European Football Thread

IAceI

24 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

Both seem pretty unhappy there. I don't know where either of them winds up. Chelsea has replaced Hazard, which I'm sure is where he'd like to go back to.

Real will stick with trying to make Hazard work for a while yet. Bale is definitely done but he now seems content to sit and make Real pay him until the end of his contract. And for a player that's basically achieved everything there is to achieve domestically, why not?

1 hour ago, MadJack said:

Real will stick with trying to make Hazard work for a while yet. Bale is definitely done but he now seems content to sit and make Real pay him until the end of his contract. And for a player that's basically achieved everything there is to achieve domestically, why not?

Then am I right to I assume the expectation is that Bale will ride it out for 2 years and then presumably head to MLS?

15 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

Then am I right to I assume the expectation is that Bale will ride it out for 2 years and then presumably head to MLS?

His agent's come out and said he's going nowhere and Real still seem to want a fee for him - the only reason they pulled the plug on his free move to China was because they suddenly got money for James Rodriguez - so in the COVID-influenced football world, I imagine there's very very few teams who'd be able to afford him, and even fewer who'd be interested. Expect him to play as much or even less for Real going forward, then with 6 months left he gets 'injured' and isn't seen again.

MLS could be his destination but he's got the money and career to call it quits anyway. Maybe Spurs have devolved enough under Jose to try and get him back by then for a nostalgia run.

Is Bale really heralded so lowly that people honestly think he wouldn't walk into the Spurs team right now? 

10 minutes ago, DFF said:

Is Bale really heralded so lowly that people honestly think he wouldn't walk into the Spurs team right now? 

I think it largely depends on which Bale you get. A motivated Bale, yes, he absolutely would walk into the Spurs (and most others) first team. But getting the petulant child Gareth Bale is a different story and there's no way to guarantee which one you'd be getting.

There was late drama in La Liga.

Leganes managed a 2-2 draw with Real Madrid and came very close to snatching the victory, which would have relegated Celta instead who could only draw with Espanyol.

Granada smashed Bilbao and took the last Europa spot after Getafe lost late on to Levante.

@Colly would have loved the Levante-Getafe game. 18mins added on in total, 4 goals chalked off by VAR, and a pen awarded by it too.

50 minutes ago, Baddar said:

@Colly would have loved the Levante-Getafe game. 18mins added on in total, 4 goals chalked off by VAR, and a pen awarded by it too.

Dale Johnson tweeted about it. Absolute joke, imagine if there'd been fans attending.

Deportivo have been relegated from La Liga B. :(