Paradox games but definitely NOT GAMES OF THRONE

METALMAN

6 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I tried out the tutorial and am interested to play more. I'm not sure how accessible it is for new players, but I found the interface to be better than in CK2. My biggest problem will be deciding who to play as.

Agreed on the tutorial and just the general polish on the game - it makes a world of difference versus how rigid just popping into CK2 for the first time was.

Started playing the tutorial and became King of Ireland but then messed up attacking Scotland (who controlled Ulster) and got soundly trounced. Went back to an older save and set myself to an observer and weirdly Lapland invaded Scotland for control of Strathclyde and won that war with the help of the Finnish. The Holy Roman Empire began to eat into the Byzantine Empire and expand eastwards taking over Hungary. 

England was divvied up between the English, Irish, Scots and Norwegians who all owned bits of territory but then it all changed and the Irish took over parts of Wales while the English took the Duchy of Albany from the Scots.

I've been playing in Ireland as well, following on from the tutorial. I've just become King of Wales as well after a long, annoying war. Thankfully, I have plenty of children to marry off and seal alliances, which helped get me over the line. Unfortunately, my heir decided to murder my oldest daughter, so I disinherited him and had him imprisoned.

These probably aren't good strategies for getting high scores, but sod it. I'm playing to have fun and see what happens.

12 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

These probably aren't good strategies for getting high scores, but sod it. I'm playing to have fun and see what happens.

I can't imagine playing the game and caring about the scores either. The tutorial even lays it out that the game is about making your own goals and stuff - which I really like in a game. And being able to choose something other than "I won" or a high score is always fun to see.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can you be a viking in CK3 yet?

I started multiple CK2 games but once my kingdom became a bit too vast I lost interest. Similar thing with Cities: Skylines. I usually like to pop into games like these for a couple hours every week and they really require I devote more focus so I don't forget things.

I doubt CK3 is slimmer, but does it feel a bit more streamlined? I think that's a problem for me, just having to cycle through a ton of menus before each choice I make.

Hm. Might get this sometime then. See if I can top my last viking game where I won holy wars against the entire Catholic world and capped it off by conquering Rome.