EWB's Top 100 Artists of 2012

gunnar hendershow

NIN, The White Stripes, RATM, and The Beastie Boys - All bands I only know a few songs of that I think are average at best. The Beastie Boys probably scrape slightly above due to their videos.

Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun is the only song I know and damn is it creepy.

The Lucksmiths - Never heard of.

Jack White - See The White Stripes.

Childish Gambino - I recognise the face, and I know someone who likes him but I have absolutely no idea who this is.

Paramore - A lot of their songs sound very similar, and not in a good way. I do however have two albums.

Bruce Springsteen - I really like the few songs I actually know.

Ben Folds Five - I heard the song which was used in that film where Bruce Willis plays a raccoon, which was pretty good.

Blur - Song 2 and Park Life are the only songs I know. They're quite good though.

Devin Townsend - This name means nothing to me.

Dan Le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip - This name means even less.

David Bowie - A wonderful character but I only know a handful of songs and it really depends what mood I'm in if I actually like them.

The joy of seeing Paramore make it that high and so many bursting into a rage about it :w00t:

Next year we get them to number one!

Aww, JohnnyPerfect working on "let's get this thing we like to #1, then everyone will be happy or really angry!" logic. I missed you and your love of really uninteresting ideas.

• Like 4

The joy of seeing Paramore make it that high and so many bursting into a rage about it :w00t:

Next year we get them to number one!

Aww, JohnnyPerfect working on "let's get this thing we like to #1, then everyone will be happy or really angry!" logic. I missed you and your love of really uninteresting ideas.

:(

I honestly have no idea how anyone on EWB could not of heard of dan le Sac vs Scroobius Pip, Keith mentions them on average twice in every post.

More like Para-cles.

...as in the Athenian orator of the Peloponnesian Wars.

And, see, ancient Greeks had a reputation for buggering little boys.

What I'm getting at here is that Paramore are pedophiles.

I think.

I don't know, I'm tired.

• Like 3

Things I've learned from this thread:

-Papa Roach is still a thing

-Skummy has never actually heard a power metal song (or, at the very least, not an Iced Earth song) and is probably basing his view the entire genre on Dragonforce, which is like basing country music on "My Sharona". And yes, I know My Sharona isn't country, that's the point.

-People make more of a fuss about Paramore than Smashing Pumpkins being inexplicably ranked under Pearl Jam, because singers that look like 16 year old girls with boob jobs.

-Rage Against The Machine are ranked over The White Stripes and Radiohead and that's awesome. Killing In The Name feels to me like it's 20 minutes longer than it really is, but just about everything else Rage does is great.

Doesn't like Skummy not liking what he likes,

No, I don't like Skummy saying Iced Earth bases all their songs on Tolkein, when they are influenced by Tolkein about as much as the guy who wrote Beowulf was.

They released all their albums before Tolkien wrote his books?

Not the point.... the point is there is no Tolkien influence in any for their songs. Nor is everything about dragons/eves/etc (which iced Earth doesn't even sing about) is inspired by Lord of the Rings. Saying "Lol, power metal is all Tolkein ripoff" is just pure snobbery and is no different from assuming that every rap song is about large buttocks.

Things I've learned from this thread:

-Papa Roach is still a thing

-Skummy has never actually heard a power metal song (or, at the very least, not an Iced Earth song) and is probably basing his view the entire genre on Dragonforce, which is like basing country music on "My Sharona". And yes, I know My Sharona isn't country, that's the point.

-People make more of a fuss about Paramore than Smashing Pumpkins being inexplicably ranked under Pearl Jam, because singers that look like 16 year old girls with boob jobs.

-Rage Against The Machine are ranked over The White Stripes and Radiohead and that's awesome. Killing In The Name feels to me like it's 20 minutes longer than it really is, but just about everything else Rage does is great.

Iced Earth is probably a worse name than End Of Heartache. Not as bad as Dragonforce, though.

That is a class group.

Fall Out Boy are awesome and they were my band back in high school, I would listen to their stuff all day long. "I Slept With Someone In Fall Out Boy And All I Got Is Was This Stupid Song" is an amazing title, still.

Kanye is fucking excellent, my favorite rapper.

I've heard like two songs from Queens Of The Stone Age, and I liked them.

Green Day have some really good stuff (Bullet In A Bible is still one of my favorite albums of all time).

Tom Waits is the bestest.

Iced Earth is probably a worse name than End Of Heartache. Not as bad as Dragonforce, though.

Dragonforce is actually the perfect name for them because they are what you would assume what a band that would name themselves Dragonforce would sound like: a cheesy stereotypical speed metal band that puts zero thought in their lyrics. They make absolutely no pretense that they're anything but a glorified backup group for their lead guitarist (who is genuinely talented as fuck).

Edited by OctoberRavenO

You mean ZP? I loved ZP. I'm actually a huge DragonForce fan. They're like the only metal band of any kind I've listened to and liked. I don't know why, but it was probably due to that stage where I thought shredding a guitar was the coolest.

Haven't heard anything with the new guy, though.