The Capital One Cup thread 2013/14

Lineker

You smash a ball into the area between two players and you've got a percentage chance of winning it. You put enough balls in and eventually you score, that's been Sams philosophy forever. It's also not something I've just invented...

But the problem he has now is its not playing to their strengths unless you've got someone who can win those percentage balls. Nolans suspended again, Carrolls out, they've had to recall Carlton Cole from presumably pub football and its just not working. He hasn't learned a thing from when he tried wellying high balls at Martins and Owen who are probably shorter than Carroll sat on each others shoulders, while the other bottom teams are actually attempting to play football.

It's beyond believe that a manager of Big Sam's experience put all his eggs in one basket by spending such a huge sum of money on a player who is as injury prone as Carroll.

He must be sick as a parrot but it's a game of two halves and it's not over till the fat lady sings.

They advertise in the Evening Standard most weeks with kids for a quid quite often. Seems nice, but then £42 as the lowest price for West Ham vs Cardiff or someone equally naff makes my eyes pop out. I know London premium and all that, but no wonder they don't sell out.

• 2 weeks later...