Steam/PC Mega Thread

RoHitman Reigns

Blizzard is going forward with renaming McCree in Overwatch. I'm kind of surprised, to be honest. I thought there would be a lot of waffling about "well he's a main character, other characters say his name a lot, we'd have to re-record voice lines..." and they'd ultimately come to some half-compromise. 

As someone who doesn't care about Overwatch all that much... why are they doing this exactly?

McCree was named after a now-former Blizzard employee who was a shit human being.

They gave the caveat of "it's going to take a lot of time" so maybe it's something they pull back on once the fervor dies down. But I mean realistically it is going to take a lot of time, my understanding is a ton of dialogue needs to be rerecorded.

18 minutes ago, damshow said:

McCree was named after a now-former Blizzard employee who was a shit human being.

Ah. I'd rather they focus on, you know, actually fixing their corporate shit, but I guess it's something.

They also said that going forward characters wouldn't be named after real life employees, which seems like a no-brainer in the first place to me.

16 hours ago, CLDY said:

They also said that going forward characters wouldn't be named after real life employees, which seems like a no-brainer in the first place to me.

I mean, it's not like they're hardly the first company to do it. Most notable examples include Kirby (after the lawyer who defended Nintendo against a lawsuit over Donkey Kong), Noob Saibot (Ed Boon and John Tobias, the co-creators of Mortal Kombat), and according to urban legend, Mario himself (Nintendo of America's landlord).

But none of those listed were named after sex creeps either, so Blizzard's policy moving forward does make sense from a  PR standpoint.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Haha get fucked NFTs

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I gotta say, I despite Warhammer TW. The games may be fantastic but the fact that there have been 3 of these when there are so so so many other universes out there just makes me annoyed. 

FFS GoT TW would have sold a kabillion copies

Funnily enough, I was thinking about a Game of Thrones Total War game earlier today. You'd think it would make more sense than the apparently rubbish RTS game Game of Thrones had a few years ago. The closest to it is Westeros: Total War, a mod for Medieval II.

Speaking of RTS games, I'm enjoying Age of Empires IV. The campaigns are like playable documentaries. I'd have loved it if it came out when I was a child, and I think it could be a good educational tool now.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

Funnily enough, I was thinking about a Game of Thrones Total War game earlier today. You'd think it would make more sense than the apparently rubbish RTS game Game of Thrones had a few years ago. The closest to it is Westeros: Total War, a mod for Medieval II.

Seriously, the opportunity is right there to do some really cool shit even if we're just confined to Westeros after Aegon's Conquest. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, A Businessman said:

Seriously, the opportunity is right there to do some really cool shit even if we're just confined to Westeros after Aegon's Conquest. 

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a GOT MMO yet.

23 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

What's strange about Total War: Warhammer is that there's already another acclaimed and popular Warhammer RTS series that's just had another game released. Then you've also got several turn-based strategy games with the Warhammer licence.

Yeah - we definitely dont need a third freaking TW Warhammer game. Give us something different please. I mean I think warhammer looks cool and everything, but there's already 2 games for it and now there will be a third. How about something different? 

Total War: Game of Thrones would literally be printing money for them...

Total War: Elder Scrolls - that's tricky, I know, because it is two gaming companies but still - that's an unlimited Mario block of coins.