Champions League 2013/14

METALMAN

And Jamie Redknapp keeps cutting him off.

And once more for luck.

At least that time, Ballack just kept talking anyway.

Ballack has a point. Isn't a penalty enough of a punishment without sending the goalkeeper off?

Szczesny was sent off for denying a goalscoring opportunity. But surely a penalty is a goalscoring opportunity? It's a stupid rule and I don't know many people who actually agree with it.

I just think it's incredibly harsh to give a penalty and send your goalkeeper off. If a defender is the last man and commits a foul then fair enough, but it just seems too much to send a keeper off on top of giving a pen.

I'd actually flip that the other way, if a defender takes someone out last man in the box they still have a keeper to beat and the pen is a similar situation, whereas in this case Robben's tapping it into an empty net if he isn't fouled, the penalty is actually a worse situation then he'd be in without the foul.

• Like 2

I just think it's incredibly harsh to give a penalty and send your goalkeeper off. If a defender is the last man and commits a foul then fair enough, but it just seems too much to send a keeper off on top of giving a pen.

I'd actually flip that the other way, if a defender takes someone out last man in the box they still have a keeper to beat and the pen is a similar situation, whereas in this case Robben's tapping it into an empty net if he isn't fouled, the penalty is actually a worse situation then he'd be in without the foul.

This is where the "penalty is enough of a goalscoring chance" argument sometimes doesn't hold up. In the situation you described, which happened tonight, it's not just denying a goalscoring chance, but denying a guaranteed goal.

I hate it when games like this get a red card, I really wanted to see what the result would be with eleven a side. Same as yesterday. For what it's worth I want arsenal to win. I'll always back an English team to win in Europe. Except Liverpool.

Well both Arsenal and Manchester City would have played with eleven men if it wasn't for absolutely stupid tackles that were entirely their own fault.