nPower Football League Thread 2012/13

Lineker

Danny Wilson has left Sheffield United.

Resigned or sacked? I'm assuming he's walked as they could be in the automatic spots if they win their games in hand... I hope that doesn't mean he's been offered a job 30 miles up the M1 <_<

• Admin

I think he walked.

This has appeared on Bury's website:

Statement from the boardroom reference financial problems at Gigg Lane
As you are well aware, Bury FC has been experiencing financial difficulties all season and we are currently in a transfer embargo imposed by the Football League because of our short term loan from the Professional Footballers Association.
At this moment in time the situation is now critical, we are quickly running out of money by trying short term fixes that are not working long term.
The club desperately needs £1million of external investment to secure the long-term future of the club.
Without this investment the club will cease to trade and there will be no more professional football played at Gigg Lane.
We are looking for a number of people, local businessmen or women to join a consortium and invest £100,000 each, with a guaranteed payback.
If you are interested please call the club and we will explain in detail our business plan.
We need you now because I repeat the club will close.
We have a responsibility to all of our staff, players and creditors to not allow the situation to get any worse.
This plea is serious; if you can help us and at the same time enjoy a return on your investment please contact the club.

• Admin

League One Portsmouth are on the verge of salvation after administrators of the club struck a late deal with Portpin for the sale of Fratton Park.
A takeover by the Pompey Supporters' Trust can now be completed after the club spent 14 months in administration.
Their takeover is conditional on taking control of Fratton Park which was owned by Portpin.
Portpin, led by Balram Chainrai, claimed they were owed £12m by the club and held Portsmouth's home as security.
The PST had offered £3m for the ground but with Portpin unwilling to sell at that price, administrators BDO went to the High Court to force the sale.
But it did not get that far, with an agreement reached out of court between administrators and Portpin, thought to be a figure of £3m plus add-ons.
It means the fans' group can now go ahead with their purchase of Fratton Park and BDO can start the process of finally bringing the club out of administration.
"It's fantastic, it's exactly the news we wanted. It's really exciting," PST chairman Ashley Brown told BBC Sport.
"It's taken a lot longer than we wanted but in the end we got the result we wanted. It's brilliant news, we're over the moon.
"Of course we believed it was possible otherwise we would not have put so much effort into it.
"There have been times where we thought we would definitely do it and times where we thought we wouldn't.
"Recently we've been very bullish, we've kept at it and we were right to as we've brought it home.
"The belief kept us going, we knew we were the right answer for the club and we all knew that we had to keep plugging away at what we wanted to achieve.
"This moment should be something special for all fans, not just Pompey. This should give a belief of what is achievable.
"We like to say we are the biggest community club in the country and we hope other clubs will follow.
"This club now has a very bright future. It is not going to be easy. We're going down to League Two but we have to accept that and use it as an excuse to rebuild."
Administrator at BDO Trevor Birch added: "I'm completely relieved. My reaction is that - relief that's is all finally over.
"It's taken quite a bit out of me personally. It's been a very difficult and complex case.
"It's been hugely frustrating, but at the end of the day it's all been worth it and Pompey are alive and kicking."
The club had been in danger of losing their 'Golden Share' - and effectively membership - with the Football League, who had warned Pompey they must come out of administration before the end of the season.
The PST have raised around £2m in pledges with fans' donating £1,000 each to save the club.
They are also backed by several High Net Worth individuals, who also support the club, and they have bankrolled the Hampshire outfit for several months now.
One of those HNW's is Iain McInnes and he will become chairman of the club as and when the PST takeover is complete.
This was the second case to determine the future of Pompey with the initial hearing in December adjourned.
It marks the end of several torturous years for a club that has been in administration twice in three years and suffered relegation from the Premier League to the Championship and now League One.
With another 10-point penalty on the way, a further relegation to League Two is expected.
On a day of drama at the High Court after two adjournments the case was finally heard and lasted only several minutes as Katharine Holland QC revealed an "agreement in principle" had been struck.
Holland asked for further time to seal the deal and after BDO returned at 15:00 BST several more adjournments followed before the judge declared it had been completed and the sorry saga was finally over.
It means Chainrai's four-year hold on the club is at an end.
Birch will now start the process of bringing the club out of administration, which is expected to be completed on 22 April.

Looks as though Brian McDermott will be appointed new Leeds manager in the next 24 hours. He was probably my first choice given we were too slow to get Adkins, though I would have liked oleary back until the end of the season to bring the kids through.

Also in what must surely be a first ever anywhere in the world Brian Mcdermott will be the Leeds United and Leeds Rhinos manager. And both teams have a winger named Ryan Hall.

• Admin

Incoming Portsmouth chairman Iain McInnes has predicted a bright future for the club, after administrators agreed a deal for the south-coast side.

After 14 months in administration a deal was finally struck between BDO and the club's major creditor Portpin.

The deal came just weeks before the Football League's expulsion deadline.

"My overriding emotion is relief. I shed a lot of tears in that court room and hugged a lot of people," McInnes told BBC Sport.

"It was a bit embarrassing but that was the outlet I needed. It's been a long road. Most importantly I'm chuffed for the fans because I am a fan myself."

After a day of drama at the High Court on Wednesday, administrator BDO revealed it had reached an out-of-court settlement with Portpin to sell the club's Fratton Park stadium.

The Pompey Supporters' Trust's takeover of the club was dependent on its taking control of Fratton Park - which had been controlled by Portpin.

Portpin believed it was owed £12m by the club and held the stadium as security via a fixed charge.

The case had been called in an attempt for BDO to force the release of that fixed charge, but ultimately it was not necessary.

After initial negotiations on Tuesday night, a deal was completed on Wednesday to sell Fratton Park for around £3m plus add-ons, meaning the club is finally rid of former owner Balram Chainrai.

But McInnes says it is important the club now focuses on the future.

"More important than who we've got rid of is who we've got now and that is the Trust who are Pompey fans pledging actual money and not loans," he said.

"I never had any doubts, I always believed we could do it. It was the right bid.

"I believe I am ready to become chairman. That job began some time ago and I've already made plans. Am I ready? Yes. Am I privileged? Yes.

"My message to fans would be 'Look forward to a bright and promising future and remember you are going to play a part in that'."

For joint-administrator Trevor Birch the news brought an end to a saga that had taken its toll on everyone connected to the club.

And Birch revealed he was now aiming for a date of 22 April for the club to exit administration.

It will then be up to the Football League when it deducts the club 10 points.

"I'm completely relieved," Birch told BBC Sport. "It's taken quite a bit out of me personally. It's been a very difficult and complex case.

"It's been hugely frustrating, but at the end of the day it's all been worth it and Pompey are alive and kicking."

The Football League had warned that if Pompey did not exit administration by the end of the season it would remove the club's Golden Share and expel them, and Birch revealed they had been close to extinction several times over the past 14 months.

"You try to divorce yourself from the personal aspect of it. Because I am an officer of the court you have to be independent - but you can't help be satisfied that the club is in the hands of the supporters because it's gone through so much," he added.

"It needs some nurturing and some TLC and who better to dispense that than the supporters?

"They were very close [to being liquidated]."

For Portpin and Chainrai, Wednesday's settlement brings to an end their four-year association with the club - a period that has seen them relegated from the Premier League to League One and enter administration twice with debts of £61m.

"Having worked closely with all parties, we are delighted to have now reached an agreement," Portpin said in a statement.

"This agreement came about due to the good faith displayed by all those involved, working together with one aim in mind: to save Portsmouth Football Club from liquidation. This has now been achieved and we wish the Trust - and the club - all the best in the future."

Pompey will now become the biggest community-owned club in Britain with supporters pledging £1,000 each while several high-net-worth investors are also involved in the bid.

Kevin Rye, spokesman for Supporters Direct, welcomed the news.

"This is of course a fantastic day for the supporters' trust movement, and we think something that football should celebrate as well," he said.

"The work that went into making this possible is extraordinary, and I don't think its significance can be underplayed.

"However what has made this possible at its heart, beyond anything that any one single individual or organisation did alone, is that the fans of the club, and the community of the City of Portsmouth, united to ensure their club can now be in the hands of the people who sustain it."