The Walking Dead Video Game

OctoberRaven

Watch Telltale Games' Dan Connors' D.I.C.E. Keynote Speech

Lot´s of Walking Dead Spoilers included. But interested if you like to know how people that like to sell games thing about the industry.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/02/10/watch-telltale-games-39-dan-connors-39-d-i-c-e-keynote-speech.aspx

You can try Heavy Rain if you have not played it. It´s not exactly the same experience (less "tailored" reactions and more options of story branching)and has several weaknesses in terms of writing quality but you can always try it. (Many people here will show up now, call me a hater and tell me they loved the story. I still think TWD was a million miles better in getting me to feel for the characters and keeping plotholes to a minimum. It depends were your standards lie.)

Besides Heavy Rain i don´t think there are many western games. The only genre that comes to mind besides "choose your own adventure books" would be asian "digital novels" you sometimes are able to get for NDS, VITA, PSP or Cellphone and tablet. But as you might expect when you read "books" or "novel" these are much more text heavy instead a interactive movie.

I never really understood the term "digital novels" till I played one. It really is like reading a book more than playing a game.

I think TWD is much more a interactive movie than a game you play.

But i am sure, with the success this game had, Tell tale will try to bring more games that offer a comparable experience in the future and other companies will try to jump on this "new genre". Also there is "beyond: two souls" coming by the people that did Heavy Rain (as of today still for PS3, we´ll see if that changes next week at the Playstaion event).

• 2 weeks later...

Our

friend and The Walking Dead: The Game story consultant Gary Whitta may

have spilled the beans on something in the works from Telltale Games for

Walking Dead fans out there...

Have a look at this latest episode of IGN.com's 'Up at Noon' with Greg Miller.

"We may have a little something extra for you between season one and

two.” Whitta continued to tease that something is in the works right now

“that will make the wait for season two slightly less agonizing.”

Link: http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/02/25/new-walking-dead-the-game-details-on-up-at-noon

Video:

It will be very hard for them to follow up on the TellTale game. How do you follow up on a game that sacked over 80 GOTY awards and cost only 25$ at it´s full price?

I would not get my hopes up to high... often Movie/TV license games suck, there is so much big budget stuff in the genre they when it coms to killing Zombies or even just zombie addones to random Mainplotlines (CoD, RDR, Train Simulator >_> )... it´s not unlikely that this will be below average at best, so there should be absolutely no problem in picking this up a month after release for 10$.

On the other hand, i like tell tale but no one could have expected theri TWD would turn out as great as it did. So who knows. At least with Daryl they picked on of the rare characters on the TV show i don´t want to kill with fire, so maybe that suggests some potential when it comes to the brains behind this. But on the other hand he also is very famous in general so it could be him for pure marketability. We´ll see.

Defenetly not a day one purchase in a month that has Starcraft HOTS, Sims 3 Universety, Sim City 5, Tomb Rider, God of War (Assertion?!), new Sly Cooper, Company of Heros 2... no way i will buy all these games but most of them are at least big Names in the business.

TWD game based on the show looked like the biggest pile of shit. Wouldn't even think of buying it.

• Like 1

It will be very hard for them to follow up on the TellTale game. How do you follow up on a game that sacked over 80 GOTY awards and cost only 25$ at it´s full price?

I would not get my hopes up to high... often Movie/TV license games suck, there is so much big budget stuff in the genre they when it coms to killing Zombies or even just zombie addones to random Mainplotlines (CoD, RDR, Train Simulator >_> )... it´s not unlikely that this will be below average at best, so there should be absolutely no problem in picking this up a month after release for 10$.

On the other hand, i like tell tale but no one could have expected theri TWD would turn out as great as it did. So who knows. At least with Daryl they picked on of the rare characters on the TV show i don´t want to kill with fire, so maybe that suggests some potential when it comes to the brains behind this. But on the other hand he also is very famous in general so it could be him for pure marketability. We´ll see.

Defenetly not a day one purchase in a month that has Starcraft HOTS, Sims 3 Universety, Sim City 5, Tomb Rider, God of War (Assertion?!), new Sly Cooper, Company of Heros 2... no way i will buy all these games but most of them are at least big Names in the business.

That'll be Ascension. There's a single-player demo coming out tomorrow, actually.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a few LPs of it on youtube now (spoilers, obviously):

For a guy who just lost his dad Daryl doesn't seem that outraged. I think that's the idea they were going for, but the delivery of that "We gotta kill every last one of them." line is hilariously awful.