Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a huge Fantastic Four fan but I really don't have high hopes for this movie. The casting of Jordon has little to do with it. ComicsAlliance hit the nail on the head when it come to the subject and if you have a problem with that casting you should check out this article which sums up my stance more elegantly than I can here.

My real issue is that the best Fantastic Four stories aren't origin tales -- they are the stories that show a fully formed family reacting to the world of super heroes they live in. It is why the Incredibles will likely go down as the best "Fantastic Four" movie and why Jonathan Hickman's run on the book is so widely celebrated. His entire arc is built around the interplay of those relationships and the cosmic MacGuffins are all just window dressings that make exploring that interesting. Again, I will never understand Hollywood's obsession with origin films. I guess it is in the simplicity of the arc. Either way, it is hard for me to get excited about Fantastic Four -- Fast Times at Baxter Building High.

That is a good article that properly displays a lot of the chief concerns that I have.

One thing I didn't like though, was the inference that by not casting characters out of race (casting a black man to play a traditionally white hero, or a white woman to play a latina character, or whatever else have you), that by not doing that, there is some level of racism involved.

Isn't it more racially insensitive to say that established characters HAVE to be played by non-traditional ethnicity's to prove that there is no racism involved in the casting of said characters? Isn't that like saying "Sorry, we can't hire you because you're white, and we need to fill our diversity quota for the store"? And you can't pretend that doesn't happen either, because I've worked at places that I have seen hire less deserving people because they fill an ethnic or gender-related need within the store.

I want to make it clear that I'm not against the casting of Michael Jordan. The dude is a good actor, and I think he has the chops and personality for the role. I just don't understand the decision right now, because Fox has been silent on the issue. Their PR department should have been all over this, talking about the film, the casting decisions and what they want to do with the movie. Right now, all we have is rampant speculation, and the only confirmed bits point to a likelihood of Fox taking this film in directions that the established fan-base is not happy with.

There are a lot of great things about the internet, but the worst thing about it is stuff like this. We know more than we used to at this point in film development, but the studios haven't quite caught up on adapting and being more transparent and forthcoming about what is happening.

At the very worst, I'm expecting a decent popcorn-action-flick. Maybe Fox can pull another First Class out of their asses, but I doubt it.

As a fan, I just want to see what I read brought to life on the silver screen. I know that it means alterations need to be made in order to make it work properly, but with this property especially, I really don't feel like Fox has even tried to make it work without changing things, and it sucks, as a fan, to feel like they just don't give a shit.

As someone who is aware of the Guardians, it's awesome.

But I really don't think it does a good job of letting those unaware of the comic know what it's all about.

As someone who doesn't have the slightest clue what this is, I have to agree. It looks dumb and I have no idea what it's even suppose to be.

I've read a couple of the books that tie into what I've been reading and I'm not even quite sure.

Yeah, there will be more trailers coming that detail the plot of the film. Because Guardians is such a niche property, they went with a trailer that sets the tone and introduces the characters.

I've seen a lot of hate for it, but I'm confident that the movie will win over a lot of the skeptics.

I've never read the comics and my 'research' is a brief glance at the wiki page after seeing the trailer, but I loved it. That said I've never been a fan of giving away the plot of a film on the trailer so that you spend half the film knowing where they're going to go next anyway, so probably just me.

The amount of people I see around who hold the position of "If you're at all put off by a black guy playing Johnny Storm l then you're a dirty racist" is amazing. No, fuck off, I'd be just as put off if a white guy was playing Luke Cage or a Latino guy was playing Shang-Chi.

I'm "put off" because it's not accurate. MBJ could be green for all I care, it still wouldn't be accurate. I put it in the same boat as if they made Thing any color besides orange. I put "Put off" in quotes since I'm not a FF fan really so It doesn't really bother me but it's the hot issue right now and I can look at and say "Yeah, I see why that'd be off putting" cause I'd be put off if they make a Black Panther movie like I want and they casted anyone but a black man for the role.

There's literally not a single reason that Johnny Storm can't be a black guy. There's a thousand reasons Black Panther can't be a white guy. Not remotely the same thing.

Jordan is a great actor that will make a fantastic Johnny Storm. You and the internet need to get over your stupid preconceptions of what exactly is important in the qualities of an actor when it comes to a role.

• Like 2

There's literally not a single reason that Johnny Storm can't be a black guy. There's a thousand reasons Black Panther can't be a white guy. Not remotely the same thing.

Jordan is a great actor that will make a fantastic Johnny Storm. You and the internet need to get over your stupid preconceptions of what exactly is important in the qualities of an actor when it comes to a role.

How about the fact his blood sister is white as can be? Make Sue black or mixed then too for some consistency if you want new versions of the characters.

Edit:But I guess since they're changing things they can be step-Siblings with no blood relations. Meh, it just feels weird to change things like that.