The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

4 hours ago, Cloudy said:

I saw this movie. I liked this movie. I may or may not have choked up at some points while watching this movie, because oh my god this movie

I haven't read any spoilers in here so it's probably already been discussed, but (SPOILERS FOR THE FORCE AWAKENS OBVS)

Hide contents

Rey has to be related to Luke or someone important, right? I'm thinking she's either Luke's daughter, or she might be Kylo Ren's sister. There's no way she's as strong as Kylo, a guy with Jedi training, and just a random nobody. 

Had a lot of moments during the film where I got choked up because of callbacks to the originals, which were some of my favorite movies as a kid. When Han and Chewie first showed up I nearly cried. 

Loved the parallel between Han and Kylo and Luke and Vader.

I'm probably going to go see this in theaters again. And again. Maybe even again.

Spoiler

Abrams said before the movie was released that Rey's surname wouldn't be revealed, and it's for a reason. Naturally he didn't elaborate on the reason, but based on several things in the movie - her untrained power, the looks Han gave her, the entire Force vision sequence - she's got to be related to someone important. And I've seen quite a few theories about this, from the probably-too-obvious daughter of Luke Skywalker to the very-much-outside possibility of her being related to Count Dooku of all people.

Personally I'd rather the movies just tell me; I'd rather not get caught up in theories at this stage.

Edited by DoubleX
  • Like 1

Spoiler

I loved everything "new" about the movie. Fin, Rey and Kylo were amazing characters and had great performances. 12 year old me would love Fin and Rey. Poe probably will get flushed out more in the next few movies, but he was done well. I'm intrigued about Maz and where they head with her. BB is cute. Snoke seems super evil and I already hate him. 

I actually really didn't like much of the integration of the old Star Wars into the movie. If anything, I thought it detracted from the movie. Some of the dialogue for Han was terrible. Leia was performance was terrible and Han and her had zero chemistry. Chewie was okay. C-3PO was annoying. R2 turning on was eye roll worthy. This is coming from someone who adores the original 3 movies and never watched the prequels. I just thought the JJ and the script writers handled the stuff they crafted well, but missed the boat on the older characters. 

I thought there were a few problems with the movie, but it was a really fun movie. I'm excited for the next one.

Spoiler

The Leia/Han stuff didn't work for me because they missed that the key appeal of their relationship was the combative nature of it, and there wasn't nearly enough of that. When Leia showed up I was fully expecting Han to get a ton of shit for having clearly bailed out on everything to go play smuggler again but instead it was all subsumed by Kylo angst. 

I am definitely in the camp where the stuff with Han and Leia was my least favorite. It was nice to see Han back, but we didn't really need a super long scene to get them on the Millennium Falcon with no other ship to use. And yeah there wasn't a ton of chemistry between Han and Leia, just this depressing defeatism. I guess given everything that's happened it's the only thing that makes sense. Leia isn't angry at him anymore, just disappointed. Han, meanwhile, is disappointed in himself for never being the father and husband he could have been. It just didn't play out well because of how fantastic their relationship was in the original movies. Carrie Fisher didn't bring a strong performance either.

The bit with R2D2 turning on is a little annoying since there is a very simple explanation. Kylo told Rey the rest of the maps were in the imperial archives. R2D2 is in low-power mode but can hear what's going on since he's not turned off. Easy to put in 5 seconds of dialogue of Rey mentioning the archives and boom he wakes up. Just one of those things where I think there was too much of a desire for a sudden, dramatic scene. With this I'll give it the tentative okay as long as they throw in a line of dialogue explaining it in the next movie.

• Like 1

If you're going to watch the prequels, it probably wouldn't do you any good to skip one. So long as your expectations are at the right level, it'll be fine.

Equally, ignoring all three wouldn't do you any harm either. :shifty: 

I was thinking of that too. I've never watched the prequels or seen any clips from it until last month when I googled Jar Jar Binks, so I would really be going in blind to the prequels. 

I found it funny watching the Jar Jar stuff last month because I had heard how terrible he was and heard the impressions. Somehow, 15 years of hearing how bad Jar Jar was didn't prepare me for how terrible he was. How did someone let that happen? I can't even fathom how anyone thought it was a good idea. 

The only thing worse than Jar Jar is George Lucas apparently thinking that his chief mistake in Episode 1 was that Watto wasn't enough of a sleazy, covetous slave-holding space Jew.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RPS said:

@GoGo YubaRey

I am going to watch the older movies with the hubby. I have never actually seen the prequels. Are they worth even watching? Should I skip ep 1?

I've never finished the prequels so I'm not really of much use. I watched Phantom Menace in theaters, Attack of the Clones on DVD in like 2006, and the Revenge of the Sith never. At some point I'm gonna have to get around to doing that for completion's sake.

I thought I had already seen all of the changes Lucas made to the original trilogy...so was surprised, when idly watching the end of Return of the Jedi on Sky Movies, to hear Vader's dubbed "NOOOOOOO" when he throws the Emperor to his doom. Apparently this is because I never got the Blu-rays, so lucky me.

Not the most offensive 'tweak' to the original trilogy by a long shot, but since it was unexpected I kind of feel the latent resentment for all the other nonsense bubbling up all the same. <_< 

6 hours ago, Kaney said:

I've heard the Machete order is the best way to integrate the prequels and that cuts out episode one but I haven't tried it myself.

Machete order?

Episodes IV - V - II - III - VI. Supposed to be a more natural progression that gives breathing space between the "I am your father" and the conclusion by showing how Vader went bad without having all that unnecessary pod racing shit and Jake Lloyd stuff.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GoGo YubaRey said:

I've never finished the prequels so I'm not really of much use. I watched Phantom Menace in theaters, Attack of the Clones on DVD in like 2006, and the Revenge of the Sith never. At some point I'm gonna have to get around to doing that for completion's sake.

Revenge isn't that bad to be honest, Menace and Clones are rubbish though.

Got my friend to watch the OT and we're going to see this Sunday (my second time).

Spoiler

His main takeaway was how awesome Han Solo is. He's going to be so disappointed. :( 

II is worse than I imo. Yes, I is bad, but it at least has decent action sequences, Qui-Gon and Darth Maul. II is total a CGI borefest.