Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

It does feel a bit 'Doctor Doom is a woman because why the fuck not', so hopefully if it is true there's some kind of creative reason rather than just that.

I am half tempted to audition for Wonder Woman...

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't read the comics at all & most of my exposure to Marvel comes from films & animated series, but didn't Dr Doom have a daughter called Valeria or something at some point? That's one concievable way they could explain it/justify it.

That being said, I still think it's a terribly pointless idea

I don't read the comics at all & most of my exposure to Marvel comes from films & animated series, but didn't Dr Doom have a daughter called Valeria or something at some point? That's one concievable way they could explain it/justify it.

That being said, I still think it's a terribly pointless idea

Valeria is Reed & Sue's daughter. Doom's like her godfather or something, right? It was he who named her, I think. She calls him "uncle Doom".

There's really no point. This isn't like, say, Elementary where the source material has been explored so many times that changing up the status quo offers interesting new options. And Doom's real defining thing as a character is his hatred of Reed Richards, which while not inherently male has always felt like a thing with very strong alpha male undertones.

As a comic book buff I'm alright with the change.

I'd be more trusting of change if they hadn't royally fucked themselves with the first two movies and needed to reboot them already.

I enjoyed the first two movies for what they were, but they are entirely forgettable and full of bad decisions that would have been better off if they hadn't deviated from the source material to begin with.

And now, here we are, with the reboot happening, and they are straying FARTHER from the source material. At what point does it become Fantastic Four in name only?

Which brings me to a question... for the legal buffs at the EWB: is it possible for Marvel's lawyers to step in and claim that Fox isn't making a proper Fantastic Four movie, and thus has no grounds to retain the rights to the franchise? I don't necessarily mean with the changes that are expected... but if they continue to change things, is there a point where the Marvel legal team can take this to court and try to snag back the rights to the FF franchise? Especially being that the reboot is only being made so that Fox can continue to hold the rights.

Pym has a daughter? Also, who's playing Jane?

It says it's a non-comic character. Previously they had Rasida Jones rumoured for Wasp, but the way the film is going kind of leads me to believe we won't see Wasp as an active character, if she pops up I'd imagine it'd be as Hank Pym's wife. Which makes me think this is the part Jones was actually rumoured for and everyone just assumed Wasp.

I'd be cool with her being in the film, I never liked her in Lost but she was lovely in The Hobbit.

I'm kind of okay with Wasp not being a part of the MCU, though. I like the character in the comics but I don't think she's a great fit for the MCU... and there's way more female characters I'd rather see pop up first.

I'd be more trusting of change if they hadn't royally fucked themselves with the first two movies and needed to reboot them already.

I enjoyed the first two movies for what they were, but they are entirely forgettable and full of bad decisions that would have been better off if they hadn't deviated from the source material to begin with.

And now, here we are, with the reboot happening, and they are straying FARTHER from the source material. At what point does it become Fantastic Four in name only?

Which brings me to a question... for the legal buffs at the EWB: is it possible for Marvel's lawyers to step in and claim that Fox isn't making a proper Fantastic Four movie, and thus has no grounds to retain the rights to the franchise? I don't necessarily mean with the changes that are expected... but if they continue to change things, is there a point where the Marvel legal team can take this to court and try to snag back the rights to the FF franchise? Especially being that the reboot is only being made so that Fox can continue to hold the rights.

As long as it has a guy who stretches, a woman that turns invisible, a guy on fire and a side made out of rock, they've got nothing. No way in hell would they ever even attempt to go to court on the grounds of a character being the wrong gender or skin color.

This is so laughably bad. You want Marvel to sue Fox because they made a character black and female? That's ridiculous because again, that does not affect the core of the characters. GoGo's point about Alpha Male mentality being apart of the Doom character is fair, though I don't think it's impossible to craft a story without it. Outside of that, these are cosmetic changes that affect nothing about the movie other than the fact that they don't look like what you had in your head.

You bring up the last ones like that has any bearing on this one. They're two completely different production teams so your fears about this one are misplaced. Never mind the fact that the comic book movie landscape is incredibly different than it was then.

Trank has apparently said that the gender twist that was rumored is bullshit, so outside of that we continue to know very little other than Miles Tellar is being looked at, so it presumably would feature a younger Fantastic Four.