Champions League 2013/14

METALMAN

Chelsea's squad changes for the knockout stages of the Champions League are a little bit funny.

OUT

Juan Mata

Kevin de Bruyne

Ryan Bertrand

(Michael Essien was never in the squad to begin with)

IN

Nathan Ake (18 year old defender)

Tomas Kalas (20 year old defender)

Henrique Hilario (HE'S STILL HERE!)

Mitchell Beeney (18 year old goalkeeper)

Bit of a flag that you're not taking a competition all that seriously this year when you bring in fourth and fifth goalkeepers. :shifty:

They're not taking it seriously? Really? Why?

Jamal Blackman was already in the squad as the third goalkeeper, yes.

Hilario's been here nearly 8 years and has made 20 appearances (according to wiki).

If he had been at Newcastle instead he'd be given a testimonial and called a club legend.

They're not taking it seriously? Really? Why?

Just because I think they accept that they're not in a good position to make a really strong push for it this year (of course signing key players who are cup-tied is obviously quite limiting anyway).

Sure, we could fluke our way to the final again but otherwise I doubt there are any solid expectations beyond probably-beating-Galatasaray.

Saying you wouldn't mind Athletico is a bit silly. They're level on points with Barcelona, behind on goals scored and 5 ahead of Real Madrid. They've only conceded 9 goals this season too.

It's all well and good with Welbeck and Cleverly running wild on a woeful Aston Villa but Athletico would absolutely trounce Man United.

Atletico would wipe the floor with Man Utd, they're above Real Madrid and joint top with Barcelona in La Liga.

Oh dear :lol:

Anyway, probably about the perfect draw. Good tie for ourselves. Can't stand Galatasaray or Chelsea, so that's all good. City/Barca and Arsenal/Bayern is perfect too. If City and/or Arsenal pull it off, it means one or two of pretty much the top two clubs are gone. If they don't, no worries, it's a win/win.

Wouldn't be surprised to see City pull it off. It'll come down to whether Messi is available and fit at the time. Will be a bloody brilliant tie either way.

Just noticed this post but I stand by my original statement, right now Atletico are top of La Liga, Man Utd just lost to Stoke. Man Utd have lost 8x more than Atletico in the league this season.

They're one of the best sides in Europe right now and the only team the draw is good for is Atletico as United are a bit shit this season.

• 2 weeks later...

Lineups:

Man City: Hart, Zabaleta, Kompany, Demichelis, Clichy, Jesus Navas, Fernandinho, Toure, Kolarov, Silva, Negredo.

Subs: Pantilimon, Richards, Lescott, Nasri, Dzeko, Javi Garcia, Jovetic.

Barcelona: Valdes, Dani Alves, Pique, Mascherano, Jordi Alba, Xavi, Busquets, Fabregas, Alexis, Messi, Iniesta.

Subs: Pinto, Pedro, Neymar, Bartra, Song, Adriano, Sergi Roberto.

Needless to say, I am not confident of getting anything here.

This could be the point of view of a fan of a shit team, but Man City keep winning free kicks on that wing, why not send the big lads up and whip it in? Surely better than going back to a centre half and start again.

• Like 1

I'll be back home in about fifteen minutes. is the Barcelona game worth watching?

Yes.

But it's basically been all Barcelona in terms of possession, yet City have come just as close, if not closer to scoring.

I actually love watching Barca play. They do over pass it, but they keep the ball so well. They're often left frustrated by teams that can actually defend though.

Hoping there's at least one goal tonight - I've been looking forward to this game for ages. :shifty:

I actually love watching Barca play. They do over pass it, but they keep the ball so well. They're often left frustrated by teams that can actually defend though.

That's because all they do is wait for the opponent to make a mistake. In a way it's even more horribly 'negative' (to further abuse a term already abused beyond recognition in football) than teams who come to just defend against them, because they hold the initiative for so long during the match but do fuck all with it.

• Like 1