ITT We Share Christmas Music

Josh

Share your favorite Christmas classics, rarities, and general musical holiday whatnot!

I have a stupidly huge Christmas playlist on Spotify, and while compiling it last year I found a bunch of stuff I've come to love.

A couple of examples to get us started:

Maybe I'm getting old, but nowadays I actually enjoy carols the most. Next up is Ventures Christmas album. I like most really, apart from the overplayed (Fairytale Of New York, Slade, Shakin Stevens) and the ironic "we hate Christmas really" stuff.

I like the Ventures Christmas album. It's lovely. I like schmaltzy jazz at Christmas, George Shearing and Kenny Burrell and stuff.

A Charlie Brown christmas! Phil Spector. Lots of good stuff abounds, the Stevie Wonder song.

But Classic fm most of all.

Maybe I'm getting old, but nowadays I actually enjoy carols the most. Next up is Ventures Christmas album. I like most really, apart from the overplayed (Fairytale Of New York, Slade, Shakin Stevens) and the ironic "we hate Christmas really" stuff.

I like the Ventures Christmas album. It's lovely. I like schmaltzy jazz at Christmas, George Shearing and Kenny Burrell and stuff.

A Charlie Brown christmas! Phil Spector. Lots of good stuff abounds, the Stevie Wonder song.

But Classic fm most of all.

Cool man, never have heard the Ventures Christmas album, how is it? Do they do surf covers of Christmas tunes?

"Father Christmas" by The Kinks is one of the best, good shout.

Seriously, though, I could fire off Christmas music all year. It's one of my absolute passions, and almost like the unadulterated heart of pop music; this mixture of ephemeral joy and deeper despair or longing at the heart of it all. The greatest Christmas music - as with the greatest pop music - is about the longing hiding behind the joy.

Here's a relatively little known cover of one of, if not the best Christmas song of all time, and one of my all time favourites;

Predictably, I love GoGo's picks. Just as predictably, they can be tough to find on Spotify (the Yoko one isn't there at all.)

Speaking of Beatles-related Christmas music, I only heard this for the first time just yesterday:

The '68 one is great as well, but I think I like this one best.

Seriously, though, I could fire off Christmas music all year. It's one of my absolute passions, and almost like the unadulterated heart of pop music; this mixture of ephemeral joy and deeper despair or longing at the heart of it all. The greatest Christmas music - as with the greatest pop music - is about the longing hiding behind the joy.

Here's a relatively little known cover of one of, if not the best Christmas song of all time, and one of my all time favourites;

Looooove that track. Apparently, he was rather obsessed with bubblegum pop, specifically the girl group stuff that Phil Spector produced. It yielded pretty damn good results, clearly.

Mick, I can't find that AC/DC track on Spotify, but that Pesci track is totally on my playlist now.

Maxx, Dominick the Donkey goes in too.

I can't unhear the date rape theme of Baby It's Cold Outside, now that it's been brought back to mind. Even the James Taylor/Natalie Cole version weirds me out now. Maybe especially that one, since it's hardest to imagine those two in such a scenario.

Speaking of Taylor, here's a favorite of mine from the Sincere Christmas Music category:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxdBtihYVSY