Sky Bet EFL 2023/24

Lineker

On 23/09/2023 at 16:03, FestiveJack said:

Plymouth Argyle are massive.

I was so pleased when I noticed the result and thought you'd be happy. Good win over them. Still yet to see highlights of it. Really impressed mostly when I've seen Plymouth play. 12th is a good place to be at the moment. Finger's crossed for the rest of the season. 

Hahaha mixed week for us. We lost yesterday after coming back from 3-1. Then we lost to my other team Sunderland during the week. :lol: At least Leonard scored. 

That Blackburn/Burnley cake had me and a fan in stitches about it. Both on opposite sides. :lol:

• Like 1

• Admin

Sheffield Wednesday owner Dejphon Chansiri says that he will not put any more money into the Championship club.

In a statement, the Thai businessman said that he took responsibility for all club issues but is unhappy with treatment towards him and his family from some fans.

"From now, I will not put additional money into the club," Chansiri said.

The Owls, who are bottom of the Championship, play Sunderland at home on Friday (20:00 BST).

After winning promotion from League One in the play-off final at Wembley in May, they have taken just two points from their opening eight games under Spaniard Xisco Munoz.

He replaced manager Darren Moore, who left in the summer having taken the Owls up.

In a lengthy statement, which Chansiri said he had "thought about making for some time" but "never thought he would have to do", he told supporters that "protests are a waste of time".

"I am the one who saved the club and spent the money for the club, I am the one who needs to pay around £2m on average every month," he added.

"Some fans need to have more respect for owners of clubs and not be so selfish, thinking of their own benefit without doing anything good to the club.

"Those fans who create trouble to the club and myself and believe that they are the real owner of the club need to be responsible for the financial matters of the club from now on."

Fans were unhappy about Moore's departure and have also complained about high ticket prices at Hillsborough.

However, Chansiri feels that some of the criticism aimed towards him and his family has "crossed the line".

"Fans can complain, criticise, give strong opinions, balanced opinions, say anything you like," he said.

"But no-one has the right to cross the line or the right to try and cause damage, throw insults, or go to my family which has happened again, which I cannot accept.

"Right now, this is too much."

Chansiri replaced Milan Mandaric as owner of the Owls in 2015 and under his tenure, they reached the Championship play-offs in both 2016 and 2017 under Carlos Carvalhal.

But they were eventually relegated in 2021 and needed two years to make it back up from League One.

Chansiri also says that while the club is not technically up for sale, he would be open to any realistic offers.

"I know there are people who wish for me to leave," he said.

"I personally have never said a single word on my valuation of Sheffield Wednesday or how much I would want to sell Sheffield Wednesday for, because I have never considered selling.

"It is easy - someone come forward, and if I am satisfied that the club will better prosper, then we can talk.

"If anyone wants to buy the club, they should act professionally and follow the correct process.

"All the information required is published in the accounts every year, there is nothing to hide."

Sadly there'll always be individual bellends. There's a video circulating from after Newcastle v Man City the other night with a guy and his kid making Munich Air disaster references outside St James', and the hope is he's identified quickly and banned forever. Feel so sorry for the kid though, imagine being indoctrinated into chants referring to horrible events from before your dad was even born.

22 minutes ago, Colly said:

Sadly there'll always be individual bellends. There's a video circulating from after Newcastle v Man City the other night with a guy and his kid making Munich Air disaster references outside St James', and the hope is he's identified quickly and banned forever. Feel so sorry for the kid though, imagine being indoctrinated into chants referring to horrible events from before your dad was even born.

He has been arrested I believe, based on what I read this morning.

• Thanks 2

There's 50,000+ at SJP every game, that's more people than live in my town, the idea that none of them are horrible cunts is laughable. As the FSA pointed out last week when the BBC put out a fairly sensationalist "football arrests up!" article it's still at a much lower rate per "population" than say Glastonbury. 

21 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

Is it bad I automatically asssumed it was Watford firing someone

I'm fairly sure that's intentionally why they've made it a vague headline - Watford will be well aware of the reputation they have for firing managers.

Fans had to literally invade the pitch last night apparently to get the referee to stop the match last night because there was a medical emergency. Multiple fans previously hurried to an AR to get their attention they needed help/AED, and the AR had the stewards eject them. Refs were even still trying to get the game to start again, apparently while CPR was still being done to the person on the side of the pitch.

Sounds like an absolute nightmare scenario in so many ways. Goodness.

The fan died as well I just saw now as I finished this post. That's so sad and awful.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Szumi - A Polack said:

Fans had to literally invade the pitch last night apparently to get the referee to stop the match last night because there was a medical emergency. Multiple fans previously hurried to an AR to get their attention they needed help/AED, and the AR had the stewards eject them. Refs were even still trying to get the game to start again, apparently while CPR was still being done to the person on the side of the pitch.

Sounds like an absolute nightmare scenario in so many ways. Goodness.

The fan died as well I just saw now as I finished this post. That's so sad and awful.

Just to add more context to this, it was a Leyton Orient home game 😢

• Sad 1

Birmingham City have sacked John Eustace for...*checks notes*...being sixth?

I had to double check the table in case I'd missed something because I thought they'd made a good start to the season. Granted you can put it down to new ownership wanting their own man but it feels pretty ridiculous given that anyone at the club would have snapped your hands off if you'd offered being in the playoff spots this year.

Sounds like they want Rooney which is also strange. Obviously he had a tough situation at Derby but it's not as if he's done anything amazing at DC United either by the sound of it.

FFS, no matter who owns us we can't resist appointing a "name" when things are going well. The statement they've put out is odd as well, banging on about installing a "no fear" attitude at the club.

Hope Eustace gets the Rangers job and makes a success of it.

• Like 1