2012 Africa Cup of Nations

Lineker

Yeah, I didn't read that article but I did read a piece on the chap who offered the 1m payment, and I have the feeling the Guinea team may not see it for long before handing it back or have been handed some very convincing monopoly notes because it sounds very much like this fella didn't actually have that money to give away.

As for Bangoura, he's currently playing for Rayo Vallecano in Madrid, and has actually been watched by Real Madrid already. He's only 19 though and you feel if he was to move to Madrid anytime soon he'd almost be kissing goodbye to his development, certainly it hasn't done him any harm to ply his trade in Vallecano so far and he hasn't made that many appearances for club or country. So it's probably only a matter of time before he signs for Madrid and plays 10 games in 5 years.

Who could move to Europe? Well, that Asamoah Gyan chap for Ghana looked pretty nippy even with his ghetto booty. Surely he must be on pittance out at Al-Ain and a move to Europe must be on the cards sooner or later? Weird that, while the Ayew brothers probably provide the future for Ghana, two of their best and most experienced players are Gyan and Mensah. One is playing in Al-Ain in front of 300 blokes each week and Mensah has made one appearance for Lyon so far this season. That said there is obviously no inclination for Gyan to go to a club in the spot light and play week in and week out because he can play some walking speed football for 200k a week and knows fine well he'll still be the fulcrum of the international team, so why bother?

As for players who have impressed me so far, well there's been a few but I honestly can't recall their names too well. I thought Mongala for Botswana was quite good, but he's about 26 or 27 already and still playing in South Africa so I doubt he'll be making the jump to Europe, and I only have one performance to go off so far anyways. A lot of the young players have been brought up in Europe or lived here for a while anyways, he of goal line clearance in Ghana v Botswana, John Boye, for example is a mainstay at Rennes now having taken his chance when an injury to a player gave him his chance.

Todays games see Libya v Zambia in the 4pm kick off and Senegal try and get their tournament back on track against Equitorial Guinea at 7pm.

Double post, but a fair few hours in between...

Libya v Zambia is at best delayed, but having seen the pitch I'd say its off, which means Guinea v Senegal is too. Might be a one off, but thats the final group fixtures delayed by a day already, might have to wait a bit longer to get Double Demba and The Boss back.

Good grief this is match is terrible, almost as bad as Zambia's defending for that second Libya goal. Oh, and I think the conditions are putting a certain well known stereotype to the test at the moment!

EDIT: Bicycle kick assist!

(I thought three in a row would be taking the piss :shifty: )

Edited by IAceI

Equatorial Guinea are beating Senegal 1-0 with half an hour to go! This would make Senegal the first team eliminated from the competition, and send Equatorial Guinea, the lowest ranked side in the tournament, the first to qualify for the quarter finals. Excellent news for neutrals, and Newcastle fans!

Double posting is absolutely fine if there's a decent amount of time between the posts; and both have new and useful contributions :).

Now fuck off.

Some of us