European Football Thread

IAceI

4 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

It's at this point that I should point out the embarrassing truth that I momentarily thought of Van Gaal as an ex-Barcelona player.

See I went the route of wondering if Kluivert or eirher De Boer brother managed them for a brief time, so fair enough. Your statement may become true one day in the future!

Mad to think how only a few years ago, Koeman was getting fumed at on twitter for having red christmas decorations whilst being at the Ev. Now he's gonna be managing Barca 

Another example of the maudlin nostalgia infecting football when it comes to managerial appointments because of 'DNA'.

Stop having a go at Koeman. I like him and he’s done okay.  Barcelona have done reasonably well out of hiring hitherto unheralded managers (Guardiola, Vilanova, Luis Enrique) who were nevertheless immersed in the club’s culture. If they want someone who knows how things work it makes sense and I wouldn’t dismiss him so readily.

I'm not massively disagreeing with you on this (there are worse appointees, though I dare say there might be better), but in all of those 3 cases they'd come through the route of being around the club through the B and C teams, or assistant manager to the first team in Vilanova's case. Koeman hasn't been around Barca in nearly 20 years (had to google that) so he's certainly not immersed in the Xavi/Iniesta/Messi edition of Barca culture.

Though that could be a good thing.

TIL former Chelsea defender Eddie Newton is head coach of Trabzonspor and despite only ever managing them for two matches, has already won the Turkish cup.

• Haha 1