The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

17 minutes ago, KAMALLARAMBO said:

I loved it so much.

Reveal hidden contents

BUT IT RIPPED MY HEART INTO PIECES. WHY HAN WHY? Kylo Ren just became the most hated villain in the galaxy.

Relax, man. Because....

Spoiler

Maybe JarJar will show up in the next movie, only to be instantly decapitated by lightsaber. Leading to Kylo's instant face turn.

50 minutes ago, KAMALLARAMBO said:

I loved it so much.

Reveal hidden contents

BUT IT RIPPED MY HEART INTO PIECES. WHY HAN WHY? Kylo Ren just became the most hated villain in the galaxy.

The worst part was it was so obvious that it was coming...

Spoiler

As soon he and Chewie split up, I told my wife that he was a goner. This isn't a knock on the film, but it's as if this was JJ's fan fic and he just replaced the characters from Episode IV with the people from Episode VII and kept the same plot points. It was basically Luke watching Obi-Wan getting struck down by Vader on the Death Star.

• Like 1

Great casting, great pacing. I think there are tons of kids out there who saw this movie and fell in love the way we all did when we first saw A New Hope.

I knew Han was gone, before even seeing the movie I knew it. The way he was acting in press appearances, the fact there was no information on him doing Episode VIII. Then from almost his first line of dialogue there were death flags everywhere. I was surprised that Kylo Ren was his son, and they deliberately tried to make us think at first that Rey was Han and Leia's daughter to throw us off the scent. Of course now it's looking likely she is Luke's daughter.

I am curious what led that man at the start to have the missing map piece, he said something about family to Kylo Ren if I recall.

And on the topic of Kylo Ren I was very skeptical about him as a villain at first, but they built him up very well. He seemed like a forced bad guy at first but it made so much sense because he's forcing himself to be a bad guy. Adam Driver is great for that role.

And finally. Andy Serkis playing the big bad! Love it!

• Like 1

On 16/12/2015 at 13:07, Benji said:

Does anyone know anywhere I can legally watch it online? I hate movie theaters but am more than happy to pay.

Why do you hate them? I couldn't think of seeing Star Wars first time anywhere other than on the big screen. I saw it last night and it felt like being that kid who went to the re releases in 97 and being swept away by cinema and falling in love with it all over again.

1 minute ago, FrostyPickle_3:16 said:

Why do you hate them? I couldn't think of seeing Star Wars first time anywhere other than on the big screen. I saw it last night and it felt like being that kid who went to the re releases in 97 and being swept away by cinema and falling in love with it all over again.

Small children, smelly nerds, large crowds smushed into uncomfortable seats, sticky floors, air conditioning that never works or is too hot/cold, and paying an absurd amount for the "pleasure". My idea of hell. I'd much rather watch it in the comfort of my own home.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Benji said:

Small children, smelly nerds, large crowds smushed into uncomfortable seats, sticky floors, air conditioning that never works or is too hot/cold, and paying an absurd amount for the "pleasure". My idea of hell. I'd much rather watch it in the comfort of my own home.

This could be used to describe any wrestling event as well. I tend to be lucky at the cinema though, plus I went to a late night showing.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Well...

I liked Rey, Finn and Dameron Poe, all good characters and nice to see other parts of the Star Wars universe.

Also Kylo Ren made a great villain. People will say he's just a pastiche of Vader...but I think he came across as even more powerful than Vader somehow, and there was the idea he wasn't as controllable as Vader.

There was some good humour in the script, some notes to lighten the mood.

As for Han dying; it's something Ford had pushed for for since before RotJ, if I recall the story is he was pushing Lucas to have Han killed to give the third film some 'emotional wallop' but Lucas vetoed it as RotJ was supposed to be the happy-ending for the trilogy.

For the story and for the character it makes sense. Ren can stop blaster bolts with a gesture so Han must know he doesn't have a chance in single combat. This was him trying to reach his son. A last gamble from an experienced gambler.

My problem with it is that it pretty-much makes Ren irredeemable in most fan's eyes. We're not Jedi, we don't care if there's 'still good in him', he killed Han dammit and we want to see him pay!

I suppose Rey will want to train with Luke now to get revenge on Ren, and Luke's going to have to deal with that.

Has robbed of us seeing Luke and Han on-screen again though. And a far more interesting story would have been LUKE feeling that Ren needed to be killed (after having turned/killed the Jedi-in-training I assume) and HAN arguing that he could be redeemed and the resultant conflict and tug-of-war over Rey.

Major gripes; ANOTHER super-weapon. An UBER-DEATH-STAR??? Really? With a thermal-exhaust-port as big as a city...

No Luke? No lines for Luke??? Robbed! Was wondering when he would feature, and knew we would be cheated of anything significant once it was left till the very end of the movie. No answers to where he's been aside from 'away growing his beard' >:(

The fact that some of the story-beats (super-weapon, death of a major character, Rey witnessing it just like Luke saw Obi-wan's death at Vader's hand) were so reminiscent of Star Wars. I came to watch the continuing adventures damn it, not the 'Superman Returns' version.

Overall I liked the film, but a few of the directors choices spoilt the experience for me. Though I suppose we've all had high expectations since this thread was started!

This movie was everything it needed to be, for me. It felt like Episode IV in some places, which was nice and familiar without being too overbearing, but at the same time a new, modern film. Went with a friend, he said that it felt like a new beginning, which is precisely what this movie should be. Only two gripes:

1. The whole "blow up the Republic" part was a bit off for me, because there was no indication that there's a Republic to destroy, and there's not much said about it since. No idea what's going on there, hopefully it's expanded on a bit in VIII.

2. R2 waking up at the end felt like a big deus ex machina, and I'm hoping that's explained a bit more in VIII as well. Was R2 spending his time searching for Luke? Did Luke send him a signal or something?

Overall, though, fantastic film. Loved it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, marksbros6 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Well...

I liked Rey, Finn and Dameron Poe, all good characters and nice to see other parts of the Star Wars universe.

Also Kylo Ren made a great villain. People will say he's just a pastiche of Vader...but I think he came across as even more powerful than Vader somehow, and there was the idea he wasn't as controllable as Vader.

There was some good humour in the script, some notes to lighten the mood.

As for Han dying; it's something Ford had pushed for for since before RotJ, if I recall the story is he was pushing Lucas to have Han killed to give the third film some 'emotional wallop' but Lucas vetoed it as RotJ was supposed to be the happy-ending for the trilogy.

For the story and for the character it makes sense. Ren can stop blaster bolts with a gesture so Han must know he doesn't have a chance in single combat. This was him trying to reach his son. A last gamble from an experienced gambler.

My problem with it is that it pretty-much makes Ren irredeemable in most fan's eyes. We're not Jedi, we don't care if there's 'still good in him', he killed Han dammit and we want to see him pay!

I suppose Rey will want to train with Luke now to get revenge on Ren, and Luke's going to have to deal with that.

Has robbed of us seeing Luke and Han on-screen again though. And a far more interesting story would have been LUKE feeling that Ren needed to be killed (after having turned/killed the Jedi-in-training I assume) and HAN arguing that he could be redeemed and the resultant conflict and tug-of-war over Rey.

Major gripes; ANOTHER super-weapon. An UBER-DEATH-STAR??? Really? With a thermal-exhaust-port as big as a city...

No Luke? No lines for Luke??? Robbed! Was wondering when he would feature, and knew we would be cheated of anything significant once it was left till the very end of the movie. No answers to where he's been aside from 'away growing his beard' >:(

The fact that some of the story-beats (super-weapon, death of a major character, Rey witnessing it just like Luke saw Obi-wan's death at Vader's hand) were so reminiscent of Star Wars. I came to watch the continuing adventures damn it, not the 'Superman Returns' version.

Overall I liked the film, but a few of the directors choices spoilt the experience for me. Though I suppose we've all had high expectations since this thread was started!

Spoiler

I don't really think you can say this movie robbed you of anything, considering its the first film in an announced, confirmed, definitely going to happen trilogy.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Maxx said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I don't really think you can say this movie robbed you of anything, considering its the first film in an announced, confirmed, definitely going to happen trilogy.  

Spoiler

It's just that after all the fan-service in the film I'm justifiably disappointed that we only get a moody stare out of Luke Skywalker then 'Dee-Dee-Dee-deeeeeeee...' *credits*

I'm happy we have Star Wars again don't get me wrong, just feel the film missed a few beats for me.

For instance, if the REPUBLIC has been restored, with the FIRST ORDER opposing it, where does the RESISTANCE come into it??? Seems like it was shoe-horned in purely to ape the dynamic in the original trilogy with the plucky band of rebels facing the mighty Empire.

But those rebels re-established the Republic (according to the opening crawl) so why is there an organized Resistance when the Republic should be opposing the might of the Empire/First Order? Does the Resistance answer to the Republic? Is there some reason the Republic can't be shown to oppose the First Order? By not explaining it just looks like lazy script-writing with the Rebels becoming the Resistance and the Empire crossed-out and the First Order scribbled-in. 'Look everyone, completely different! Not just copying from the original 3 movies at all' *god I hope they don't notice that our BRAND NEW SUPERWEAPON is basically just a MEGA-DEATH-STAR...*

Liked the film, but some of the story-choices just felt too derivative.

I'm not a fan of the Star Wars EU novels beyond the first 'sequel' trilogy written by Timothy Zahn. Mainly because he captured the feel of the original films (first scene of every book is on/near a Star Destroyer for instance) but without copying them. They re-vitalised Star Wars as a commodity back in the day. I'm sure if the first book had centred around a planet-destroying SUPERWEAPON people would have just yawned. When Kevin J Anderson basically did that in the next series of Star Wars novels that was precisely my reaction.

3 hours ago, marksbros6 said:
  Hide contents

It's just that after all the fan-service in the film I'm justifiably disappointed that we only get a moody stare out of Luke Skywalker then 'Dee-Dee-Dee-deeeeeeee...' *credits*

I'm happy we have Star Wars again don't get me wrong, just feel the film missed a few beats for me.

For instance, if the REPUBLIC has been restored, with the FIRST ORDER opposing it, where does the RESISTANCE come into it??? Seems like it was shoe-horned in purely to ape the dynamic in the original trilogy with the plucky band of rebels facing the mighty Empire.

But those rebels re-established the Republic (according to the opening crawl) so why is there an organized Resistance when the Republic should be opposing the might of the Empire/First Order? Does the Resistance answer to the Republic? Is there some reason the Republic can't be shown to oppose the First Order? By not explaining it just looks like lazy script-writing with the Rebels becoming the Resistance and the Empire crossed-out and the First Order scribbled-in. 'Look everyone, completely different! Not just copying from the original 3 movies at all' *god I hope they don't notice that our BRAND NEW SUPERWEAPON is basically just a MEGA-DEATH-STAR...*

Liked the film, but some of the story-choices just felt too derivative.

I'm not a fan of the Star Wars EU novels beyond the first 'sequel' trilogy written by Timothy Zahn. Mainly because he captured the feel of the original films (first scene of every book is on/near a Star Destroyer for instance) but without copying them. They re-vitalised Star Wars as a commodity back in the day. I'm sure if the first book had centred around a planet-destroying SUPERWEAPON people would have just yawned. When Kevin J Anderson basically did that in the next series of Star Wars novels that was precisely my reaction.

Spoiler

The New Republic is funding and using the Resistance as a military force, it is mentioned, but passed over very quickly

Spoiler

First of all, I haven't seen the movie. But I don't care about spoilers because some shitheads in an MMO I play decided to talk about the movie in local, not caring if others hadn't seen it. 

I hope the plan isn't to redeem Kylo/Ben. Because sorry, you killed Han Solo, who happened to be your own father. He deserves nothing less than a lightsaber enema. There is absolutely not a damn thing he can do to make anyone sympathize with him and accept him as a good guy. Chewbacca will want to rip his arms off and beat him to death with them.....

And having Luke not show up until the very end, and not even get to utter a word is pretty shitty.