2013 Major League Soccer Thread (aka The Ancient Mystical Society of No Timbers)

GoGo Yubari

Two goals and two assists in one week and there's still 45 minutes left to play. Mauro Rosales is back.

EDIT: Boom. 4-0. Seattle Sounders have come alive.

We need to find a way to convince Ricardo Salazar to officiate NASL matches instead of MLS.

He'd actually be an improvement for NASL.

US OPEN CUP FIRST ROUND TODAY:

• GPS Portland Phoenix (PDL) vs. Mass Premier Soccer (USASA), 8 pm ET
  • Brooklyn Italians (NPSL) vs. Icon FC (USASA), 8 pm ET
  • Ocean City Nor'easters (PDL) vs. New York Red Bulls U-23s (NPSL), 7:30 pm ET
  • Reading United AC (PDL) vs. FC Lehigh Valley United Sonic (NPSL), 7 pm ET
  • Red Force (USASA) vs. Ocala Stampede (PDL), 7:30 pm ET
  • Orlando City U-23s (PDL) vs. VSI Tampa Bay FC (USL), 7 pm ET
  • Carolina Dynamo (PDL) vs. Chattanooga FC (NPSL), 7 pm ET
  • Michigan Bucks (PDL) vs. Dearborn Stars (USASA), 7:30 pm ET
  • Pittsburgh Riverhounds (USL) vs. RWB Adria (USASA), 7 pm ET
  • Dayton Dutch Lions (USL) vs. River City Rovers (PDL), 7 pm ET
  • Austin Aztex (PDL) vs. NTX Rayados (USASA), 8:30 pm ET
  • PFC Tucson (PDL) vs. Phoenix FC (USL), 10 :30 pm ET
  • Portland Timbers U-23s (PDL) vs. Sacramento Gold (NPSL), 10:30 pm ET
  • Seattle Sounders U-23s (PDL) vs. Doxa Italia (USASA), 10 pm ET
  • Laredo Heat SC (PDL) vs. PSA Elite (USASA), 10:15 pm ET
  • Georgia Revolution (NPSL) vs. Real Colorado Foxes (PDL)
  • Ventura County Fusion (PDL) vs. FC Hasental (NPSAL)
  • Des Moines Menace (PDL) vs. Madison 56ers (NPSL), 8:30 pm ET

Bold teams are either significant for what they are, or what they've done recently in the cup. I know the winner of the Tucson/Phoenix match comes to San Antonio ... I'm hoping for Tucson.

3rd round draw for USOC:

• May 28: Philadelphia Union at Pittsburgh Riverhounds (USL) or vs. Ocean City Nor'Easters (PDL)
  • May 28: D.C. United at Richmond Kickers (USL) or vs. Icon FC (USASA)
  • May 28: New England Revolution at Rochester Rhinos (USL) or vs. GPS Portland Phoenix (PDL)
  • May 28: Chicago Fire at Charlotte Eagles (USL PRO) or vs. Seattle Sounders U-23 (PDL)
  • May 28: Colorado Rapids at Orlando City SC (USL) or vs. Ocala Stampede (PDL)
  • May 28: FC Dallas at Fort Lauderdale Strikes (NASL) or at Laredo Heat SC (PDL)
  • May 28: San Jose Earthquakes at Charleston Battery (USL) or at Portland Timbers U-23 (PDL)
  • May 28: Sporting Kansas City vs. Minnesota United FC (NASL), Des Moines Meance (PDL) OR Madison 56ers (NPSL)
  • May 28: Real Salt Lake vs. Atlanta Silverbacks (NASL) or Georgia Revolution (PDL)
  • May 28: Chivas USA at LA Blues (USL) or at Ventura County Fusion (PDL)
  • May 29: LA Galay at Carolina RailHawks (NASL) or at Carolina Dynamo (PDL)
  • May 29: Columbus Crew vs. Dayton Dutch Lions (USL) or Dearborn Stars (USASA)
  • May 29: New York Red Bulls vs. Harrisburg City Islanders (USL) or Reading United AC (PDL)
  • May 29: Houston Dynamo at San Antonio Scorpions (NASL) or vs. FC Tucson (PDL)
  • May 29: Seattle Sounders at Tampa Bay Rowdies (NASL) or vs. VSI Tampa Bay (USL)
  • May 29: Portland Timbers vs. Wilmington Hammerheads (USL) or Austin Aztex (PDL)

LOL Bruce Arena: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/05/16/bruce-arena-la-galaxys-cross-country-trip-us-open-cup-play-ridiculous-stupid .... what a pompous ass piece of shit.

Looking forward to potential rematch with Houston !

Kleberson was average, nothing more. He did not boss the midfield, and his touch was poor, much like the rest of the Union. The whole team played really poorly. Touches were awful, and the passing was shambolic. I haven't played competitively for two years now, but fuck, I can certainly play a through ball better than that. JackMac was woeful. No effort put in by him, and that is what holds him back from being a striker with a bright future in the game. He is lazy. MacMath had a great save to deny Donovan in the 2nd half when it was still 1-1, but that only counteracts his own goal... off his face.

This game is why the MLS gets the stereotyping it gets. Some truly awful football on display.

Wow, you're in the minority crowd (going by BigSoccer philly fans) about Kleberson. They echo the issues with the touch, but that's about it. I was only able to catch the first 20 minutes and IMO, outside of the 50/50 first touch, he was pretty damn good. I think the rest of the team being lazy/flat made some of the things look like him. He was (at least for those 20 minutes) quite clearly their best person going forward and 100% better than Keon at that spot.

You were there though, so was his first 20 that much better than the rest of the match ... or was I watching a different match ?

So Portland parted ways with Mosquera ... on the heels of news that Silvestre will be out 6-9 months with an ACL injury. That seems like rather bad business. Sucks for Silvestre as he'd really turned on the juice and was playing well after his poor opening night performance.

Bobby Convey has been traded to TFC, for a freaking 3rd round pick ... :( poor Bobby.

Apparently SKC were a bit unprofessional with how they handled the Convey trade... from Convey:

“I guess they just moved on and brought in other players," he said. "No one said anything to me. I literally had no idea. I walked into training yesterday at 9 in the morning and they had my locker cleaned out and they said, ‘Hey, Toronto called. You’re off to Toronto.’

"I talked to Peter for 30 seconds. Hopefully in the next CBA, we can sort that out for the players, so that doesn't happen to more players. It’s not a fun thing to go through.”

Sounders just killed Dallas' winning streak, 4-2. Bullshit red card on Blas Perez, but even after that Dallas looked really dangerous. Great game.

Sounders just killed Dallas' winning streak, 4-2. Bullshit red card on Blas Perez, but even after that Dallas looked really dangerous. Great game.

That was quite frustrating. I really thought an equalizer was going to come before that happened. As you said though, even down a man they were all over things.

I hope NY/LA doesn't suck today. It'd be great for the league to get another showcase match between the two biggest markets.