Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really care how they're written as long as they're readable and don't look like a middleschooler with learning issues wrote them. I like to read and the cute gothy redhead at the library suggested them so I read the first one and I liked the story enough to keep going with them. They're not my favorite books and I probably won't ever read them again but they were ok for what they were. The movies are horrible, steamy piles of shit that make me cringe when I see parts of them.

A couple years ago I tried reading HP again. I got 2 pages in and was like "I use to like this?I can't read this.".

I always like to turn to Stephen King for a handy comparison between Potter and Twilight.

“Harry Potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strength and doing
what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it
is to have a boyfriend.”

• Like 4

Perhaps if harry potter had been something from my childhood I'd like it regardless of perceived flaws, I know I've forgiven other stuff in my childhood that doesn't completely hold up, like inspector gadget for example but because harry potter was only something that became a thing I noticed when I was old and cynical I was never going to see its appeal. Twlight was further turning vampires into a plot device for sloppy romance tales so that was never going to appeal to me regardless of my age.

Twlight was further turning vampires into a plot device for sloppy romance tales so that was never going to appeal to me regardless of my age.

That's pretty much the role vampires have held for the entire time they've existed in fiction.

There are a ton of things to criticise Twilight for (though why bother? At this point, "I don't like Twilight" is so ubiquitous as an opinion that it's become utterly meaningless. It's like expecting someone to give a shit that you don't like Justin Bieber. Of course you don't.), whether it be that it's poorly written, that the characters are almost universally unlikeable, or that it has a hideous moral message running through it, but criticising it for the way it presents vampires is asinine.

That's not a criticism specifically levelled at you, incidentally, but directed at about 50% of the entire fucking internet.

That said, I still want to write a story where a troubled teenage girl moves to a new town and falls in love with a brooding, cute young Mummy.

• Like 3

I actually did say sloppy romance tales. Not saying vampire stories can't have romantic aspects(sometimes significant) to them but I objected to Twlight and other uses of vampires in recent years using vampires a plot device for bad romance stories.

So do we blame Anne Rice for romanticising vampires? Or were there others before her?

Because she's the prime example of someone who got into that just a tad.

The Vampyre by John Polidori is pretty much considered one of, if not the, first use of the "vampire" in the way we now recognise it in fiction, as an urbane, society figure rather than just a mindless monster.

It was written in 1819, and the vampire in question, Lord Ruthven, is largely based on Lord Byron. He's an attractive gentlemen who seduces the women of high society.

The idea of a vampire as a romantic or sexual being, or an allegory for such things, is pretty much as old as vampire literature, one way or another.

I suppose Anne Rice, in a way, modernised the kind of Dracula model of the ancient, high society vampire seducing women as a means to social or political success. But then I've not read any Anne Rice, I've just seen Interview With A Vampire, and known far too many girls, and women old enough to know better, than obsessed over her books, yet then criticised Twilight endlessly, only to then obsess over True Blood.

Pfft, True Blood. Vampire Diaries is the cool vampire show now, Skummy.

There's nothing cool about the Vampire Diaries >_>

I'm all for Anna Paquin nudity too, but let's not pretend 30 seconds of breast makes up for 49 minutes and 30 seconds of dreadful. I quite enjoyed True Blood for the first two seasons, but once all that fairy bullshit started up it was all downhill from there.