oblivion and I think the general feeling was "oh, it's another one-off Tom Cruise big budget sci-fi movie that isn't anything more than okay."

oh god Oblivion.  I remember taking my at the time g/f to see that and we both found it very "meh"

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd completely forgotten about that movie until I looked at Cruise's filmography because I had that suspicion that he wasn't really great at launching new franchises anymore but I needed confirmation and then suddenly a whole lot of why Edge of Tomorrow/Live Die Repeat underperformed clicked.

Basically around that same period you also have Rock of Ages which was a bomb and Jack Reacher, which did great compared to its budget but wasn't like a huge hit.

7 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

It's less clumsy then the upcoming sequel, Live Die Repeat and Repeat. Not a joke.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Yeah, I'd completely forgotten about that movie until I looked at Cruise's filmography because I had that suspicion that he wasn't really great at launching new franchises anymore but I needed confirmation and then suddenly a whole lot of why Edge of Tomorrow/Live Die Repeat underperformed clicked.

Basically around that same period you also have Rock of Ages which was a bomb and Jack Reacher, which did great compared to its budget but wasn't like a huge hit.

I swear last decade made me almost believe that I would love any action movie Tom Cruise is in again, with the three MI sequels and Edge of Tomorrow. Those are some of the best action movies I’ve watched. 

Then he had Oblivion, the Jack Reacher movies which were super forgettable and American Made which was alright, but mostly was pretty boring (also don’t really think it qualifies as an action movie, now that I think about it). 

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the live action Aladdin remake last night.  It was ok.  I liked it.  But I never had any real affinity for the original animated version like I do for Beauty and The Beast or The Little Mermaid.  I thought all the actors did a really good job, Will Smith was good as Genie in kinda making the character his own but also paying some tribute to Robin Williams performance and while I hate to talk about her appearance, Naomi Scott was just stunningly beautiful as Jasmine, but also did a good job portraying her as a more feminist-oriented character

• 2 weeks later...

Petition that I should be legally  allowed to murder someone if they won't shut up during a movie and keep asking questions about what's going on, when paying attention to the film and being quiet might clear up the confusion

I honestly thought this was going to be a limited series for Netflix, Amazon etc. As a movie, it's going to have to be the most tightly plotted seven hour film ever made to get all this shit in.

• 2 weeks later...

Should have watched Do the Right Thing much earlier, but damn what a powerful film, loved seeing all those great actors, the message is amazing. Still troublesome to be honest that a film from the back end of the 80's is still relevant today.

• Like 2