Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so excited for that film, way more than I have been for any of the others (recent or upcoming) at least until we see more Guardians

The Winter Soldier comic was the start of one of my favourite runs ever though, so of course I'm looking forward to this.

I wish this had come out when I was still a teenager and not completely sick of Frank Miller's bullshit. I'm going to wait and see how it reviews.

Count me in the "Oh, more Frank Miller? I'm okay, thanks." camp. I liked the first Sin City plenty, but I'm not sure it needed a sequel. I don't think it's really a world that needed any more exploration.

I'm seeing a theme here when it comes to Miller film adaptions.

Yep.

I probably missed it, but am I the only one who absolutely doesn't care if they make Johnny Storm black? I mean, I'd prefer if they just made both he and Sue black simply to keep the full blood sibling thing, but it's a pretty meaningless change. Actually, changing Sue would have been cool, since there's very few mixed race couples in comic book movies.

I was talking to my dad about it, and there are very few characters where I feel like changing the race would mean anything, and most of them are black to start with. You can't have a white Black Panther, or Luke Cage...well, I guess you could, but it'd be weird. Obviously you can't change Magneto, since him being ethnically Jewish (and from Nazi Germany) is probably his most important character trait, it's what makes him, arguably, the best villain in comcs. The only characters I could see it mattering in, really, are Captain America, because of the racial inequality in the US during the 40s, intrinsically the character could be black and it wouldn't matter, and changing any of the non-Johnathan Stewart Green Lanterns, but that's only because there's Stewart...

Sorry... I'm rambling, took some pain killers >_>

The general consensus seems to be that the single change of Johnny Storm's race isn't such a huge deal... but that grouped together with all of the other rumored/potential changes that the movie will have, it has a lot of people very nervous about the film.

Of course, being the internet, people who want the characters to remain as close as possible have been labelled as racists for not liking changes from the source to the screen.

Where I stand, is that the actors are all very talented, but I don't trust Fox, and the amount and significance of other rumored changes to the source material has me wondering if the original two films will be considered closer to the source material... and that scares me.

I remember when the original came out, and despite giving a very good performance, Julian McMahon's portrayal of Dr. Doom was assaulted at every possible moment. The internet went batshit crazy because of the comparatively small changes made to one character. It's going to be a massively more vocal and angry reaction if even half of the rumored changes end up making the final draft of the script.

Julian McMahon was fucking awesome as Dr. Doom.

If Clark Gregg has faith in Michael B. Jordan as the Human Torch, so do I. The rest of that cast? Not so much. I do like Miles Teller, but Mr. Fantastic? I don't know about that.

• Like 2

Julian McMahon was fucking awesome as Dr. Doom.

If Clark Gregg has faith in Michael B. Jordan as the Human Torch, so do I. The rest of that cast? Not so much. I do like Miles Teller, but Mr. Fantastic? I don't know about that.

Julian McMahon was the highlight of those two movies.

I've got faith in Miles Teller delivering a good performance.

My lack of faith is in the writing and the direction of the franchise.

Of the Fox superhero movies, I would only say that First Class was better than a popcorn flick. I like them all, and there's a place for them, but aside from First Class, Fox has done nothing with any of these properties that tells me that they are in good hands.

Confirmed: two end credit scenes for The Winter Soldier.

Click spoilers to find out what they are...

Scene 1; set up for Avengers 2:

Baron Von Strucker has Loki's scepter and says that a "new age of Miracles" is upon us, with Quicksilver and Wanda in a cell behind him. Reviewer suggested that it comes across like "miracles" is the new term for mutants to get around that pesky copyright problem.

Which is awesome, psyched to see it.

Scene 2; kind of spoils the end of TWS, really not worth knowing... but hey, if you wanna ruin it for yourself:

Bucky shows up at a WW2 War Memorial, finds his name listed and apparently starts to figure out that he's Bucky, implying he won't find out by the end of the film, but I guess he'll have turned good guy.

• Like 1