The New Kit Thread

Can anyone explain the size of Man Utd's new £75m per season deal with Adidas?

This is the same company that is only (..."only"...) paying Real Madrid £31m per season, and signed a new deal with Chelsea last year at £30m per season.

You can argue Chelsea v United global brand value (so I shan't bother), but to more than double Real's money is ridiculous.

Seriously, how come?

I'd imagine it's a combination of Man United's global reach and market demand stirred up by Warrior and Nike. That being said though, it seems like they have overpaid in relation to their other deals.

When did Madrid sign their deal? I can only imagine if a new deal is coming soon, it's going to be astronomical.

Can anyone explain the size of Man Utd's new £75m per season deal with Adidas?

This is the same company that is only (..."only"...) paying Real Madrid £31m per season, and signed a new deal with Chelsea last year at £30m per season.

You can argue Chelsea v United global brand value (so I shan't bother), but to more than double Real's money is ridiculous.

Seriously, how come?

600 million (allegedly) fans.

Southampton's kit is gorgeous. Both of them are in fact.

As for the Man United kit deal it's ridiculous. Yeah it's got global reach but they're not in the Champions League this year and there's no certainty they'll be back next year or the year after. Also Stok's right in that Real Madrid are surely a bigger brand these days and Adidas will now find themselves having to up Real's money hugely. Not a wise deal for Adidas.

Let's be honest., most advertising is ridiculous. Are Chevrolet going to recoup £53m a year by having their name on a Man Utd kit?

What self respecting adult goes out and buys a Chevrolet because it's on a football shirt?

I mean, there must be something in it, as much smarter people than me make all these deals. But seems a bit of a farce at times.

Its brand recognition, it's not a "Oh Man U are sponsored by them, I must by their car" it's more when you think about buying a car because you see the Chevrolet logo every week on Man U's kits you now think of them as a brand of car you could buy, its suggestive not an order to buy.

• Like 1