Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate anything that's"Blank but before blank!" as a concept so I've never watched Gotham or Smallville outside of bits while others were watching. 

I quit Gotham midway through season 3. The show is a hot mess. Although I hear that their version of the Joker was good. And yes, Jerome was supposed to be their version of the Joker. They just couldn't use the name because Warner wouldn't allow it because they were afraid it would dilute the brand to have multiple Jokers at the same time.

Also, did they ever get around to turning Harvey Dent into Two-Face?

Edited by Hellraiser

First season was awful but it did pick up at the halfway point where they seemed to completely change tack. Second season was miles better, but I still haven't got round to watching anything after that.

Random thought about The Joker movie. I wonder why they felt the need to change his colors away from purple and green?

So I finally saw Joker. It felt like someone watched The King of Comedy and...didn't get The King of Comedy. More than anything else, I felt it was a story that didn't need to be told. My understanding of that character isn't enhanced, I was confused as to whether the film wanted to me to be empathetic, I watched the whole thing feeling kind of cold (and not in an engaging emotionally-detached kinda way). I thought the Batman tie-in stuff was super lame as well. It looked beautiful, the costumes were great and Phoenix is brilliant, but that ultimately couldn't redeem it for me by the finale. Yeah, not for me. 

• Like 3

I feel Jonah Hill as an actor is fine, but when I see him in films it always feels he's playing some exaggerated variation of Jonah Hill. The Will Smith effect, if you will.

It's all speculation of course, but I would've felt that a Jonah Hill riddler would definitely not land with me, because all I'd see is Jonah Hill.

• Like 2

On 16/10/2019 at 16:05, Benji said:

Nope, abandoned plot line.

Gotham had amazing and terrible moments. It's a show I grew to love but would judge nobody for giving up on, especially that first season which was an absolute woof of a show.

The first season was an entire season of "that Selina Kyle is like some kind of...human cat" and "that Nygma really enjoys...a question or statement intentionally phrased so as to require ingenuity in ascertaining its answer or meaning."

• Like 1

On 16/10/2019 at 11:05, Benji said:

Nope, abandoned plot line.

Gotham had amazing and terrible moments. It's a show I grew to love but would judge nobody for giving up on, especially that first season which was an absolute woof of a show.

What I had always read was, when watching Gotham, just repeat the phrase "Ok, sure Gotham, why the fuck not" every now and then

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Lint said:

What I had always read was, when watching Gotham, just repeat the phrase "Ok, sure Gotham, why the fuck not" every now and then

That's actually a perfect way to look at it. There's some goofy AF shit and some really questionable stuff, but it's like the antithesis of a WWE show in that what it does eventually does get you to a good/interesting conclusion.

So three episodes in and I kinda see what some people thought about Ruby Rose playing Kate Kane/Batwoman.  She tends to be very stiff and wooden, which would be great if it was intentional.  But there are times when she should be showing emotion and it just doesn't come across.  There was a scene last week where she was making sniffling sounds and having her voice tremble, like she was crying, but her face just showed nothing like that.  On the other hand, you can tell there was a length of time between the filming of the pilot and E2, because there actually was an improvement in Ruby Rose's acting in the 2nd

Otherwise, the show is pretty good.  The actress playing Alice could, if the movies weren't a thing, play a very good Harley Quinn.  Has that right mix of psychotic/sanity.  And Kates stepsister, Mary, is really well played and hides her own dual roles great.