The Walking Dead Video Game

OctoberRaven

• 2 weeks later...

So the consensus is obviously these are great . How would this be as a game to play with the woman friend? She's a big walking dead tv show fan and it sounds like it doesn't require a lot of actual video game skills yah? Would this be something two people could sit down and go through together ?

Spoiler-y news on Season 2 of The Walking Dead game: (contains spoilers for the end of season 1)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/07/saving-graces-walking-dead-season-two/

Inexplicably finding themselves in conversation with an energy drink manufacturer, Telltale mentioned that they were working on season two of The Walking Dead. We already knew that but what we didn’t know is that the sequel to last year’s most efficient jerker of tears will most likely carry over saves from the ending of the original episodes. That surprises me, considering that the season ended with the zombie virus cured by a broth containing Basset Hound saliva and pixie tears. Wouldn’t it be more sensible to go back to the dark days of the decaying dead and follow a separate group of survivors rather than continuing with the Little House on the Prairie set-up suggested by that ending? Actual spoilers below.

The next paragraph really does contain spoilers so stop reading now if you haven’t finished the first season yet. STOP! If you must continue, how about this: 8.5 million individual chapters of the game were sold last year. That’s a lot of copies, although I did buy episode one on PC and PS3 because I’m an idiot, so consider the entire figure to be unfairly inflated. About six people probably played the whole thing from start to finish. Six million.

I did expect the second season to feature a completely new cast, although that’s mainly because almost everybody dies in the original. Clementine’s the obvious choice for a sequel and I’d love to see the second season jump forward a few years, showing us her teenage or young adult years. That way, the save file could be used to call back to the choices each player’s Lee made in the original, with Clem echoing his choice of words and actions.

That said, the state of the world five or ten years into a zombie takeover strikes me as much less interesting than the more immediate aftermath. Clementine is all that survives of Lee though and that sort of generational passing of the torch could be a fantastic storytelling tool. It’s hard to imagine playing as Clementine when she’s still so young though. Maybe a new protector? Maybe even the surviving couple and Clem, together?

In the same interview, Telltale CEO Dan Connors also sets the studio’s sights high for their next project: “Coming from LucasArts we always felt we could do a great Star Wars story game…We also love the idea of building out a deeper story to a great game franchise, something like Half Life Stories or Halo Stories.”

• Like 2

Can´t we talk about this without spoiler tags? Even the Dic copy has been out for almost a month now.

Lot´s of talk about Clem there. Of cause it makes sens that she will be a character, maybe even the player character, since the last scene sort of was passing the torch with Lee explaining her how to play an adventure game. But all the Omid/Crista stuff has propper setup to be continued aswell, she obviously is pregnant, they obviously will be looking for Clem.

I dunno, I kinda would like if the story plopped forward a couple of years to show an older Clem who'se personality and mentality mirrors how you acted with Lee in the first game. But on the other side I would also like to have some new story all-together. Somewhere else in the country like in the west or up north around NY.

Again I also want to have them give some clarity about what happened with Christa and Omid who depending on your choices will find Clem or not (you can send Clem somewhere else iirc).

Quite honestly there are a lot of ways for the story and franchise to go, and knowing Telltale they will make it something amazing regardless if they stay with Clem or not.

But just like Mike said above, they really made the ending feel like a passing of the torch to Clementine. And making her the PC in the next season would clearly be the most viable option if they want to start with a known backstory and also implementing the effects of S1.

Can't wait regardless though.

I don't think they'll make Clem the main protagonist. Everytime Lee failed to register an action on time, he got ripped apart by zombies and eaten and you'd have to restart from the beginning of the action sequence.. I doubt they'd do the same with Clem.

Didn't like the ending. Took me forever to play episode 5 because I didnt like the end of 4 but I especially didnt like the end of 5 (N)

What didn't you like about it?

Dont get me wrong it's poignant and good storytelling, but I am a parent and Clem was my kid. No one wants that for their kid. I wanted us to make it somewhere.

Now I'm dead and she is on her own. Those 2 assholes didn't even wait at the train for her.

Same reason I didnt like the end for Red Dead. I can understand it's a good story but I went through so much shit to get my family back and then that happened? No thanks.

I don't think they'll make Clem the main protagonist. Everytime Lee failed to register an action on time, he got ripped apart by zombies and eaten and you'd have to restart from the beginning of the action sequence.. I doubt they'd do the same with Clem.

They had a choice where Lee gets to rid Duck out of his miseries in Episode 3, I am pretty sure that they wouldn't have no problems in having Clem die either.

Remember that the entire TWD franchise have never pulled any punches in letting children die in the comics, tv series and game.

To be fair, Srar...

As you get bit in the end of Episode 4, and might possibly end up on your own, that should have been a clue that it was at least probable that Clem would end up on her own like that.

Edited by OctoberRavenO

To be fair, Srar...

As you get bit in the end of Episode 4, and might possibly end up on your own, that should have been a clue that it was at least probable that Clem would end up on her own like that.

That would be why I said it took me a long time to play episode 5. And then the false hope of chopping off your hand made it worse

Honestly, I thought that part was a wonderful touch. The idea being that, yeah, you're not going to make it, but you're going to get Clem away from danger as long as you can at all costs to yourself and others. It was the ultimate display of the theme of the plot: Lee redeeming himself through protecting Clementine.

They had a choice where Lee gets to rid Duck out of his miseries in Episode 3, I am pretty sure that they wouldn't have no problems in having Clem die either.

Remember that the entire TWD franchise have never pulled any punches in letting children die in the comics, tv series and game.

Duck's death was shown off camera, it happened once and was far from gruesome. If you fail to perform an action at any point during the game on time, Lee is eaten alive on camera, in a very gruesome fashion and there are like dozens and dozens of times it happens. I just don't see them putting Clem as the lead for that reason. Obviously the game developers could switch it so Clem doesn't die, I just think it'd take the urgency out of the need to perform the action on time. There is a huge difference between Duck being shot before he turns and the developers don't have to show the actuay death and having Clem be ripped apart 30 odd times and the team having to create the sequence for the gamer to watch.

Edited by RockPaperScissors

• 2 weeks later...