Steam/PC Mega Thread

RoHitman Reigns

Damn you Steam for doing it at the worst time for me! I'm trying to budget here and the IRS are dragging their feet on my return!

Downloaded Going Medieval.  Its basically a zoomed in, Medieval Rimworld.  Currently going through a bit of a learning curve with it

Whatever you're planning on buying on Steam, don't. Buy Soda Drinker Pro instead, it's marked down by 69% and is under $2. 🆒

I downloaded Sonic Mania on Epic Games since it's free, only to find out that my PS5 controller doesn't work with Epic (or Sonic Mania, maybe). Same thing happens in Steam if I add it as a non-Steam game to my library. It's the only controller I have, and I'm not playing a damn Sonic game with a keyboard like... like some kind of nerd!

Damnit.

There's some car game that's free until July 1st as well. I grabbed both of them because why not. Epic's free games just adds more and more to my backlog every day though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CLDY said:

There's some car game that's free until July 1st as well. I grabbed both of them because why not. Epic's free games just adds more and more to my backlog every day though.

Horizon Turbo? It’s great fun.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Malenko said:

I saw it. Didn't pick it up. I'm going to take your word for it and get it.

It’s almost like a modern version of OutRun.

I’ve been doing the odd race or two in my downtime at work.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised nobody is talking about the SteamDeck handheld, unless it's in another thread that I've missed. Could be a Switch killer, since you can theoretically make this just a handheld PC, swap operating systems, install emulators, access Xbox Game Pass, etc. But it could also be absolutely nothing, given how Valve handled the Steam Machine and shitty support for the controller and past hardware ventures, etc.

I'm interested in the base model - apparently you can install an SD card just like the Switch - but the ship date has been pushed to Q2 2022 now if you try to buy it, presumably because of the demand. I don't know if I want to drop $300ish on a console and not have it for basically a year. Meanwhile, if you got in when preorders opened... it's still December of this year, which is a ways away as it is.

There's still too many question marks about the system for me before I form an opinion. There's a few things that make me dubious about it.

- Steam's track record with previous systems being good, but otherwise not great.

- A system that promises to be able to run AAA games 'well' is extremely lofty and vague too. Does that mean games from the past few years, or rather Skyrim.

- On top of that, IF it can run AAA games at high nick, that means it would require quite a hefty GPU/CPU, and those things are power greedy. As such the device would need a very big power supply, or else battery life will be dire. (EDIT: Having checked, they claim Portal 2 (a 10 year game at this point, and which they call 'intensive', which is worrying!) can run five-six hours locked at 30FPS.)

- Is the entire storage SD based? Or will it feature a proper solid state drive? I hope that it'll have an m.2 at the very least, since SD cards have notoriously poor speed. (EDIT: Checking this too, the base cheapest system has ONLY eMMC flash card storage, big avoid. The second tier has proper SSD storage)

- I also agree with @Bobfoc on the 'switch killer' moniker. They operate in two different markets, and I don't see Switch users jumping ship.

EDIT: So I have severe reservations about the systems right now, and would need quite a few independent (p)reviews to allay those fears.

It's not going to be anywhere near Ouya levels of bad, but I also feel that people are going to hype this thing to the moon and going to be disappointed for what they get for the price.

Switch killer seems to be something of an apt term as I've seen several people speculating about running a Switch emulator on there and having it run better than on native hardware.

Getting the base model and sticking in a Micro SD seems questionable depending on what you're planning to run, not sure what the load times would be on that. Controls seem they'd be an issue as well, all cramped up there right at the top.

Will be interesting to see how it handles modern titles. Sure it'll be able to thrash emulators of all the old systems but there seems to be countless Android type tablet/controller hybrids out there that are probably cheaper than this thing if that's all you're looking for.

I got a new computer with a souped-up graphics card. Mainly because I wanted to play Microsoft Flight Simulator. However, I recently picked up GTA IV (because let’s face it, it’s by far the best GTA if you’re not a moron) and by maxing out the settings it looks absolutely brilliant. Way better than I remember it looking on the PS3 a million years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, metalman said:

I got a new computer with a souped-up graphics card. Mainly because I wanted to play Microsoft Flight Simulator. However, I recently picked up GTA IV (because let’s face it, it’s by far the best GTA if you’re not a moron) and by maxing out the settings it looks absolutely brilliant. Way better than I remember it looking on the PS3 a million years ago.

twitch dot tv / drivingtrucksandoccasionallyflyingplanes?