Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

1 hour ago, angeluzcr said:

☺️It is this Sunday! I mark out when Tom Welling appeared.

I did the same when Kevin Conroy appeared.  He will always be my Batman

• Like 1

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hypable: What was it like to finally embody the character of Bruce Wayne on-screen after being what so many consider the “official” voice of Batman for so long? And did you think this moment would ever happen?

Kevin Conroy: I never thought this moment would happen, first of all. Let’s just get that out of the way. What was shocking to me was I know the character so intimately. I’ve played him for 27 years. And when you perform a voice, the sound booth can be sort of like a cocoon. It’s a very safe space, and it’s a very intimate space. And it’s easier to be emotionally exposed in a performance in there because it’s such an intimate space.

Well, suddenly I was on a soundstage with not just the other actors, but dozens of crew members and lighting people and sound people and script people and hair people and makeup people and people running all around. And you’re exposing yourself, embodying this character in three dimensions that you’ve always done just with your voice. And it’s a very emotional performance. And I was shocked at how exposed I felt and what a leap it was. It was a real leap for me to go from the sound booth to a live action performance, which is interesting because I’m a stage actor originally. I did all on-camera, but my career took a left turn into voiceovers about 25 years ago and it just happened by chance that was where my career went. And I’d forgotten how vulnerable you feel and exposed you feel in front of a crew like that on a soundstage like that.

What excited you about “Crisis On Infinite Earths” and made you want to appear? Did you need any sort of persuasion?

Oh God, no. No. They suggested it, and I said yes, I’ll be right there. But to be honest, I didn’t know what I was getting into. I thought they were going to… they were talking about old Bruce Wayne from Batman Beyond. And I said to Marc, the producer, when he called about it, I said, “I’m not that old. I don’t want you to think you’re casting an 80-year-old. I’m not.” And he said, “Oh, no, no. We know what you look like.” And then when I got the script, I realized there are emotional elements of Bruce Wayne from Batman Beyond, but it’s not Bruce Wayne from Batman Beyond. It’s a very different Bruce Wayne.

How much were you told about this version of Bruce and [“Crisis on Infinite Earths”] before you got on set?

Not a lot, to be honest, because they’re creating six hours of film, and there’s a massive number of actors and crew and writers involved. It’s a huge undertaking. So, you’ve got to basically show up and be on your A-game. You know what I mean? There’s no learning on the set. You’ve got to show up and perform. So, I had to do my own homework and know what I was going to do as Bruce Wayne when I got there. And there are similarities to old Bruce in Batman Beyond, but he’s very different. But there are some similarities.

Based on the episode description, it appears that Kate Kane and Kara Danvers track down Bruce in episode 2 of the crossover. Can you tease the relationship between Kate and this Bruce?

Personally, I think it’s kind of a heartbreaking relationship. There’s a strong emotional reaction, and Ruby is such an open, emotional actress, and a generous actress, that she made it very easy for me.

How did working opposite Ruby Rose and Melissa [Benoist] influence your portrayal? What was it like to sort of step into this world with these two characters in particular?

Well, the funny thing was that they’re kind of the next generation of the superheroes. And you know, we all see ourselves differently. I look at the world through the eyes of a 26-year-old, and I scare myself when I pass a mirror. I don’t see myself as my age. I don’t feel my age. So, when I was on the set with these beautiful, young actresses, and I was just, I was one of the gang. I was just the same age as they were. And then when I saw a picture of us all together, I thought, whoa. Who’s that old man? So, when I was interacting with them, I was just interacting with peers. We were all on the set together.

[With] this incarnation of Bruce in particular, [are there] any moments that surprised you or might surprise fans when they finally see the crossover?

Yes. I can not elaborate, but yeah. There will be moments that surprise fans.

Is there anything that you can tease that fans might like?

This Bruce is the result of a life of sacrifice, of giving and giving and giving of himself and never getting anything back. That’s this version of Bruce. So, it’s different than the Bruce Batman that I had performed previously. This is a somewhat dark version.

God I cannot say how hype I am to see Kevin Conroy play a live action Bruce Wayne

Speaking of, I'm trying to catch up on some 2019 shows and it feels like The Flash fell off an absolute cliff from where I left off last season. I usually don't like to bag on acting because a) I think an actor's performance often has so much to do with direction and script and b) it's an Arrowverse show, but Chris Klein as Cicada might honestly be turning in the single worst performance I've ever seen on one of these shows. All of the sideplots feel like they're lifted out of a Fox Family show from twenty years ago, too.

That Cicada guy was fucking horrible. Last season was just such a dumpster fire of a TV show. This season isn't much better, actually, it's been fucking turd-y. 

Supergirl is about the same, but they're trying something different (like they do every year) and it's more uncomfortable than just bad. The Flash is the same old shit since season 2, they haven't done anything new or interesting since. 

It's probably just only a 'lil bit better than Batwoman, though. 

Man oh man...Crisis Episode 1

Earth-X (With an appearance by The Ray!) DEAD!

Earth-66 (With an appearance from Burt Ward saying "Holy Crimson Sky of Death!") DEAD!

Earth-89 (With an appearance from Robert Wuhl, who played Alexander Knox in Batman) DEAD!

Earth-9 (With an appearance by The Titans!) DEAD!

Earth-38 (Supergirls Earth) DEAD!  But half its population evacuated to Earth-1!  Man, remember when we thought undoing The Snap would lead to logistical issues?  Try adding another 3 billion people to Earth instantly

Oliver Queen...*sniffles*  dead :crying: after staying to fight so an extra 1 billion people could be evacuated

Also, Ray Palmer and Sara lost pub trivia because The Legends accidently changed what the last song ever written by Janis Joplin was...which is SUCH a Legends thing to do

Okay, so the first episode of COIE was pretty meh, but this second episode... holy shit. LOVED IT.

Spoiler

That Tom Welling appearance :wub:

AND KEVIN CONROY!

Okay, so we getting for the paragons?

1. Kara Danvers
  2. Sarah Lance
  3. Kate Kane
  4. Brandon Routh's Clark Kent
  5. Barry Allen
  6. Oliver Queen
  7. Black Lightning or Stargirl? 

1 hour ago, Benjamin said:

Okay, so the first episode of COIE was pretty meh, but this second episode... holy shit. LOVED IT.

Hide contents

That Tom Welling appearance :wub:

AND KEVIN CONROY!

Okay, so we getting for the paragons?

1. Kara Danvers
  2. Sarah Lance
  3. Kate Kane
  4. Brandon Routh's Clark Kent
  5. Barry Allen
  6. Oliver Queen
  7. Black Lightning or Stargirl? 

In regards to that

I'm thinking its going to be Black Lightning.  Most of last nights episode was BL was directly related to Crisis.  The increased antimatter turned the sky red and was causing one of his daughters powers to go haywire and she was phasing between different Earths.  Also confirmed BL doesn't take place on Earth-1, since she was phasing between her unnumbered Earth as well as Earth-1 and Earth-2.  Also seems like the BL writers didn't get the memo, since Earth-2 is already gone, and Earth-1 was destroyed in their episode.  

But at the end, BL is zapped out of his Earth just before its destroyed

CoIE 3 was the best so far IMO.  Just so much great stuff!  I also hate that this is the last for the next month

Also not sure if they are on The CW or not, but you should definitely check out the Crisis Aftermath shows.  I've been watching them on the CW's website.  There have been 2 so far, one after episode 1 and one after episode 3.  They are really good

Episode 3 of COIE:

Spoiler

The Atom! Oh boy. Did not see him as one of the paragons. That's definitely cool that they didn't go the route of the CW staples as the paragons, I mean, that Oliver isn't one of them but could be the new Spectre (with new Spectre costume, maybe?!) could be so cool.

Also, I fucking loveeeee Jon Cryer's Lex Luthor. This might honestly be the most dastardly Lex Luthor ever on a TV or movie medium, right? I mean, that move at the end is just nasty AF. I am so pissed at him right now, especially because that might be the last we see of Brandon Routh as Superman.

Ruby Rose is really growing on me right now. She's doing so well interacting with Melissa Benoist and the rest of the Arrowverse. Just goes to show that how weak her castmates are (except her sisters and Luke, 

I didn't know this but apparently the showrunners tried to get Keanu Reeves to make an appearance as Constantine (as well as a Nic Cage Superman!), but they were asking for too much money.

They should have Lynda Carter as Wonder Woiman and Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher as Lois & Clark. All 3 have already been on SUPERGIRL. Heck, Helen Slater could pop-up as Supergirl/Superwoman, since she plays Kara's mother.

Crisis stuff

Spoiler

Normally I can get on with a disgraced version of Batman. It's a neat story to tell but it really bugs me that this is the only version of Batman the CW has presented and it's probably the only live action Batman that Kevin Conroy will ever play. 

2 hours ago, =BK= said:

Crisis stuff

Hide contents

Normally I can get on with a disgraced version of Batman. It's a neat story to tell but it really bugs me that this is the only version of Batman the CW has presented and it's probably the only live action Batman that Kevin Conroy will ever play. 

If you watch the Aftermath show though

He talks about how much he liked it and loved giving a different portrayal of Bruce Wayne