Champions League 2013/14

METALMAN

I just think it's incredibly harsh to give a penalty and send your goalkeeper off. If a defender is the last man and commits a foul then fair enough, but it just seems too much to send a keeper off on top of giving a pen.

I'd actually flip that the other way, if a defender takes someone out last man in the box they still have a keeper to beat and the pen is a similar situation, whereas in this case Robben's tapping it into an empty net if he isn't fouled, the penalty is actually a worse situation then he'd be in without the foul.
This is where the "penalty is enough of a goalscoring chance" argument sometimes doesn't hold up. In the situation you described, which happened tonight, it's not just denying a goalscoring chance, but denying a guaranteed goal.

The 'clear goalscoring opportunity' thing is too vague for me, foul a man with your last defender thirty yards out and it's a red despite the fact there's still a keeper to beat, whereas this was literally a tap in.

So, how about fouls by defenders where the GK is still in a position to make a save (the Messi incident) are booked and it's a pen, but players, not just goalkeepers who deny what's deemed to be a guaranteed goal are sent off?

I say players too as there could be a situation where the keeper is rounded and then a defender hacks someone down.