Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked Man of Steel, but I also liked Batman Forever. Just because I enjoy a film, doesn't mean that it's the best way to go about doing it, or that it won't be a massive clusterfuck. Green Lantern wasn't a great movie, and there is a legitimate argument for rebooting that franchise instead of keeping it in continuity. I really enjoyed the Green Lantern flick, but I can completely understand why some people would rather just wipe it away.

So for me, I'm excited for this next film. I'm convinced already that I'm going to enjoy it, but that doesn't mean that it won't flop like other DC properties and just lead to another restart.

The problem with DC isn't the quality or lack thereof. The problem with DC, is that aside from committing to Christopher Nolan's trilogy, they've historically lacked conviction with their film properties. On the positive side of the argument is the fact that only recently have they even considered taking them seriously, so they've got that going for them.

But this is a company, paired with a studio in Warner, who needs to build that trust with its audience. They need to stand behind their product and commit to it. No more talk of rebooting this or that property. Just commit to it.

What would go a long way towards doing that, would be to announce a couple of other flicks to come between SVB and the Justice League. Whether it is Wonder Woman, a Batman solo flick, a Green Lantern sequel (not reboot), or whatever... they need to create a sense of stability for the fans, and right now, the only guarantee that we have is that Superman Vs Batman will come out. After that, it's all up in the air, and that means there is no guarantee that they won't just reboot these properties instead of continuing on.

I just came in to post that!

It looks so fucking good.

The First Avenger was everything that I wanted from a World War II period piece starring Captain America. It was brilliant.

The Winter Soldier is exactly the kind of movie that a Cap film needs to be if it's set present day though. I am so amazed at how well it looks like it's turned out. It would have been so easy for them to try and maintain the same kind of film as the first with a sequel, and it probably would have been good... but they took a risk, are releasing a VERY different movie, and it looks like it's going to blow me away.

I am beyond jacked for this movie.

It looks okay. The thing that really hurts this new Spider-Man franchise is that the competition is fucking fierce and it's not doing anything to really set itself apart. Marvel has the shared universe, DC has the darker tone, X-Men has the time travel stuff with the old cast, even Fantastic Four has the benefit of being exciting because we haven't had a good FF film yet.

I love Garfield as Spider-Man and there's some cool stuff in there, but overall, I'm pretty in the middle on it. I'm sure it'll fun a film, but I doubt it'll really be as good as any of the other comic book films out this year. It doesn't help that outside of Rhino, I'm not all that interested in seeing any of these villains on the big screen. (Well, Green Goblin, but everything I've seen points to Harry being Hobgoblin in big brothers clothes.)

And no, before anyone says it, Mysterio has no place as a serious villain in a Spider-Man film. Because he's stupid.

Quick poll question, which (preferably more modern) interpretations of each hero would you recommend getting? Want to expand the very small collection I have at the moment.

Currently have:

Ironman (haven't seen the two sequels)

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

X-Men: First Class (seen the original trilogy they did, but don't own it)

The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Rises (lost my copy of Batman Begins)

Have seen a fair few others, but there'll no doubt be a few I haven't seen and I'm by no means an expert on comic heroes. Mostly watch Marvel, it just appeals to me more than DC for some reason.

Are you talking about DVDs? If you did, then I'd recommend the Dark Knight trilogy boxset. It's really pretty, and has a lot of stuff to view on it.

I'm also assuming there's a Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase 1 DVD collection. That would probably be amazing.

Yeah, the DVDs, should have been clearer.

I would get the Nolan Trilogy box set if I didn't have the second two films already. Will just browse around for Batman Begins.

A box set for Marvel Phase One would be great if I can find it.

As for Spider-Man, since it's had the most recent reboot to my knowledge: Maguire or Garfield? I really dislike Maguire but his trilogy has had the better story so far in my opinion.

Have you not seen The Avengers or any of the rest of Phase 1 Marvel? Man. Get on that shit now!

Viewing order from Iron Man onwards: Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America, The Avengers. Hulk and Iron Man 2 are weak in parts, but Thor onwards the films just get better and better. After that, you can check out Iron Man 3 (awesome) and Thor: The Dark World (not bad).

Garfield is a far better Spider-Man, but Amazing kind of suffered from a fairly boring villain. So far I'd still take Garfield over any Spidey film that doesn't feature Doc Ock, though.

Man of Steel is pretty good too. Pretty divisive, though. For the most part it's a love it or hate it situation. There's also The Wolverine, which is okay. How much you enjoy it will probably depend on how much you like Wolverine, but outside of a disappointing final villain/fight, it's fun enough.

I'm the only one harping it, but if you don't mind animated comic book films, check out the DC Animated Universe films. There are a lot of great ones, like Batman: Under The Red Hood, Justice League: Flashpoint Paradox, Superman: Unbound, Justice League: The New Frontier or the one that just came out, Justice League: War. I personally freaking love them.