The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

5 hours ago, Arjen Robben said:

Just been to see it, I really enjoyed it. It felt much more in line with the original films in terms of tone and look and yeah, I thought it was just really well done.

Hidden Content

But I mean really, it's one in the same seeing as how the planet itself IS the weapon now and it literally kills a star to collect the energy needed to fire.

On the topic of Kylo Ren - I was only really bothered by a single thing- how much the helmet was off after he initially revealed his face. Which was alright, I could've saved that until the second movie.. but at some point it very much started to be "yes, I get it.. he looks like Anakin". I think specifically it needed to be on for the final fight to drive home the fact that he wasn't Ben anymore or was at least trying to tell himself that.

Other than that I think the divide inside him and his lack of control with the lightsaber temper tantrums made for some good characterization.

Snokes... I am really not impressed with either as a big bad, but I guess he kind of DID have to come out of no where.

Saw it, loved it. Only a few major complaints:

Spoiler

Wow did Captain Phasma ever just roll over on lowering the shields. Like she didn't even put up a fight. That whole bit seemed ridiculous to me. They did a terrible job in that scene and it was the one thing that made me think 'the fuck was that?'.

I also found some of the comedy bits and dialogue to be a bit too overplayed and cheesy. Nothing I can't deal with. But then when Kylo Ren pulls his mask off and starts talking, I just see Adam from Girls. Adam Driver's voice is so distinctive that it's hard to get past.

At the same time, I agree with @damshow that he's supposed to be a kid trying to be evil, and not quite the big bad.

Found out there's a big ol' 120 foot wide screen in an IMAX dome in Fort Worth, so I'll be watching it a second time there.

Edited by Maxx

Just saw it. Loved it. It was almost perfect, I think...probably my favorite movie of the year. Some random thoughts:

-Phasma needed a much bigger role. I hope she isn't done with

-I like how there is much more diversity in the cast. And female stormtroopers!

-Kylo Ren was so awesome. At first I thought he was going to be a generic Vader rip off, but he became so much more. He felt like an actual human. @damshow was right, he seemed to try and force himself to be evil, follow his grandfather's footsteps. Although I was kinda 'ehhh' on him losing to Rey in the lightsaber fight....but I suppose he WAS shot.

-Rey is just so amazing on so many levels. And Finn as well! They are a great duo.

-Luke looking like Obi-Wan? Perfect.

I like that they made a point of showing that he was obviously still in pain from being shot even during the fight with Rey when he was banging at his side a few times where he was shot.

Also really liked that his voice when masked and unmasked was still very clearly the same voice. Like the mask added more of a sinister, strange mystique to it with the effect it put on it, but then when he took it off it was still very clearly his voice. I feel like too many films/shows/games have villains that wear masks that give them a sinister, threatening voice but then when they take it off they just sound like some pathetic sneering teenager and it kills it.

Spoiler

Saw this yesterday, absolutely loved it. Also I love that none of the villains died so that we get the introduction to them here and then they carry on over to the future films. That was (one of the many!) big problems with the prequels in that you had Darth Maul who looked cool but then gets killed off. Phasma, Ren, Hux and Snoke carrying over and staying a threat is great for the series.

All of the new characters were great, I love Rey and Finn and Poe was great too, although he could've done with a bit more screen time, although that is what the sequels are for.

Did anyone else have the fear that Snoke was Luke? When he told Hux to get Ren and come to him, and then Rey sets out to find Luke there was a part of me worried she would walk up the cliff and see Luke...then Ren and Hux by his side.

I kinda feel Rey has to be Luke's daughter, the X-Wing fighter pilot helmet and the doll she has, all a couple of little signs. I mean, if nothing else she has to be related to someone of importance. 

I'm torn on Rey's relation still as well. I feel like the hints thrown out to Luke are a misdirect in some way - and that Ren and Rey are siblings, possibly even twins with Rey being dropped off on some backwater planet as a precaution when something sinister was sensed inside Ren. Which all in all is a terrifying thing to do to a child and even though it happened to Luke and Leia with Luke seemingly getting the short end of the stick, he was at least left with family.

I also fucking love finding out why Ren has the lightsaber with the cross guards that he does. I knew from the start there would be an awesome reason.

2 hours ago, TMM said:
  Hide contents

What was the reason? I liked the "use to stab in shoulders" bit but did I miss the actual explanation? 

Spoiler

Basically it's a very old design. If you look at his saber - the beam isn't quite as focused as say, Anakin/Luke's and that's because Kylo Ren isn't real Sith and he never built a properly stabilized lightsaber... hence the need to vent the extra energy from the already unstable blade. It's part of the reason, one can assume, why he wanted Anakin/Luke's sober so badly.

kyloren-lightsaber-prop-plaque.jpg

• Like 2

This movie was pretty pretty good, and most importantly leaves me way excited for VIII because a) Rian Johnson, b) more of this new cast who I love the shit out of, and c) SO MANY QUESTIONS

Spoiler

I for sure am all in on finding out more about Rey. She gains powers at a more rapid/proficient level than Luke, which is interesting and brings up a bunch of questions. Curious to see where her accent came from, because from the flashback it's not like it was an acquired thing on Jakku, and usually British accents are associated with Imperials. It's why I can't buy her being Kylo/Ben's sister; where would she have picked the accent up if her mother, father, and brother all have American (i.e. Republic) accents?

Also she's great. Bratty like Luke without being whiny like Luke.

Like a lot of people my biggest complaint was very little Phasma, but I know Gwendoline Christie said in some press thing or other that Phasma's role was meant to expand in the sequels so I will be patient. She's obviously not dead, because they left her fate open-ended.

• Like 1

Thinking about Phasma, does anyone else think it might have been better if they swapped out that random stormtrooper Finn fought about halfway through with Phasma? Like give more of a tease toward something to come and her being powerful and whatnot, just switch out the end of that fight with a distraction that lets Finn get away or something rather than just killed like the stormtrooper. Maybe a run-in from Kane. Dunno.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GoGo YubaRey said:

Hide contents

She gains powers at a more rapid/proficient level than Luke,

Spoiler

I think she just is forced to use them more than he was. Luke blew up the deathstar after one session with Ben, he rushed away from Yoda after floating some stuff and when he returns yoda dies right away telling him he has to face vader if he wants to become a jedi (or something like that)

She also dos not need Lightsaber Training since she already was used to fighting with her staff.

What i would wonder would be how she knew to mindtrick the stormtrooper as this was a ObiWan move from "a new hope". Maybe there is a voice in her head we dident get to hear, maybe they just put it in the movie as a callback.

Edited by Herr Matzat
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Herr Matzat said:

Hide contents

I think she just is forced to use them more than he was. Luke blew up the deathstar after one session with Ben, he rushed away from Yoda after floating some stuff and when he returns yoda dies right away telling him he has to face vader if he wants to become a jedi (or something like that)

She also dos not need Lightsaber Training since she already was used to fighting with her staff.

What i would wonder would be how she knew to mindtrick the stormtrooper as this was a ObiWan move from "a new hope". Maybe there is a voice in her head we dident get to hear, maybe they just put it in the movie as a callback.

Spoiler

Yeah, the use of Force Persuasion was really the main thing I was thinking of. That's a super-specific thing to know how to do.

Otherwise, I'd pretty much agree. Luke wasn't a skilled combatant before he started really using the Force, so Rey had a major leg up there.

My guess regarding Rey:

Spoiler

She is the one in the prophecy about bringing balance to The Force. It's obviously not Vader, and Luke clearly failed to bring back the Jedi, but Rey is clearly special enough to be called upon by Obi-Wan and Yoda. I don't buy the talk that she's Luke's daughter, as I think that's a diversion and there'd be a smidge too much "I am your father!"-ness going on; there's definitely some mystery they're hiding, but I hope there's a little more to it than that. They played that card with Kylo Ren. 

• Like 2

With Rey knowing Force Persuasion there's that talk on the Falcon where Han tells them everything about the Force is true. So leads me to think that's what got her to think "maybe I should try this." Or maybe when she fought back from Ren going into her mind she realized that power. It definitely needs explaining, because it is a specific power.

Today I've gone off the "she's Luke's daughter" line of thinking because they clearly want us to think that. Or at least think she's of Skywalker blood. And I think the Skywalker family are not the ones to bring balance to the Force, and instead it's someone else.

Huge mystery we need answered, how the hell was Luke's lightsaber at Maz Kanata's!