General Gaming Thread

TKz

On 29/07/2020 at 15:33, Bobfoc said:

Cyco Vision and Bring the Noise are now going to be in the Tony Hawk remasters after all. There will also be a few new tracks. The full list is as follows:

Hide contents
  • Dead Kennedys - Police Truck

Game on!

19 hours ago, Rukaru Shida said:

Does it? I'll need to check it out. The footage from a month ago or whatever was just really underwhelming. 

Yup, I was in the exact same boat, but the War Table they had yesterday made it look sooooo much better. I'm still not fully sold on it, but I'm definitely going to give the beta a go and hope it sways me.

Finished Vampyr. Was pretty fun, but the end boss was a lot easier than I expected despite the fact that my usual tactic didn't work.

It helped that I had been upgrading weapons that I wasn't planning on using just for that contingency, though.

Also did it without eating anyone, which is supposedly a challenge run, but eh, wasn't that hard. I didn't even die from the final boss and by endgame I only died from people way above my level and with overwhelming numbers.

Ok JCVD has to be unannounced DLC or something.

Really liking what I’m seeing gameplay and feature wise from the Avengers game.  Their initial trailer turned me off of it but I like their vision for what they want the game to be.

10 hours ago, Maxx said:

Really liking what I’m seeing gameplay and feature wise from the Avengers game.  Their initial trailer turned me off of it but I like their vision for what they want the game to be.

A lot of people online are freaking out about the character customization and skill screens.

EeL0QKeXkAIMcX7?format=png&name=medium

I don't have a problem with it, but it's amusing that people are freaking out about it. Too much going on in the screen, making fun of the percentage boosts for power moves and armor, etc. It's clearly not meant to be a play the game once and be done with it type game, and this screen shows that.

Oh, and bald Hawkeye is making people mad too.

Anyone else doing the open BETA next weekend?

Cuphead is so freaking good and I hate it so goddamn much. Just got to Inkwell Isle III, and I've managed to get at least an A on every boss in the first two levels. I'm going to try and platinum it and I fully expect to end up with a dualshock embedded in my TV.

Anybody playing Predator Hunting Grounds? First game in forever that makes me want to give PSN money so I can play it online. I'm between doing that and just putting money up for UFC 4.

5 hours ago, tristy said:

A lot of people online are freaking out about the character customization and skill screens.

I don't have a problem with it, but it's amusing that people are freaking out about it. Too much going on in the screen, making fun of the percentage boosts for power moves and armor, etc. It's clearly not meant to be a play the game once and be done with it type game, and this screen shows that.

Problem you've got is its Marvel. It's like anything with a big and dedicated following it will get scrutinized to hell over the littlest things whether rightly or wrongly. 

To me I don't have a problem with it. It seems a bit Destinyish for me which isn't my sort of jam but that's not a negative that's personal taste. I'll probably wait till it's gotten cheaper

18 hours ago, Maxx said:

I was definitely ready to pan the game when I saw the first gameplay trailer because it looked extremely rough. But it seems like they completely managed to turn it around and make it look interesting, and hopefully it'll be a good game when it drops.

Currently my backlog is still too great, but I might pick it up at a future date.

My initial opinion and later opinion kinda mirrors Fallen Order, that game looked like it was dead on arrival after the first gameplay trailer, but they polished it up and I loved that game.

After a quick detour away from the backlog to play Last of Us 2, I'm currently about half way through Rise of the Tomb Raider and then I'll play Shadow of the Tomb Raider. 

Really enjoying Rise so far. It's quite satisfying playing it either focusing on stealth or just trying to take everyone out and the graphics hold up to a lot of stuff out in recent years. 

8 hours ago, tristy said:

To be fair the concern, at least on my part, is that games as a service model don't tend to be built strong out of the gate. Destiny is actually a great example, because for the first like year of the games life the end game was non-existant. Which wouldn't be that bad, but the main game was also basically non-existant too as it was clearly just a set up for the end game. Loot based games live and die on three things; loot, cosmetics & challenges.

I'm hoping this game will be really cool and fun and get it right, but Crystal Dynamics has no experience in the games as a service model and it's hard to be optimistic when even some of the greats of the genre have fucked it up at launch. (looking at you, Destiny, Destiny 2, Diablo 3) I think the existence of what looks like a premium currency in a full price title is a reasonable red flag too, because even if it's just for cosmetics you can end up in a situation where the coolest stuff in the game is behind the paywall and you're playing the content to grind out stuff that's subpar.

I hope they come out with a good example of what the end game is intended to be, I think a Marvel game has huge potential for this model due to the decades of cosmetics already on offer. Doing things like... hey, this month we're dropping a new map and you'll fight The Green Goblin! He drops a new bonus set for each hero and you'll get a new costume for every character you beat him on! Also, if you beat him on the hardest difficulty, you'll unlock an exclusive skin for Captain America!

Edited by TKz

It turning out to be like original Destiny was my immediate concern.  But it looks like they’ve got a pretty robust multiplayer package at launch, whereas it felt like Destiny was expecting pvp to tide everyone over until they got around to building out the rest of the content.  

7 hours ago, TKz said:

I hope they come out with a good example of what the end game is intended to be, I think a Marvel game has huge potential for this model due to the decades of cosmetics already on offer. Doing things like... hey, this month we're dropping a new map and you'll fight The Green Goblin! He drops a new bonus set for each hero and you'll get a new costume for every character you beat him on! Also, if you beat him on the hardest difficulty, you'll unlock an exclusive skin for Captain America!

They've already said that cosmetic stuff like skins will cost money, while the "Avengers Initiative" (ie new hero DLC) will be free.

Sounds like Analogue Pocket pre-orders sold out in a whopping 15 minutes. Was kinda tempted to get one even though I wouldn't have a massive use for it but pre-orders opened whilst I was busy. Kinda taking it as a sign now they're unavailable. Still looks really neat though and would be awesome if you had a library of Gameboy, colour and advance games (plus whatever else through the adaptors) and wanted it looking nice on a piece of modern hardware.

Anyone order one or use their home system stuff?

1 hour ago, Kaney said:

Spider-Man will be a PS4 exclusive for the Avengers game! Its causing all sorts of whining.

Meh. What I care about is which version is going to have Squirrel Girl?

Playing Watch_Dogs 2. Still in early game, but the ATM hack mission is... wow. Marcus acts like a complete dick to people who don't deserve it. Jarring when most of the dickishness is purely player controlled and a lot of the stuff he does do is to people who deserve it but... hey, let's close an innocent working class guy's account and erase their life savings just for the hell of it.

• Haha 1

Been streaming for a month or so, and despite feeling awkward at first, I quite enjoy it now. Still learning, specifically sorting out audio issues. Wanted to offer a simplistic alternative to the busy, noisy world of streaming and finally get through my backlog - it's also fun doing voice acting! I have about 18,000 games to get through, so requests and such will be added to a list, and there will be a permanent 2.5% chance of a request being selected by the wheel. I also have a weird personal mission to play every wrestling game ever so that might interest people here. That includes PC and various console games (Wii/Gamecube, Switch, Xbox 360, PS3 and various back-compat stuff). Twitch has recent streams, YouTube will have sections of previous streams. Currently playing Chroma Squad, a tactical RPG based on Super Sentai (Power Rangers) and it's genuinely quite fun. Up next is an old PC-98 game from Japan called CORPSE-PARTY.

Twitch: VideoViking
YouTube: VideoViking

I also do music mixes and will be playing around with stuff in the next few weeks since I'm DJing soon. Here's a couple of links to my saved playlists, which is where I draw most of my music from for mixing. This might be of use to anyone looking to have music on in the background, there are minimal vocals.

Gaming remix playlist #1
Gaming remix playlist #2

Future plans: Wrestling match reviews/alternative commentary with a friend, or various friends depending if/when they have time, pre-50s stuff if anyone's interested in joining me for that as co-author or just watching.

If you're not cool with swearing, give it a miss, but the more the merrier.

• Like 4