General Gaming Thread

TKz

Dirt Showdown is excellent. I hear it's been getting mixed reviews, although the negative stuff seems to come from fans of the series. I've not played any of the previous ones, but I'm having a blast with this one.

I tried to beat Ad's challenge a few times but failed and turned it off :(

Fun game though, the Destruction Derby style game mode especially.

I tried playing Dead Space again on my PS3 the other day; holy hell, I just can't take shooters on consoles. I have no idea how you guys do it, it is just so wrong without a mouse. Is there any sort of trick to it or do you just have to practice using awful slow controls?

When did that come out anyway? Seen it on sale for like £15 for the complete edition. I don't really remember it coming out.

May 25. It's in the deal of the week at GS this week, £32.99. I don't know what the complete edition is. We've only had the standard and Hoonigan editions.

I think there's something to be said for EA and the over reactionary nature of gamers these days. 'Oh, they make us pay for DLC and I didn't like Mass Effect 3 ending. WORST COMPANY IN AMERICA!' Though I haven't read the article in question so I don't quite know how apologist it is for them.

I just find it weird how EA has seemingly done a 360 in recents years: a lot of people used to hate them, then they seemingly became pretty well liked and now they're back to being hated.

I think there's something to be said for EA and the over reactionary nature of gamers these days. 'Oh, they make us pay for DLC and I didn't like Mass Effect 3 ending. WORST COMPANY IN AMERICA!' Though I haven't read the article in question so I don't quite know how apologist it is for them.

I just find it weird how EA has seemingly done a 360 in recents years: a lot of people used to hate them, then they seemingly became pretty well liked and now they're back to being hated.

To anyone who thinks Ellis is over-reacting, readers of The Consumerist actually voted EA "The Worst Company In America" for 2012.

People are already doing a 360 on Madden 13 after they found out the limitations of the new mode. You can only use edited rosters in "play now"/exhibition mode, you can only play games that involve your team in the connected careers, only one player or coach per team in online leagues and no connectivity with NCAA Football 13. None of these really affect me much except that I was looking forward to possibly having multiple players on the same team. It also limits where you can go if you have anything more than a small online league.

The problem with EA is that they have this pretense that they care about quality gaming and what gamers want, but it doesn't always hold up. Obviously, there's not a massive amount you can do with yearly development cycles for sports games, but that's self-imposed. They could easily do a bi-annual release with roster updates and patches, but they don't because they can gouge gamers more money - which isn't a problem in and of itself, it's a company, it's raison d'etre is to make money. But they say they want to make the best, most realistic experiences and the two things just don't intertwine very well. They have improved the last couple of years with post-release support, but there's still bullshit knocking around like the goalie tutorial in NHL not working for three fucking years. Sure, it's a minor part of the game, but it's just so obvious that they copy and paste a lot of stuff.