Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

1 hour ago, Colly said:

Isn't that an odd decision? I can get not doing a Spiderman origin given he's had two this century, but a more obscure character like Spawn who had a fairly naff film in the 90s? It would appeal to the die hard fan but might cut out a lot of the general audience. 

Spawn isn't the protagonist. Todd MacFarlane has stated that the movie won't be about him. That it's going to be more of a horror film, with this boogeyman lurking in the shadows who a lot of us happen to know as Spawn. So in that sense, it would be like A New Hope focusing on the origin of Darth Vader as opposed to Luke Skywalker. Vader was the boogeyman, but he played a much larger role in the narrative than anybody could have thought just by watching that first film. Spawn, the boogeyman, will be a huge part of the movie, but it's not about him. I'm sure that potential sequel skeletons have been put together, and I wouldn't be surprised if his origin is explored there.

This is not a superhero movie. It's going to be a dark, detective thriller that dives headlong into horror. The first one made the mistake of trying to be too much of a superhero film. The CGI didn't age well, but for me, the biggest problem with the original film is that it wants to be a superhero flick and provide us with this triumphant protagonist, but it's also trying to respect the horror side of it all, and it falls flat on both fronts. Spawn should be horrifying from the start, with flickers of heroism as we start to get to know the character, and he gains more control over his powers and turns on the forces of Hell.

• Like 1

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The description that is out there of a crime-horror movie that just features Spawn in the back makes me think they're just going to adapt that fat ice-cream truck driver/serial child murder pedophile into his own movie. And if they do that it's going to be real fucking weird to see the police fail to get this guy after whole movie only for Spawn to Oogie-boogie out of the night and mutilate the shit out of him in the last five minutes.

1989928-803031_spawn005222jm_super.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

That's the episode that caused me to drop the entire show from my weekly viewing until the series ended. I didn't go back and watch the rest of the season until maybe a week after it was added to Netflix. The payoff for that dumb Beebo shit was pretty cool, but it still really soured me on the show. The rest of the season was okay, I guess, with maybe two or three stand out episodes. But, to me, it's never been the "perfect comic book show" that people online (and critics too I guess) seem to think it is.

I still hate Ray Palmer and wish he would go away.

That Beebo episode was great. Hedgehog Day was probably my favorite of the season 3 episodes I've watched, but I still need to pick it up and binge through the last four or five.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Benjamin said:

That Beebo episode was perfect comic book TV show. In fact, most of season 3 is. LoT is the perfect counterbalance for Agents of SHIELD for me.

LoT and SHIELD couldn't be more opposites as far as comic book TV shows goes, but they both do it perfectly

• Like 3

Yeah, that's what I meant. One does it super serious, one does it super goofy. They're perfect accompaniments for each other, used to be quite fun when they were on the same day (unless I'm imagining this and I just watched them on Wednesdays together).

• 3 weeks later...

I do find that and the violence in the teaser interesting because I really just assumed it would be the same stuff as The CW (but streaming!) so while that does look a bit cheesy, maybe some of the other decent ideas they have for the service won't be as bad as I assumed they would be?

Another entry in the DCEU Murderverse!

God that looks like ass. Dick being angry at Batman is fine but killing ruins him. Dick is supposed to be better than Bruce(And pretty much every other hero) as a human being. I don't care if they pull an Arrow an have him quit it. Him doing it at all ruins him.